need help with a trip to oklahoma city

gator75

DIS Veteran
At the end of may we will be going to oklahoma city. There will be 4 adults and 1 teen boy. Where do you recomend staying we need something with at least 2 bedrooms. we will have our own transportation . Also where are some places you recommend to eat at? And also are frontier city and a day trip to dallas worth it?

I'd really be glad to have some assistance:)

We live a couple hours from OKC, so as far as lodging, I won't be much help. There are times we have to stay overnight there, but we just find a Holiday Inn or Super 8 to crash at. Check out Bricktown. www.bricktownokc.com
Lots of shopping and dining, including Toby Keith's I Love this Bar and Grill. Cattlemen's Steakhouse is a pretty popular OKC restaurant. Also, be sure to go downtown to see the OKC bombing memorial. Very touching, and there's also a museum onsite. Frontier City is a small theme park, but worth seeing. As far as Dallas, it depends on what you are into. We aren't huge Dallas fans, but if art, culture, that kind of thing interests you, then Dallas would be worth a day trip. Hope this helps. :)

Dallas is a 3 hour drive, so I wouldn't do a day trip, I would plan to stay at least overnight. Driving to Dallas and back in one day is exhausting.

As far as OKC goes, we go there for the weekend sometimes but we usually just stay somewhere inexpensive.

You will have to have a car there no matter what, the city is ridiculously spread out. It really depends on how much driving you want to do as to where you stay. What's your budget?

There is a Residence Inn in Bricktown that is nice, they have 2 bedroom suites, it's not cheap though. You might be better off just getting 2 connecting rooms somewhere. It's right near Bass Pro. If you are open to being farther out, look in Edmond near Quail Springs area. There are a bunch of restaurants up there and it's a good area. I don't like the Crossroads Mall area personally, I think it's gotten run down so I wouldn't stay there. There is also Norman, but it's a bit of a drive to downtown and the traffic in that area is terrible.

As far as restaurants, Cattlemen's is an institution. I don't really know of many other local restaurants that are musts. Hopefully someone else can chime in there.

I haven't been to Frontier City in years so I am not sure if it's worth it or not. Definitely do the OKC Memorial, and I would also go to Norman and see the Sam Noble Natural History Museum.

There are a ton of hotels and suites on the West side of OKC right off of I-40. I don't know what you like, so entertainment recommendations are hard to give. OKC has Bricktown, Stockyard City, Frontier City, Outlet Mall, Science Museum, ans zoo to name a few.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Personally I'd stay downtown somehwhere.

Bricktown is nice. Cattlemen's Steakhouse is my family's most requested place to eat when we are in the area.

In Norman, just south of OKC, they have a Sam Noble Museum of Natural History. That is pretty cool. If going there I'd eat at Ted Escondido. I think they have some in OKC too.

The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum is in OKC as well. They have a lot of art if you are into that. The zoo is nice and has a nice dolpin show that is a must see if you go to the zoo(IMO).

The Murrah building memorial and museum is very touching.

For shopping they have a new Outlet Mall. I haven't been there yet so I can't tell you much about it.

If you want to goto Dallas you can take a train there from OKC. I've always thought that would be fun but I haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure what all is within walking distance from the train station in Dallas though. The have the 6th Floor Museum(about Kennedy) downtown. I believe The Hard Rock Cafe is in Downtown Dallas too.

Personally I'd stay downtown somehwhere.

Bricktown is nice. Cattlemen's Steakhouse is my family's most requested place to eat when we are in the area.

In Norman, just south of OKC, they have a Sam Noble Museum of Natural History. That is pretty cool. If going there I'd eat at Ted Escondido. I think they have some in OKC too.

The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum is in OKC as well. They have a lot of art if you are into that. The zoo is nice and has a nice dolpin show that is a must see if you go to the zoo(IMO).

The Murrah building memorial and museum is very touching.

For shopping they have a new Outlet Mall. I haven't been there yet so I can't tell you much about it.

If you want to goto Dallas you can take a train there from OKC. I've always thought that would be fun but I haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure what all is within walking distance from the train station in Dallas though. The have the 6th Floor Museum(about Kennedy) downtown. I believe The Hard Rock Cafe is in Downtown Dallas too.
The train actually takes you to Ft. Worth, not Dallas.

Maybe stay at the Hampton Inn in Bricktown. It is supposed to be nice. I have always had good luck with the Hampton Inn.

There is all sorts of fun things to do in Bricktown / Downtown OKC - just go exploring...

Dallas is too far away to just do a day trip. Dallas is nice too, but they are two distinctly different cities.

There are so many fun things to do in the OKC area that you don't need to go to Dallas for entertainment.

Restaurants, NBA, shopping - entertainment - it's all right here. There are lots of Museums and there is several water parks to go to. The zoo is amazing!

I always tell people to do the local dining places and not the chain joints. Sure, TK is fine but there are some really cool local joints that you won't get to see any place else... what do you like? Seafood? Steaks? Throw something out there. Bricktown / OKC has it all.

I live in the OKC metro area and agree with the previous posts about staying in Bricktown. Lots to do there. The OKC memorial is very well done and touching, the zoo is really nice, and the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History is pretty cool (It is located at OU) and of course there are always NBA games or the local hockey games (team is called the Barons).

I also agree with the some of the other posts about eating local. Cattleman's is a must, they have excellent steaks. There are surprisingly lots of very good local restaurants to choose from; to the point that we have only eaten at maybe 2chains since we moved here. There is also a new restaurant called Vast in the top of the Devon Tower (tallest building downtown) that is supposed to be really good, but pricey and may require reservations. Hope you have a great trip, we love it here!

I live in the OKC area - I would stay in the Bricktown area. The Renaissance, the Courtyard, The Residence Inn and the Hampton Inn are all fairly new & would be fine for a family trip.

Skirvin is a classic old hotel that has been beautifully redone. Not inexpensive - but very elegant.

The Colcord is another nice place right on the edge of Downtown - I've not stayed there but have friends that go there for Valentine's every year and love it.

Bricktown, the OKC Memorial, the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, Remington Park (horse racing) and Frontier City are all good stops. Norman has the OU campus, the Sam Noble Museum, the Fred Jones Museum of Art.

Stay away from Crossroads. It is a ghost town & should be demolished. All the anchor stores have closed. There is a new & very nice Outlet Mall on the west side of the city. Penn Square has nice stores but there is a lot of gang activity in the mall - be careful in the parking lot. Quail Springs is fine - but it is just a very ordinary mall. Nothing special there unless you are from a very small town & really don't usually have places to shop ;-)

If you want restaurant suggestions - let me know. I'm not a Cattleman's fan. There are much better steaks to be found in many places around town - but it is one of those "local color" type places.

Originally from OK myself (Lawton, in case someone is from there...lol)

I recommend somewhere downtown near Bricktown. Its a nice area to see and stay.

Frontier City, not too worth it to me. I find something I enjoy in even small parks, but for most people it's a very average park.

Fun places to eat:

Fuzzy's Tacos (Bricktown & Norman Campus Corner)

Pop's - east of Edmond near Lake Arcadia

Red Pin (bowling & pizza at Bricktown)

Iron Star Urban Barbeque - on 36th, just a little north of downtown

Cafe do Brazil - just north of downtown. Authentic Brazilean cuisine. Unique and fun. They have a band on the rooftop patio when the weather is nice.

Ted's - Mexican - several locations around town. Good Tex/Mex.

Nicer:

Park Grille at the Skirvin (downtown)

Mickey Mantle's - Bricktown

Nonna's - upscale - Bricktown

Red Prime - Automobile Alley, just north of downtown. The restaurant is in an old autodealership building - supposedly the first in OKC. They have booths built over the old auto service lifts. Unique decor - neon lights, etc. Food is fabulous.

Fun places to eat:

Fuzzy's Tacos (Bricktown & Norman Campus Corner)

Pop's - east of Edmond near Lake Arcadia

Red Pin (bowling & pizza at Bricktown)

Iron Star Urban Barbeque - on 36th, just a little north of downtown

Cafe do Brazil - just north of downtown. Authentic Brazilean cuisine. Unique and fun. They have a band on the rooftop patio when the weather is nice.

Ted's - Mexican - several locations around town. Good Tex/Mex.

Nicer:

Park Grille at the Skirvin (downtown)

Mickey Mantle's - Bricktown

Nonna's - upscale - Bricktown

Red Prime - Automobile Alley, just north of downtown. The restaurant is in an old autodealership building - supposedly the first in OKC. They have booths built over the old auto service lifts. Unique decor - neon lights, etc. Food is fabulous.

Yes! Pop's is fun! ::yes::

And, oh yeah, I miss me some Ted's!!! :sad:

I've always stayed at the Courtyard attached to the Ford Center, very nice. And Bricktown is alot of fun, but I was with a hockey player.

I'm from Dallas but go to school in Norman, so I definitely know about both places! Although, I don't know that much about OKC. If you wanted to drive to Norman from OKC, I could definitely recommend things to do and places to eat. There are a lot of really good, unique restaurants in Norman.

I'd definitely stay in Bricktown. Someone else mentioned NBA (Thunder) and hockey (Barons), but there's also a minor league baseball team (Redhawks). The ballpark is right in Bricktown.

I've never been to Frontier City, but I've had friends that have gone that say it's just ok, nothing special.

There's also Pop's on Route 66. It's probably about a 20-30 minute drive from downtown OKC and you'll drive right past Frontier City to get there. My friends and I like going as a treat every now and then, since it's about a 45 minute drive for us. They have good food and a HUGE selection of pop in glass bottles. http://route66.com/

The drive from OKC to Dallas will take about 3 hours without any traffic. Not sure if it's worth it to make a day trip out of it, but it can be done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!