Need reality check - anyone with hip surgery...

dimndgal1

One little spark...
I just had open hip surgery and will be 10 weeks post op for our trip to WDW. I am a little nervous but trying to stay realistic and just looking forward to being with family in the parks. I had a few questions and was hoping someone with experience might be able to guide me.

First, I am currently using a shower chair and will probably need one for the trip. Is there a way to rent such an item? Are there tubs with an edge like a garden tub at the Disney hotels? We will be atPOR and YC... not sure if that makes a difference.

Will the CMs allow canes in queue lines? I will have an ECV but being able to use a cane would allow me to wait in line and transfer a lot easier.

Can I bring a small pillow to use with my ECV? I have had trouble sitting for any real period of time and find a little padding has helped considerably.

Finally, as I have been to WDW before, I realize I will probably be avoiding many rides. DD has taken me being excluded from 'fun' hard and I am trying to find a way to participate from afar... will the CMs at the end of most rides let you near where they display ride photos? I thought maybe if I could ee her photo it would help her with why I'm not riding.

Thanks so much for any advice and insight!

First, I am currently using a shower chair and will probably need one for the trip. Is there a way to rent such an item? Are there tubs with an edge like a garden tub at the Disney hotels? We will be at POR and YC... not sure if that makes a difference.

I suggest booking one of the accessible rooms with roll-in shower, which you can walk into and sit on the provided seat. That way, you won't have to rent any equipment and the bathroom handles may come in handy.

I suggest booking one of the accessible rooms with roll-in shower, which you can walk into and sit on the provided seat. That way, you won't have to rent any equipment and the bathroom handles may come in handy.

Do you happen to know if I would call the regular reservations number for this or do I need to call the 'special number for specific room needs (the number listed in the stickt about the types of room accomidations). I just want to make sure because sometimes when I talk to the reservation center I get a feeling requests are half-hearted... no offense to them, just a vibe.

Thanks for the advice!

Will the CMs allow canes in queue lines?

I didn't have any trouble using a cane in line at Disney. I actually had a folding cane, and when I boarded a ride I just folded it up and wrapped it in velcro to hold it shut. I used a fanny pack:goodvibes and just hooked the cane on there. Some of the rides had pockets to place items and I would put the cane in there. I really felt this worked well.

Any mobility device, ECV, Power Chair, wheelchair, rollator, walker, cane, is allowed. The only time you will need to use an alternate entrance or access method is if the queue/load/unload/exit path cannot handle the device.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter