Neighborhoods that are like living on a College Campus

paisleys

DIS Veteran
I love our home and immediate neighbors. However, thanks to social media it has become like a sorority the past couple of years. Every week these moms have a new 'cause' that they demand you participate in. Right now, they are demanding that everyone put a banner on their home declaring their support for a specific cause. If you don't have the banner, they pound on your door several times a week to try to 'convince' you to display it. They also make lists on our neighborhood social media site that describe who is participating and who isn't (lucky we can use this to track when they are coming door to door!). The cause is a good one, but I'm just tired of being bullied in my own home and purposely refusing the banner this time. It would be much easier to acquiesce and just display the stupid banner but it's never-ending! I feel like this is our house and property and we should not be badgered into these things when we are home. It wasn't like this when we moved in years ago. Does anyone else experience things like this in their neighborhood? We've been here awhile and it wasn't like this years ago.

I think next time they knocked on my door I'd suggest that they actually do something to support their cause - like volunteer work or doing something to raise $$$ (other than banging on neighbors doors and demanding donations) instead of putting up banners and annoying people.

I would have no problem telling them that I don't plan on participating in that kind of stuff- ever. If they didn't get the message and they kept bothering me I'd have no problem mentioning the police and harassment.

Get one of these
71uzHwAmfaL._SX342_.jpg

I would have no problem telling them that I don't plan on participating in that kind of stuff- ever. If they didn't get the message and they kept bothering me I'd have no problem mentioning the police and harassment.

Get one of these
71uzHwAmfaL._SX342_.jpg
This!

I would state very firmly that they are not to come to my door or put me on any lists. I would also get a ‘No Trespassing’ sign.

This would be my worst nightmare. I do not think I’d have the patience to be kind about it past the first time.

eta: We are friendly with our neighbors but I declined to be involved in any neighborhood social media or neighborhood groups right off the bat. IMO there’s such a thing as having too much knowledge. As long as they’re not destroying my property or bothering my family I really don’t care what my neighbors do or are doing.

Last edited:
That's nuts!

We have a very active community social media presence, but it's all about lost pets, what's going on at the community center, and pictures of wildlife in people's back yards (alligator pics very popular right now). No one has lost their mind.

This sounds very self-serving, pat-on-the-back to me. What's the point in everyone in the whole neighborhood displaying the same banner? Whose minds/opinions are they going to change/affect when everyone is already of the same mind? They'd be better off doing something real to help. Of course, then they'd be banging on your door wanting you to donate money to their causes. Maybe you'd be better off just displaying the banner. :D

Get one of these
71uzHwAmfaL._SX342_.jpg
I made up a “Absolutely No solicitation” sign and put it right by the doorbell, plus I now have Doorbell Ring Device so I can see who is at door. The sign cut down dramatically on bothersome solicitation and I love our Doorbell Ring, should have gotten this a few years ago.

After hearing and reading some crazy stories about suburban neighborhoods, think our eldest DS and DIL have the right idea, they live in a high rise in NYC around NYU, mainly young professionals in building. People are quite busy building careers,no fraternization with neighbors. If they see someone coming or leaving building, they say hello and that’s it. Both DS and DIL grew up in suburbia, but for now live City Life. Have a big circle of friends, not looking to befriend anyone in building, happy that way.:goodvibes

I made up a “Absolutely No solicitation” sign and put it right by the doorbell, plus I now have Doorbell Ring Device so I can see who is at door. The sign cut down dramatically on bothersome solicitation and I love our Doorbell Ring, should have gotten this a few years ago.

Love my ring! I never have to answer the door to solicitors.

I live up on a mountain and can barely even see my neighbors. That's the way I like it. We've lived here over 20 years and I don't think I've ever met the people next door.

I have found in these situations you have to be extremely forward and direct. "No we are not going to hang this banner or participate in any future causes."

I have found in these situations you have to be extremely forward and direct. "No we are not going to hang this banner or participate in any future causes."
“And quit banging on my door, Karen.” :rotfl2:

Seriously though, you need to explicitly state that they are not to come to your door and/or knock on it. Being neighbors they might think the “no soliciting” sign does not apply to them. You have to be very clear that it absolutely does.

Last edited:
Not what I expected based on the title. I thought it would be residential areas near large universities that have a campus vibe.

I have no patience for what OP described. Back when I was in college I don't think the sororities were that bad.

I'm glad I live in a neighborhood where people keep to themselves for the most part.

Honestly don’t think a no-solitation sign will stop neighbors. Probably wouldn’t stop me from ringing a neighbor’s door. I am not a stranger. Think here you need to verbally tell them NO.

So everyone on your block has a banner on their home? thats tacky as heck. I'd call the code dept and see if they can even do this - I get that its free speech and all that, but dang, are they making the area look bad?

As crazy as our HOA is, no banners or signs are allowed (I was told I could put up two balloons at the mailbox when my twins were born!). Now, during October/November many, many people broke that rule, but at least I would have a fall back as to why I wouldn't display the sign.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!