Nervous about upcoming trip - Bussing

mom2OandE

Mouseketeer
I don't know about all of you but we've had a few interesting experiences on the busses. It's dh and I and our two kids. We don't usually stay all night at the parks as our kids have been afraid of fireworks, etc. This year though they enjoyed our FOJ fireworks locally so we are eager to try at DW. So..in the past at the end of a long night/day we've gone to load up on the busses and of course there are lots and lots of people. It never fails that my kids are sleeping, so I end up holding both kiddos while dh manages the stroller and backpack. On at least 1/2 a dozen occassionas I have STOOD with both kiddos in my arms on the bus and no one has offered us a seat.

Now I realize that EVERYONE is tired at the end of a long day. Personally I would never take a seat and leave someone holding one child much less two standing. We've even waited before when we could tell this would happen and once got off a bus. It's very hard to stand and balance yourself while holding a child on each hip. DS is special needs too so that makes it harder as he is "floppy".

This year they are 4 and 5 so we are talking about 80lbs of kids. I'm hoping they will still be awake when it's time to leave but chances are ds will fall asleep on the walk to the bus. He has PDD-NOS and universal delays and tires easily. I wasn't even nervous until dh said to me this morning "have you been working out or do you want to carry the stroller this year?" I wanted to hit him over the head with a frying pan and tell him not to make me worry about this until it actually happens! Last year we rented a car to avoid this.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has had this experience. This is not to say that we haven't been offered seats ever - We have. It's just the occassionas when we haven't that really make you sad.

Have you considered renting a car again this year? Since you have a special situation with your son, I think renting would be the best way to go. Our oldest also has special needs and doesn't like to touch strangers. Crowded buses just don't work for him so we rent.

You're bound to encounter bus rides when there are no seats and no one seems willing to give one up for you. So, having a car seems like the way to go. Have a great trip!:)

Why put your family in the bus line, when you can tram to your car and have an easy night and trip? What is there about the bus that makes you want to put your family in that situtaution?? Rent a car!

Obviously it's expensive to rent a car, but if it's in your budget, I agree with prior posters that it seems like a good choice for your situation.

I don't blame you for being apprehensive about the buses, and agree that it's sad that nobody would give up their seat to a woman holding 2 sleeping kids. Shame on all those folks! Though I'm sure you'll get some responses from people who can justify sitting comfortably while they watch you teeter and wobble. It takes all kinds.

I hope you have a great trip!

Get a Guest Accest Card and get permission to use your stroller as a wheel chair for your child whith the disabilty. Then you wont have to fold up the stroller and can use the accessable bus and this may help you.

Luckily, our 5 year old can wake up pretty well when we need him to. Have you tried this- just to see if he will be able to make it up onto the bus? If so - I would wait for one where there is a seat. Don't forget - the kids can continue sleeping in the stroller for the next 10 minutes while you wait for the next bus. I would just plan on NOT getting on a standing-room-only bus.

We don't do many late nights at the parks for this reason - we do a couple, but my kids are early-to-bed so we try to stay on schedule most nights.

Also - this is just about as difficult to do on a tram (VERY difficult to get on with a sleeping child or two), so actually - unless you park close enough to walk to your car - I don't think it makes this situation that much easier.

I don't know about all of you but we've had a few interesting experiences on the busses. It's dh and I and our two kids. We don't usually stay all night at the parks as our kids have been afraid of fireworks, etc. This year though they enjoyed our FOJ fireworks locally so we are eager to try at DW. So..in the past at the end of a long night/day we've gone to load up on the busses and of course there are lots and lots of people. It never fails that my kids are sleeping, so I end up holding both kiddos while dh manages the stroller and backpack. On at least 1/2 a dozen occassionas I have STOOD with both kiddos in my arms on the bus and no one has offered us a seat.

Now I realize that EVERYONE is tired at the end of a long day. Personally I would never take a seat and leave someone holding one child much less two standing. We've even waited before when we could tell this would happen and once got off a bus. It's very hard to stand and balance yourself while holding a child on each hip. DS is special needs too so that makes it harder as he is "floppy".

This year they are 4 and 5 so we are talking about 80lbs of kids. I'm hoping they will still be awake when it's time to leave but chances are ds will fall asleep on the walk to the bus. He has PDD-NOS and universal delays and tires easily. I wasn't even nervous until dh said to me this morning "have you been working out or do you want to carry the stroller this year?" I wanted to hit him over the head with a frying pan and tell him not to make me worry about this until it actually happens! Last year we rented a car to avoid this.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has had this experience. This is not to say that we haven't been offered seats ever - We have. It's just the occassionas when we haven't that really make you sad.

This past month we went to WDW, and I too noticed that there were many times that ppl. that looked and seemed perfectly able many times didn't offer a seat to a kid, or a parent holding a child ect. It also made me pretty sad. I guess maybe it's because I have kids (although I saw a few Dad's sitting on buses, while their wives were sitting holding their child and the Dad still wouldn't get for someone else) but I could never imagine sitting in a seat by myself while a child or parent holding a child was standing. It really does just make me so dissappointed in us as a society. Don't get me wrong, there were many times when ppl. including us (I have a 6 year old and 17 month old) were offered seats, and more times than not we or others were, but it still is so shocking to me that not everyone is like that. You may want to consider renting a car, but that's up to you and your budget. We made it work, and also offered our seats if we weren't holding a child, but I know how hard it is to balance with just a 17 month old on you or just a stroller let alone a 4 &/or 5 year old. Good luck!

If you don't want to rent a car, you can always hop in a cab.

Also, if the bus is crowded, you can just step to the side and wait for the next one. The kids can sleep in the stroller while you're waiting. When the next bus comes, you'll be the first ones on so no need to worry about getting a seat.

Some of the people you saw sitting may have let a bus pass in order to have a seat.

If it looks like you will have to stand step aside and wait for the next bus We did that plenty of times and never had to stand.

Also keep in mind that people may "look perfectly healthy", but in fact are not. We travel with my Dad who is 68, but looks 50, he also has two artificial hips, so we will wait for another bus if one is too crowded...he MUST sit down because if he loses his balance, he could pop his hip out of place. We travel with my mom, who has knee issues, same deal.

We just accept that there are times when we need to wait for the next bus, even if we are tired. My DS9 knows that's just the way it is, and he takes special care of his grandparents, making sure they have good seats and are comfortable.

Best of luck on your next trip...enjoy!

Also keep in mind that people may "look perfectly healthy", but in fact are not. We travel with my Dad who is 68, but looks 50, he also has two artificial hips, so we will wait for another bus if one is too crowded...he MUST sit down because if he loses his balance, he could pop his hip out of place. We travel with my mom, who has knee issues, same deal.

We just accept that there are times when we need to wait for the next bus, even if we are tired. My DS9 knows that's just the way it is, and he takes special care of his grandparents, making sure they have good seats and are comfortable.

Best of luck on your next trip...enjoy!

Thank you for that...you took the words out of my mouth.

We avoid busses like the plaque...even if we have a seat I really dislike the cattle feel. If we can't avoid it though we typically try to catch the bus before the end of fireworks. The kids get to see a good portion of the show but we don't have to deal with the onslaught of people at the end. Last year we left MNSSHP during the middle of the fireworks and we had the bus to ourselves on the way back.

Otherwise I agree with others about renting a car...the problem with the general public is you really can't count on basic manners. I personally don't think I've ever been so tired that I wouldn't get up so a mother could sit with her sleeping babies....regardless of how many busses I waited for. Thats just the way I was raised (and how I want to raise my children)..and its just my opinion.

Otherwise I agree with others about renting a car...the problem with the general public is you really can't count on basic manners. I personally don't think I've ever been so tired that I wouldn't get up so a mother could sit with her sleeping babies....regardless of how many busses I waited for. Thats just the way I was raised (and how I want to raise my children)..and its just my opinion.

I totally agree. I understand that ppl. with medical issues need to sit, and I'm totally for that, but I don't care how many buses I, or my children (when they're old enough,) wait for; I'll never sit while an elderly, child, or parent holding a child stands, and neither will my children. I think it's just common courtesy.

Get a Guest Accest Card and get permission to use your stroller as a wheel chair for your child whith the disabilty. Then you wont have to fold up the stroller and can use the accessable bus and this may help you.

I believe the GAC is only good in the park. The stroller can't be treated as a wheelchair on the bus for safety reasons - you can't properly secure it. Not safe for the child or for other passengers.

I have to agree with others - if having a seat is a priority, then a rental car might be best. If the budget won't allow for that, then waiting for the next bus might be your best option. Just stand aside and let those willing to stand pass you by and you'll be first in line for the next bus.

Well I talked to dh about it after he made me all nervous. We are only planning two late nights and we are just going to do our best to wait for a bus where we can sit. We just did not budget in a rental car this year and honestly were looking forward to our first trip without our big ol carseats. If I have to I will just wake dd up and she may cry but she can at least get herself off / on the bus if she has too. Like I said though we will wait for an empty bus.

My dh never sits on a crowded bus and if it's crowded I usually put at least one child on my lamp. There have even been occassions where I have my kiddos share a seat and I stand in front of them to give another mother/elderly person my seat. It's just common courtesy IMO.

I'm also fully aware that there are many dissabilities that are not visible. If my son is having a good day no one would ever know he is special needs. My daughter is also technically special needs but only those who know her history are aware of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter