Need some hair advice. kinda but not really budget....

kt_mom

DIS Veteran
I've always had pretty thin, fine hair. My DH has always complained about the hairs on the bathroom floor and stuff. I know that we all lose lots of hair each day through normal brushing and washign and stuff. But I feel like lately I've been losing more than normal or at least that my hair is a lot thinner. I mean my hair is really thin and fine.

It's also not very smooth. It gets wavy and kind of poofy in the humidity. And not a cute kind of wavy either. A couple years ago I started using the flat iron to help it lay smoother. Now it's almost as if I have to use the flat iron every day because now my hair is poofy no matter what if I don't.

I'm sure that the flat iron daily on top of the hair dryer daily has got to be terrible on my hair. But it looks horrible without it. I have to keep my hair fairly short, shoulder length at the most or it's gets kind of stringy looking because it's so thin. .

I hate my hair so much and it just seems to be getting worse with age. Any advice or tips on products or anything that I can be doing to make it thicker or healthier. I don't have a fortune to spend. I usually buy my shampoo and stuff at target or somewhere. But I would be willing to spend a little more if someone had a good reccomendation.

Thanks!

mine is the same way. I know it doesn't help but I just twist it up and keep it up. Mine is fairly long though, almost to my waist, so it seems like I am always "shedding." I usually put a leave in conditioner and always wear a hat. I know that products, hair drying, and flat ironing damage my hair, so I do this sparingly but also the sun damages it. I always wear a hat too. I do have the luck of being a stay at home mom, so the hat is almost a necessity when you are outside playing with your kids.

If your hair has drastically changed, possibly see your doctor. My mother has thyroid problems (hashi moto disease) and this is one of the first signs of it, along with memory loss.

If your hair has drastically changed, possibly see your doctor. My mother has thyroid problems (hashi moto disease) and this is one of the first signs of it, along with memory loss.

I had the same problem with my hair..along with a few other *subtle* symptoms. Extra weight..always tired, dry skin, always cold...none of those things screamed a problem to me...it was my *normal*. During my physical the Dr. ordered a thyroid test...it is supposed to be like 1.5-3.0 normal...mine was 34! :eek::eek: I have been on medication for 5-6 months now and it is still at 11. I saw endocrinologist and was diagnosed with hashi moto.
Not telling you this to send you into a panic..just sounds like your hair has been going through some serious *changes*..if you have any of the other symptons it may be worth seeing your dr. for the test. :flower3:

I had the same problem with my hair..along with a few other *subtle* symptoms. Extra weight..always tired, dry skin, always cold...none of those things screamed a problem to me...it was my *normal*. During my physical the Dr. ordered a thyroid test...it is supposed to be like 1.5-3.0 normal...mine was 34! :eek::eek: I have been on medication for 5-6 months now and it is still at 11. I saw endocrinologist and was diagnosed with hashi moto.
Not telling you this to send you into a panic..just sounds like your hair has been going through some serious *changes*..if you have any of the other symptons it may be worth seeing your dr. for the test. :flower3:

yep. Hashi moto runs in our family, my mom, grandmother and one aunt have it so far. I was told to have mine checked every 5 yrs and once I hit 40, every year. So far nothing <knock on wood!>

I'm pretty sure the Dr. said my thyroid levels were normal at my physical in the fall. I had him check because I had weight gain that seemed beyond normal and a lack of energy I had been feeling. But he said all was normal. And to come back in two years for another physical. But maybe it's something I should go back and have tested again? I don't know.

My hair has always been thin and fine. It just seems to be getting worse. It's not like i'm going bald yet or anything. But the amount of loss does concern me based on the amount of hair I have to work with to begin with.

You can always, if your comfortable, get a second opinion on the thyroid levels. *shrugs*

As for what to use on your hair...no idea. :( I use Panteen, Head & Shoulders...pretty much anything that's cheap.

try taking vitamins, especially B vitamins, like Biotin to help strengthen and grow your hair.

I second seeing a your Dr again or getting a referral to a dermatologist. There are lots of reasons why people begin to loose hair- some of them can be very treatable. I would start there before spending a fortune on hair cair products that may not work...

It could also be a side effect of a medication (Rx or otc) that you may be taking. Check with your pharmacist

i have the same problem. my hair loss started after gastric bypass surgery, and even though that was over 5 years ago, my hair still falls out by the handful whenever i brush it or shower. my thyroid levels are fine, but the texture of my hair has changed too. it used to be really thick and smooth, now it is much thinner, VERY frizzy and slightly wavy. it looks awful, no matter what i do. i have an appointment for a haircut next week and i'm hoping the stylist can recommend something. i tried hair, skin & nail vitamins, but they were no help. my suggestion is to check your thyroid levels again. if they're still normal, a dermatologist or hair stylist may have a recommendation.

I don't know if this could be a reason for you, but when I was in WW, one of the things the leaders pushed was to make sure you get oils (good oils, like olive oil, etc.), otherwise your hair can get thin & brittle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter