Need opinions on wedding venue cost

Katie, (and Lily as well) I did not say, or mean, to offer them basically nothing (like just the usual $350. per night)
I even mentioned adding in a nice Event Fee.
Maybe you didn't actually read? (Or maybe just stirring the pot?)

I would never ever recommend trying to get something for nothiing. Or, more than you pay for.

I just meant, since the owners seem to be very reasonable in their pricing, and flexible, etc... I would probably start at a lower offer, rather than a high one.
If you really really want to go after posters who might really want to low-ball, there are those here who have mentioned far less than I did.

And, if the OP, and the property are in Mass. Then rentals might run quite a bit more than some in FL.

Wait, you are accusing someone else of stirring the pot? That’s rich.

It may not be the news you want but honestly I wouldn't book at a place that hasn't done a wedding before. I mean there is a difference in a place that is just starting up and will be a wedding venue and a place that just up and decided they'll do a wedding because you asked. I mention that because of many things that might not be known to the owner of home. There could be permits needed to host an event, licenses needed depending on the area, liability issues, basic issues such as catering needs (and health department aspects), liquor needs (if you're having that) and so many more. Housing ordinances, etc.

It's not that the private residence is an issue though it's that this person hasn't really fully thought through having a wedding there it appears. My father-in-law's wife's ex-boss has 98 acre property and that home has held weddings before but they have a large enough home, an actual shelter that you would see at a park built along with parking at the shelter, a lot of outdoor space, a baseball field (though that has been left to be overgrown at this point), a volleyball court, a basketball court and many more things. The owner of the property built the land surrounding the home in such a way that it was designed to host events from time to time. 'Bout the only thing the house doesn't have is good cell reception due to the remoteness in the woods lol.

I would think offering the same $350/ night that he charges for 1 couple when you will have 5x as many guests sleeping over is way too low. I would factor the wedding event fee separately based on the going rate in the area, and calculate the house rental separately. For just the house rental, I wouldn't charge per room necessarily, but you have to take into account that having more people has more overhead costs for the owner. Things like toilet paper, added water consumption, more utilities being used, as well as more general clean up for 10 overnight guests vs 2. Even if you clean up after yourselves, the owner will still have 5x the linen to wash and will still presumably do his/her own cleaning after you leave.

At a minimum, I would personally expect to pay AT LEAST $500/ night + whatever an appropriate event fee is. Given the size of the house and the land, I think $750/night is less of a low ball offer. Add in an event fee and I'd say a reasonable starting offer would probably be $2500-3000 for the whole shebang.

Before I’d offer Anything, I’d find out if that place is Insured for this Event. Accidents happen.. people trip, they fall, they drink, there’s a pool. This isn’t a Wedding Venue that’s held a wedding/event there and the myriad of issues that can come up.. like the AC doesn’t work, the pool is filthy and is cold, the sprinklers go off during ur reception, the lawn isn’t cut, bees decide to visit, the toilets back up.
And if the caterer, a guest, delivery person spills, damages etc This Unknowing homeowner may have NO insurance since he’s renting his home, for profit.. like a business, you could be on the hook.

Who pays for Any of that? Will there be a contract?
While the Idea of renting a private home or estate sounds wonderful on the surface.
An experienced, insured actual venue is
Probably a much better scenario.
Sorry... Just my thoughts.
Whatever you ultimately decide....Congrats on the Upcoming nuptials!

This Unknowing homeowner may have NO insurance since he’s renting his home, for profit.. like a business, you could be on the hook.

Since he rents out the home for stays, I would expect him to be properly insured.

If not, I'd run.

I will be hiring a caterer that supplies the table linens. I will also be renting some tables and chairs for my guests. I plan to leave the house in the condition it was in when I took possession of it as far as cleanliness.

The house has 5 bedrooms and 4.5 baths. They are not providing more than the furniture than is already there. The $350 per night usually covers the use of the house.
I just want to repeat this. Many seem fixated on what the home owner is providing for the event, but the answer is "nothing". They're not providing the tables, chairs, tablecloths, cleaning, or food/drink... all of which normal wedding event locations provide and factor into their cost.

If I normally rent a VRBO house that sleeps 15, but only bring two people for $300 a night, and then one year bring 12 others, I'd still expect to pay $300/night. Or, I have the house that sleeps 15, only bring 2, but have a party (presumably allowed) that brings a dozen more, I wouldn't expect to pay more. What's the difference?

The fact that he asked you to come up with a price tells me that he isn’t really looking for a specific amount just because you want to have a wedding there.

How many does the house sleep? Is the $350 you mentioned for the entire property or does he charge by how many people are there using all five bedrooms?

I would personally offer $1500 for the three nights because I would feel comfortable paying that. If he wants more he will tell you and then you can take it from there.

I think he will probably be happy with that as opposed to not having the place rented out. And if he isn’t, he can tell you what he would like. Since he never mentioned an amount, I think he would probably accept your offer.

Good luck!

When DS and his wife did it, their rental fee was just for the house. They hired a company to bring in/set-up/take down the tables, chairs, linens, plates, glasses, silverware, etc. The florist did the flowers and the catering company did the meal. About the same amount of people as the OP is planning. It was really nice and there was a covered patio area where the tables were set up in case of bad weather (and they lucked out - it was beautiful). The DJ set up in the pool area (there was a large space there for dancing). The town did have a noise ordinance so everything had to stop at 10 pm, but they knew that and planned accordingly.

You mention guests leaving by dark. So how many guests are actually sleeping at the house? Is the $350 he normally charges a rental fee for the entire home, or just a portion?

Since he rents out the home for stays, I would expect him to be properly insured.

If not, I'd run.
There's a difference in (edited: corrected word) having insurance for a home that gets rented out for transient guests and a home that will be hosting events. You'd have to make sure the insurance company the home is covered on allows that and of they do if there is something needed to notify the insurance company.

If I was the owner I would charge $350 a night plus $50 extra per couple a night so $800 a night.

I just want to repeat this. Many seem fixated on what the home owner is providing for the event, but the answer is "nothing". They're not providing the tables, chairs, tablecloths, cleaning, or food/drink... all of which normal wedding event locations provide and factor into their cost.

If I normally rent a VRBO house that sleeps 15, but only bring two people for $300 a night, and then one year bring 12 others, I'd still expect to pay $300/night. Or, I have the house that sleeps 15, only bring 2, but have a party (presumably allowed) that brings a dozen more, I wouldn't expect to pay more. What's the difference?
There is a big difference in renting a 5 bedroom house for quests to stay in and renting a 5 bedroom house for guests to stay in, plus many other wedding guests using the property. And allowing vendors with tables and chairs to set up on the property, food service coming and going with vans, setting up lighting etc. Try pricing local wedding venues that just provide a space to see what they charge and then pay that. I think the OP doesn't want to take advantage. Is they can get this place for the weekend for 2000 for their wedding, that is a real bargain.

There's a difference in (edited: corrected word) having insurance for a home that gets rented out for transient guests and a home that will be hosting events. You'd have to make sure the insurance company the home is covered on allows that and of they do if there is something needed to notify the insurance company.

This is very true.

Event or wedding insurance is very different from your normal rental or homeowners insurance. His regular insurance could very well balk at paying a claim from a guest at a wedding for a couple of hours vs someone who pays to rent a house to sleep in.

Op, is this the only venue you have looked at? Is there a special reason you want it there? I would check out some others and price compare for what you are getting. Add in the costs of renting tables and chairs and such.

If you were to do something similar in this area, you would pay between $2000 to $3000 for the three nights and the use of the space for the wedding.

This is very true.

Event or wedding insurance is very different from your normal rental or homeowners insurance. His regular insurance could very well balk at paying a claim from a guest at a wedding for a couple of hours vs someone who pays to rent a house to sleep in.

Op, is this the only venue you have looked at? Is there a special reason you want it there? I would check out some others and price compare for what you are getting. Add in the costs of renting tables and chairs and such.

Totally agree in the insurance. Look into WedSafe. Regular homeowner insurance probably would not cover any damages or problems that might arise for the ceremony and reception.

Katie, (and Lily as well) I did not say, or mean, to offer them basically nothing (like just the usual $350. per night)
I even mentioned adding in a nice Event Fee.
Maybe you didn't actually read? (Or maybe just stirring the pot?)

I would never ever recommend trying to get something for nothiing. Or, more than you pay for.

I just meant, since the owners seem to be very reasonable in their pricing, and flexible, etc... I would probably start at a lower offer, rather than a high one.
If you really really want to go after posters who might really want to low-ball, there are those here who have mentioned far less than I did.

And, if the OP, and the property are in Mass. Then rentals might run quite a bit more than some in FL.

People can have differing ideas that have nothing to do with stirring a pot. OP posted asking for thoughts on the situation. Surely if the matter were so cut and dried that every rational person were destined to have the same thought OP would have recognized it and had no need to post in the first place.

There is a big difference in renting a 5 bedroom house for quests to stay in and renting a 5 bedroom house for guests to stay in, plus many other wedding guests using the property. And allowing vendors with tables and chairs to set up on the property, food service coming and going with vans, setting up lighting etc. Try pricing local wedding venues that just provide a space to see what they charge and then pay that. I think the OP doesn't want to take advantage. Is they can get this place for the weekend for 2000 for their wedding, that is a real bargain.
Sorry, I disagree. What about it being a "wedding" makes it special? If I rent the house and have a party with friends, BYOB, then I'm charged the $350/night. I do agree checking to make sure insurance is covered is a good idea.

Sorry, I disagree. What about it being a "wedding" makes it special? If I rent the house and have a party with friends, BYOB, then I'm charged the $350/night. I do agree checking to make sure insurance is covered is a good idea.

Nothing makes is special to you but with all due respect, you are not the insurance company. Event venues require a different insurance than a rental property. I realize you can have a party at the house you rent but in the mind of the insurance company, it’s just not the same thing.

Nothing makes is special to you but with all due respect, you are not the insurance company. Event venues require a different insurance than a rental property. I realize you can have a party at the house you rent but in the mind of the insurance company, it’s just not the same thing.
Did you not read or simply ignore where I said check on insurance coverage?

Let's say OP offers $5000/night to the home owner. Is that going to change what insurance covers/doesn't cover? No. But if the house is covered with appropriate insurance, then I would offer the $1050 AND be willing to spend whatever to return the house/pool/land to the condition it was before I arrived (provided the change is needed because of something my party or I had done).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!