Need suggestions for good places to stay farther from Disneyland

OhioStateBuckeye

DIS Veteran
So I'm trying to go to Disneyland March 6-10 and there is basically no availability below $250 a night at any hotel I usually/like to stay at.

Who knows what is happening, but I need a place to stay.

I'm not opposed to AirBnb. Does anyone have any good suggestions that are within about 10 miles of the parks and doesn't cost more than $200 a night?

Have you tried Motel 6 Maingate, which is on Disney Way? I have stayed there multiple times, usually at the end of June so peak times and pay approx $120 a night, which is the cheapest I can find near the parks.

There is a Holiday Inn Express in Garden Grove that I have stayed at and is decent.

Oh! Good to hear. I chose this location for my upcoming stay in January stay due to the big conference during that week raising the prices of the closer locations... (and I used my credit card points). I think it would have run 100-120 a night if I didn't use the points.

I will say that I am not going to use ART for transport as it requires a connecting stop. I have worked in Uber/Lyft into my budget. Should be 7-10 dollar per trip for the 3 of us. and they have breakfast!

I don't have any suggestions, but I do know what's going on. It's the Natural Products Expo at the convention center. I booked back in April and availability was super limited even booking that far in advance.

Our favorite is Hotel Pepper Tree because they have nice spacious rooms and kitchens and are just a few miles away. I just checked your dates and they have availability at $200/night (which is way more than we usually pay there - must be from the expo). You can probably find cheaper on airbnb if the expo-goers haven't snatched them all up.

Agree that Garden Grove and Fullerton are good suggestions -- once you no longer have "resort area" attached to the name of a hotel, the prices drop significantly. Some of the hotels on Harbor in Garden Grove are only a mile or so south of the parks. (Check the Hampton Inn & Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, and look on Priceline and Hotwire for hotels in that area -- sometimes the Hyatt OC comes up at a great rate!) And keep checking as you get closer to your dates. As hotels have rooms in their convention blocks that didn't sell, they will release them at lower prices.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Also a good idea to check back. Maybe some hotels will open up space.

Kind of a bit sad, I thought early March would be a down time and I could get a close hotel for not a lot of money.

Nope.

wow, I checked Choice Hotels web site and even the Rodeway Inn near the convention center is going for $290.

the ones further away are in the $100-150 range.

... I thought early March would be a down time and I could get a close hotel for not a lot of money.

Nope.

I'm not sure next year is going to follow the usual pattern of "down time" with SWGE looming on the horizon. We've had quite a few people post about getting trips in before summer to make sure they avoid anything to do with the new land and all the chaos that will undoubtedly accompany the grand opening. With the discount ticket promotion, Lunar New Year, Food & Wine Festival, Spring Break, etc., it sounds like there will be lots of things on the calendar to keep the parks busy.

Thanks everyone. Also a good idea to check back. Maybe some hotels will open up space.

Kind of a bit sad, I thought early March would be a down time and I could get a close hotel for not a lot of money.

Nope.
We went last March. We got a great hotel rate 9-11 months in advance. As demand increases so do prices. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!