Needing a good dose of our "Happy Place" Updated 11/11

dismom9761

DIS Veteran
We haven't been to Disney since 2009. That was our fifth trip and I used to spend a ton of time on these boards!!:banana: The kids started at a private school and while it was the best decision EVER for our family it emptied our pockets.:scared:
We experienced a family tragedy three months ago and we need something to cheer our kids up; something to look forward to. There will be no more putting things off. Therefore, we are going to Disney!! I am hoping that doing a pretrip report will help me get organized. It has been so long I can barely remember where to start. Plus I tried to go during less busy times but not this trip. :scared1:

The cast
Me- Amy I am 37 yrs old. I am not currently working and concentrating all my time on my children.

DH-Dean He is 44 yrs old and a great father. After work he coaches football at my kids' school

DS15- Peyton will be 16 yrs old when we go. He plays baseball and football. He loves spending time with his friends

DD14- Bekah She plays softball, basketball, and tennis. She is my drama queen and is always surrounded by friends.

DD9- Rachel or RaeRae She is a bundle of energy. She plays softball and basketball. She sticks fairly close to me lately.

Not going with us is my oldest son DS17. We lost him in a car accident on May 18. We are still learning to live without him. People keep telling us to get the kids out of town and give them something to look forward to. We chose Disney as our destination because Tyler hated Disney and it won't remind us of him at every turn.

I will figure out photobucket (been a long time)and will post pictures. I will also start on the actual report. I am determined to give my kids a great trip but my mind is mush! will definitely need help/advice popcorn::

0ur dates are November 23-30.Yep,Thanksgiving week. We had to have a time when the kids wouldn't miss too much school. I also decided that it would help us get through the holiday, one of Tyler's favorites. We will actually be leaving on November 22 and stopping along the way. We may stay an extra day and meet up with friends that have a daughter playing in a soccer tournament at Wide World of Sports.

I am thinking about making a count down calendar, especially for Rae's benefit. I think it would help her get excited. I need to look at a previous report I did( a long time ago) to get some inspiration. Anyone have a favorite way of doing one?

81 days to go!!:banana::yay:

RACHEL on test track 3 yrs old

I'll join in! I am so incredibly sorry for the loss of your son, I cannot even imagine that pain. I hope that this trip gives your family exactly what you need right now.

I'm in and I am also sorry for your loss! :hug: He is a great looking kid.

Disney is a great choice to use as a getaway because it has a way of helping us escape reality for a little while.

I don't know much but if you have any questions feel free to post them and I'll try to help you!

I am so sorry for all that you and your family have suffered, and you all deserve a wonderful trip to Disney World! You sound like an incredible person, and I look forward to reading your report!

:surfweb:
I'm in and I am also sorry for your loss! :hug: He is a great looking kid.

Disney is a great choice to use as a getaway because it has a way of helping us escape reality for a little while.

I don't know much but if you have any questions feel free to post them and I'll try to help you!
Thank you for reading!.:wave2:
I am so sorry for all that you and your family have suffered, and you all deserve a wonderful trip to Disney World! You sound like an incredible person, and I look forward to reading your report!
Welcome!:thumbsup2

We have been experiencing a bit of a "rough patch" here with school/football starting. The kids going back to school without their Senior brother...But I do have an update coming up..:surfweb:

When I started this report we were staying offsite with only a few table service meals planned. This has all changed. We are staying at the Caribbean with Free Dining!! :cool1: We are so excited!!:thumbsup2

Also we are being joined by my mom, my sister and her family, and a friend with her two boys.:goodvibes

The last few nights I have been reading the forums and putting together my packing list. I have put a laundry basket in the office and started putting items for Disney in it. :surfweb: It has been mentioned that we may need a U-Haul to carry it all.:confused3We will see if I take it all and will be interesting to find what was useful and what wasted space

Amy’s Ultimate Packing List

Clothing and Accessories
Rae- nine outfits
Nine pair panties
Five bras
Swimsuit/cover-up
Three pair pajamas
Socks
Two pair shoes
Hair bows
Flip flops
Light jacket
Day bag
Pins and lanyards
Autograph book
Hat/visor
Both glasses and hard cases
Galaxy tablet and charger
DS, games, and charger
School work
Earbuds
Rebekah-nine outfits
Nine pair panties
Five bras
Swimsuit/cover-up
Three Pajama shirts
Socks
Cell phone and charger
Two pair shoes
Hair bows
Flip flops
Light jacket or sweatshirt
Day bag
Hat/visor
Both glasses and hard case
School work
Earbuds
Peyton-nine outfits
Nine pair boxers
Nine pair socks
Swimsuit
Belt
Two pair shoes
Flip flops
Cell phone and charger
Watch
Day bag
Hat/visor
Both glasses and hard case
School work
earbuds
Amy-nine outfits
Nine pair panties
Five bras
Three pair pajamas
Two pair shoes
Belt
Flip flops
Cell phone and charger
Light jacket and sweatshirt
Day bag
Sunglasses
Glasses
Nook
Dean-nine outfits
Nine pair boxers
Nine pair socks
Swimsuit
Two pair shoes
Belt
Flip flops
Sunglasses
Hat/visor
Cell phone and charger
Glasses

Toiletries
Tweezers
Safety pins
Hairbands
Contacts (Dean and Amy)
Contact solution and cases
Nail clippers
Hairbrush
Hair serum
Toothbrushes
Toothpaste
Deodorant (Amy, Dean, Bekah, Peyton)
Shaving crème and razor
Lotion
Face lotion
Makeup (Rebekah)
Body wash/Face wash
Shampoo/conditioner

First Aid
Moleskin
Travel tissues
Small first aid kit and Band-Aids
Small Eyeglass repair kit (dollar store)
Spray deodorant (for feet to prevent blisters) OR Band-Aid Friction Block stick
Tylenol/ibuprofen
Junior Advil
Lorcet
Neosporin
Small hand sanitizer
Pink eye meds
Inhaler
Steroids (liquid and pills)
Tums (bottle and small rolls)
Chapstick (several)
Small sunscreen
Airborne
Dean’s prescription meds
AZO
Midol (better for back pain-guys too)
Medicine cups
Cough drops
Migraine meds
Eczema cream
Tampons/pads
Adult and children’s Benadryl
Melatonin
Imodium

Food
Crystal lite packets
Bottled water
Fruit snacks
Granola bars (Dips and Regular)
Pretzels
Chex mix
Pecan twirls
Raisins
Cereal and milk
Pop tarts
Combos

Room Organization and Comfort
Fan for sleeping
Over door shoe holder (organize toiletries/misc)
Mini collapsible bins (Dollar store)(for keys, etc on table)
Pump soap
Nightlight
Dawn dish detergent pads (wash the mugs!)
Slip mat for tub (our room and mom’s)
Pop up hamper (dollar store)
Paper bowls and spoons (cereal)
Amy’s blankie
Kids travel pillows
Paper towels
Clips or clothespins
Kleenex

Miscellaneous Items
Ziploc bags (all sizes)
Travel pack wipes
Computer and chords to charge and download pics
Glow bracelets/necklaces
Scissors
Laundry detergent (travel size or sheets)
Stain stick
Wrinkle releaser
Camera
Sharpie
Plastic lids
Extra SD card
Portable phone charger
Badge holder (room keys/fastpasses)
Small power strip
Something to hang on wheelchair (to personalize/identify)
Ponchos/raincoats
Handicap pass for car
Small screwdriver
Change for laundry and tolls
Sewing kit (.97)
Extra keys to car!!!!!!!!!
Trash bag
Lysol wipes (travel size)
Cooler (hang on wheelchair)
Car charger for cellphone

Day Bag Items or Cooler
Flip flops (for wet rides)(all)
Ziploc bags (keep items dry or organized)(Amy)
Moleskin (for existing blisters)(Amy)
Crystal lite packets (cooler)
Travel pack wipes (Amy)
Bottled water (cooler)
Jacket/sweatshirts (all)
Glow bracelets/necklaces (Amy)
Travel tissues (Amy)
Dining reservation #s (Amy)
Small first aid kit and extra Band-Aids (Amy)
Camera (amy)
Sharpie (character autographs)(Rae)
Plastic lids (eat ice cream w/ no drips!)(Amy)
Snacks (all)
Safety pins (Amy)
Pins and lanyard (Rae)
Extra SD card (Amy)
Portable phone charger (Amy)
Badge holder (room keys/fastpasses)(Amy)
Hairbands (Amy)
Tylenol/ibuprofen (in Ziploc bag) (Amy)
Extra contacts (Dean and Amy)(Amy)
Ponchos/raincoats (All)
Small hand sanitizer (Amy)
Small roll tums (Amy)
Imodium (Amy)
Hats (Dean and kids)
Sunglasses (Amy and Dean)
Autograph book (Rae)
Small hairbrush (Amy)
Wallet/money/ins. cards/debit card/emergency credit card/gift cards/gas cards
Hard cases for glasses (Rebekah, Peyton, Rae-for rollercoasters)
Tampons/pad (Amy and Rebekah)
Junior Advil (Amy)
Lorcet (Amy)
Small sunscreen (Amy)
Reservation paper (Amy)
Chapstick (All)

Faces to go with our travel companions.

Grandma

My sister,Heather, and her family. DH-Kenny,DD16-Hannah Lyn,DS11-Caleb

My friend,Ginger. DS14-Jacob and DS3-Sawyer

Amy I am so so so sorry :hug:

After getting your PM I was browsing through your old TR reliving some of the fun we had and laughing at some of our comments so I knew I had to sub to your Pre-TR but now I'm in tears thinking of the pain you've been through :hug: Obviously nothing will make things right but if any family deserves a massive dose of Disney magic then it's you guys :hug:

Amy I am so so so sorry :hug:

After getting your PM I was browsing through your old TR reliving some of the fun we had and laughing at some of our comments so I knew I had to sub to your Pre-TR but now I'm in tears thinking of the pain you've been through :hug: Obviously nothing will make things right but if any family deserves a massive dose of Disney magic then it's you guys :hug:

Thanks ,Jo.:hug: It is an indescribable pain. I pray that this trip will put smiles back in their eyes. That might sound strange but Peyton smiles but it doesn't quite reach his eyes. I can handle my pain but seeing the kids go through this...there are no words.:sad1::sad1:

I looked and the last thing I really did was a pretrip report for our last trip when Rae was still four. That trip ended badly with my mom (GM to you) having a Grand Mal seizure in Studios. We almost lost her that day but she has recovered and going back with us. :goodvibes

Amy -

Words can't describe the pain you and your family are going through. I'm so, so sorry... A good dose of Disney will certainly help your family find it's new normal, and time will heal. May Pixie Dust surround you all!

I'm looking forward to sharing in this journey.

All the best.

I'm in!!! I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through... :hug: What a tragedy. :sad2:

But there is no better place than Disney to bring the whole family some joy. If you need any help planning please let me know! I'm no expert but I can try and help!

How great you are staying at CB and not off property. It makes such a difference when staying on property! :thumbsup2

xoxo

Mrs Z

Amy -

Words can't describe the pain you and your family are going through. I'm so, so sorry... A good dose of Disney will certainly help your family find it's new normal, and time will heal. May Pixie Dust surround you all!

I'm looking forward to sharing in this journey.

All the best.

I'm in!!! I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through... :hug: What a tragedy. :sad2:

But there is no better place than Disney to bring the whole family some joy. If you need any help planning please let me know! I'm no expert but I can try and help!

How great you are staying at CB and not off property. It makes such a difference when staying on property! :thumbsup2

xoxo

Mrs Z

Thanks for reading along and your condolences. We take it one day at a time, minute by minute.

Hi. I came to check out your pre-trip after seeing you post on mine.

I can't even imagine the pain you and your family are going through right now. I am very sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

I hope this trip brings a little happiness to everyone :goodvibes

Hi. I came to check out your pre-trip after seeing you post on mine.

I can't even imagine the pain you and your family are going through right now. I am very sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

I hope this trip brings a little happiness to everyone :goodvibes

Thank you for joining in and for your condolences. I remember you from my Dis days years ago!:goodvibes

Making dining reservations was not easy. By the time some of my numbness wore off and I realized that I needed to be planning, if this trip was going to be successful, it was almost too late. Thanksgiving week is packed and my choices were limited and times weren't always what I wanted. I decided to be flexible and this is what we ended up with.

Kona Café-Dinner
Tusker House-Dinner
Boma-Dinner
Cape May Café- Breakfast
Crystal Palace-Lunch
Whispering Canyon-Thanksgiving Lunch
Ohana-Breakfast
Liberty Tree Tavern-Lunch
Akershus-Breakfast

I am going to cancel two tomorrow. Any suggestions??

:offtopic: Today is Peyton's Sixteenth Birthday!!

This is a recent picture. He hates having his picture taken and can be quite difficult.

Making dining reservations was not easy. By the time some of my numbness wore off and I realized that I needed to be planning, if this trip was going to be successful, it was almost too late. Thanksgiving week is packed and my choices were limited and times weren't always what I wanted. I decided to be flexible and this is what we ended up with.

Kona Café-Dinner
Tusker House-Dinner
Boma-Dinner
Cape May Café- Breakfast
Crystal Palace-Lunch
Ohana-Breakfast
Akershus-Breakfast

This is a recent picture. He hates having his picture taken and can be quite difficult.

Awe!!! Happy birthday to Peyton!!! :woohoo:

As for your dining reservations, I think they look good considering the popularity of that time of year. Here is what I know about the restaurants i've eaten at before.

Boma is one of our FAVORITES!!! Absolutely fantastic food! If you've never been definitely don't cancel and go give it a try! :thumbsup2
Cape May Cafe for breakfast is alot of fun. It is character dining and the characters are in fun beachy costumes. I really liked it for that. The food is like normal breakfast food but if you're going to see the characters then I say keep that one too.
Whispering Canyon is another one that DH and I really enjoy. The WL is beautiful and just being in that resort is enough to keep us going to that place. We always get the all you can eat skillet thing, which did change a bit with pricing but regardless I loved the food. If you like BBQ and you don't mind doing the hokey pokey you and the family will enjoy it! :goodvibes
We have done Ohana for breakfast too. I personally liked Cape May's better (I know DISer sacrilege :scared1:) but if you're going for the character experience and you don't mind run of the mill breakfast food then go for it.

The rest i've never been to... But I hope this helped!
xoxo
Mrs Z

Kona Café-Dinner
Tusker House-Dinner
Boma-Dinner
Cape May Café- Breakfast
Crystal Palace-Lunch
Ohana-Breakfast
Akershus-Breakfast

You did really well to get a reservation for Thanksgiving!! I tried but couldn't find one that I liked so I ended up with nothing for Thanksgiving. I wanted Liberty Tree Tavern but I think that one is super popular.

I would cancel Boma and Kona Cafe ONLY because my family isn't really adventurous. BUT if your family likes those then keep them!!

:cheer2: :banana: :dance3: HAPPY BIRTHDAY PEYTON!!!! :dance3: :banana: :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter