Nervous about FP cancellation emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScrapYap

DIS Veteran
I booked my FP at 60 days for a trip in early June.

My party of four became a party of five, so we decided to move off-site. My fifth wheel is unreliable and I'm afraid may back out. So I haven't cancelled my Disney resort reservation yet.

However, with talk of cancellation emails and possibly cancelled FP, I want to prepare.

If it's true that FP will be cancelled inside 30 days (after an onsite reservation is cancelled), should I go ahead and cancel all my FP and rebook them? Fortunately, my group only likes tame rides and we have no headliners planned at all. We literally have FP for Barnstormer, so rebooking FP is not a big problem - except for being time-consuming.

I guess the safest thing is to cancel my All Stars reservation (which will be inside 30 days tomorrow). Then cancel and rebook the FP. Or should I wait and see what happens, then rebook if the FP poof?

I'm wondering how long it will take Disney to delete the FP. If they cancel them within a few days, that will actually save me the trouble of going in and clicking "cancel" for every single one! On the other hand, if they don't delete them until right before my park days, it might be tricky to get the same times I have now. And I don't like the feeling of it hanging over my head.

Just wondering if anyone else has received an email about cancelled FP and then saw the FP poof. How much time elapsed between the email and the poof? I guess I might give it a week, then go in and rebook everything to be on the safe side, whether they've been cancelled or not.

Not necessarily correct. The loopholes are closing.
Nobody seems to be talking about “loopholes”. The OP just asked an honest question and is looking for feedback. I'd guess others of us here are also following to get answers to these Qs:
...Just wondering if anyone else has received an email about cancelled FP and then saw the FP poof. How much time elapsed between the email and the poof?...

Last edited:

OP: I had a friend who had to move offsite for the 2nd portion of a split stay and I seem to recall they got some sort of email warning but nothing ever got cancelled. It was a few weeks ago. I honestly don’t know enough to give a clear answer on what happened though. I hope folks can give you guidance from (recent) real life experiences on this one. :) And I appreciate where you’re coming from and how you’re approaching it.

I think I'll go ahead and cancel the resort reservation tomorrow, since I'd like the whole thing settled, one way or the other. I'll be just inside 30 days. My last FP booking is June 12, so I won't be able to rebook that one for a week. I might as well just wait and see if any of the FP are cancelled. My crazy cousin's only request is to ride Under the Sea four times. Something about bellies. I have no idea what she means. So we'll do that right at rope drop which means the first FP doesn't need to start until maybe 10:00 a.m.

Following...I have an acquaintance in a similar situation, so I'm looking at all of their alternatives so I can help them make the best choice possible for their trip.

Gosh I’m a terrible person, if I had an unreliable 5th wheel asking to come on a trip that was already booked I’d just let them sort their own room out, I wouldn’t move offsite. I’m a selfish vacationer, this is why I could never travel in a big group. You’re a nicer person than me OP!

I wouldn't cancel until you're 100% sure your cousin will be coming or whenever you are allowed to cancel by without a penalty. Also if your plan is to ride Under the Sea 4 times you should have no trouble doing that at almost any time of day with no waiting. I don't think I'd use rope drop time for that. Get a couple other rides done first like Winnie the Pooh or Peter Pan or Jungle Cruise, Buzz Light Year. Those are the tame rides that get long lines quickly.

I wouldn't cancel until you're 100% sure your cousin will be coming or whenever you are allowed to cancel by without a penalty. Also if your plan is to ride Under the Sea 4 times you should have no trouble doing that at almost any time of day with no waiting. I don't think I'd use rope drop time for that. Get a couple other rides done first like Winnie the Pooh or Peter Pan or Jungle Cruise, Buzz Light Year. Those are the tame rides that get long lines quickly.

That's a good point about rope drop.

I'm worried if I don't cancel early enough, there won't be time to rebook the FP. If I cancelled a week before, I could probably still get most of them back, but it would be a little harder -and stressful not to know when or if the FP would poof. Like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It would be nice if Disney was consistent with their FP cancellations. Then people would know what to expect and plan accordingly. Let us all know how it goes OP.
Consistent? Disney IT? I don't think there is much chance of that, ever.
Expecting inconsistency is probably wise when considering cancelling resort reservations that have 60 day+ FP's.

Expecting inconsistency is probably wise when considering cancelling resort reservations that have 60 day+ FP's.

I'm pretty sure FP are being deleted outside 30 days (when a resort reservation is cancelled) - but not with consistency. In a group of five, you might see one FP mysteriously remain. I wonder why. Maybe random, maybe not.

Inside 30 days has always been another story. I've looked online, and I haven't seen anyone say that their FP were cancelled inside 30 days. But the loopholes certainly are being closed, more and more. So I would expect that day to come. I'd just like to know if it's already here.

Yesterday on another thread it appears that WDW may have started canceling FP’s that were attached to reservations cancelled within 30 days. It does appear that as of now WDW is still being inconsistent with this policy. Imagine that.
Was thread here on the Dis? I hadn’t noticed it, but I’d be interested to read it. If it’s not too much trouble, could you provide a link to that thread? Or maybe point me in the right direction? TIA.

The thread I read recently was a slightly different situation. The person had an AP and (I believe) 8 days of FP booked with an onsite stay. Once the onsite stay was cancelled, that person received notice about cancelling FP. It is likely because an AP can only have 7 days of FP booked without an onsite resort stay.

OP, you don’t mention having APs so I think you are fine. However, I do agree with the suggestion to wait and cancel just before penalty so if your 5th person drops out you can still stay onsite.

Enjoy your vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter