Neighbor: Crazy or Justified?

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
Just curious to hear your take on this situation....

Around a month ago, I ordered some Spring jackets from Carters/Oshkosh for my toddlers. The package never arrived, which I thought was bizarre, because we have never not received a package since moving into our home.

Called Fedex and their records state the package was delivered. Called Oshkosh & they offered to resend it, but the jackets were now out of stock in their sizes. Finally, I gave up.

One month later and the lady who lives next door to us is walking her dog while we were out in our yard. She started chatting with us and let me know that she has my package! I was so excited for my kids to get their jackets. I asked her if I could come over and get it and she says.....No-?? She said she was sorry, but she was very angry with Fedex for delivering my package to her house & that they have delivered my packages to her house 2 other times this year. She told me I would need to call Fedex and ask them to come out and pick up the package from her doorstep & deliver it to my house. Mind you, I live right next door to her & she walks by my house every day to walk her dog. I was a bit taken aback, but didn't want to cause a fight with her because nothing good comes out of fighting with your next door neighbor. She asked if there was anything breakable in there and I said no, but explained that my toddler's spring jackets were in there & I would love for them to get some use out of them before spring is over. She didn't seem to care.

I ended up calling Fedex to explain the situation. They said it was the craziest story they've heard. They ended up coming out & picking up the package from my neighbor's front steps....and walking it over to my steps. So, all is resolved now.

What do you think about this-was my neighbor's response justified? I just can't imagine withholding a package from a neighbor.

Last edited:

Just curious to hear your take on this situation....

Around a month ago, I ordered some Spring jackets from Carters/Oshkosh for my toddlers. The package never arrived, which I thought was bizarre, because we have never not received a package since moving into our home.

Called Fedex and their records state the package was delivered. Called Oshkosh & they offered to resend it, but the jackets were now out of stock in their sizes. Finally, I gave up.

One month later and the lady who lives next door to us is walking her dog while we were out in our yard. She started chatting with us and let me know that she has my package! I was so excited for my bkids to get their jackets. I asked her if I could come over and get it and she says.....No-?? She said she was sorry, but she was very angry with Fedex for delivering my package to her house & that they have delivered my packages to her house 2 other times this year. She told me I would need to call Fedex and ask them to come out and pick up the package from her doorstep & deliver it to my house. Mind you, I live right next door to her & she walks by my house every day to walk her dog. I was a bit taken aback, but din't want to cause a fight with her because nothing good comes out of fighting with your next door neighbor. She asked if there was anything breakable in there and I said no, but explained that my toddler's spring jackets were in there & I would love for them to get some use out of them before spring is over. She didn't seem to care.

I ended up calling Fedex to explain the situation. They said it was the craziest story they've heard. They ended up coming out & picking up the package from my neighbor's front steps....and walking it over to my steps. So, all is resolved now.

What do you think about this-was my neighbor's response justified? I just can't imagine withholding a package from a neighbor.
She sounds a little (okay, a lot) nuts. We have neighbors that we call our “mail twins.” They are across the way on the other half of the street. Our number is 9229 and theirs is 9329. We regularly get and drop off mail to each other. It’s not a big deal. I can only think of one time I asked Fed Ex to come out and re deliver. It was a big, heavy package, totally wrong street and my DH was out town.

Time to move. Seriously if it were me, I'd already be looking for a new house. That is C-R-A-Z-Y.
And she had it for a month, jeez.

Thanks. I thought the whole thing was bizarre as well & I felt bad asking Fedex to make what seemed like such a wasted trip out here. I can't imagine holding on to someone else's package for a whole month & not even alerting them. Fedex suggested I just walk over there & get it, but I was so weirded out by my conversation with her that I was afraid if I went over there, she would accuse me of trespassing.

We don't know this lady very well. I think she is recently divorced, because we haven't noticed her husband around in over a year. He was always very friendly to us & our kids. We do actually have plans to move in the next two years (not because of her), so hoping for a more positive neighborly experience next time around!

Crazy. By keeping your package, she essentially stole it IMO. What kind of neighbor won't deliver a simple package next door or at least tell their neighbor so they can come get it?

The lady I spoke with from Fedex also suggested we file a police report, but I didn't want to make the situation worse, since she lives right next door to me & at that point I was questioning her stability. It just wasn't worth the $40 in kids jackets.

Thanks. I thought the whole thing was bizarre as well & I felt bad asking Fedex to make what seemed like such a wasted trip out here. I can't imagine holding on to someone else's package for a whole month & not even alerting them. Fedex suggested I just walk over there & get it, but I was so weirded out by my conversation with her that I was afraid if I went over there, she would accuse me of trespassing.

We don't know this lady very well. I think she is recently divorced, because we haven't noticed her husband around in over a year. He was always very friendly to us & our kids. We do actually have plans to move in the next two years (not because of her), so hoping for a more positive neighborly experience next time around!

I know it may not be convenient for everyone, but getting a UPS box as your receiving address is really a lifesaver. Most of our things were getting messed with, had stuff stolen off the porch. We got a UPS box, that solved all the problems, no more incorrect deliveries, and no stolen packages.

And you wouldn't have to deal with your loony neighbor.

Last edited:
I know it may not be convenient for everyone, but getting a UPS box as your receiving address is really a lifesaver. Most of our things were getting messed with, had stuff stolen off the porch. We got a UPS box, that solved all the problems, no move incorrect deliveries, and no stolen packages.

And you wouldn't have to deal with your loony neighbor.

That's a good idea, thank you. I've been nervous to order anything else online for fear of having to deal with this again!

DD had a package not arrive. Delivery company said it was delivered. A week later, someone from two blocks away, different street, NOT the same house numbers as us, come by with it. I'm glad she brought it by, and I have had mail....not packages misdelivered and I ether put it in the right mailbox if it is close, or put it back in my mailbox with the flag up. So not sure why she waited a week.

Wow! Sounds mentally unstable. I would have filed a report like they suggested. I would also keep my eye on that house. So sorry that you have a neighbor like that.

Completely bonkers. Who holds a neighbor's property hostage because a delivery company messed up! That is so bizarre.

However, I wouldn't feel too badly about this:

I felt bad asking Fedex to make what seemed like such a wasted trip out here.

Because they did mistakenly deliver it and you were left high and dry as the result.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter