Need Help...Car Rental.

DissyMom

Earning My Ears
I started to look at prices for car rentals for our upcoming Disney trip in Sept.:scared1:
The prices that I am getting seem a lot higher than I have paid in the past. I've tried different codes and still not much of a difference. Any suggestions? Has anyone had luck with Priceline. I'm only looking for a mid-size. TIA for any info!

Car rentals have been higher this year. We rented an SUV a week and a half ago and I was shocked at the price. But my husband did it direct with the company and I'm sure he didn't use a coupon code. He never does.

I've never used priceline for a car rental but am actually considering it if I need to rent a vehicle again this year.

I used kayak.com/carrentals the last time I rented a car. I think there is also a website called carrentals.com that I've used in the past too.

If you belong to Costco, try rates through them. Until Alamo came out w/a great code, Costco was definitely the cheapest I found. Also, give it some time for rates to come down a little. We started out w/$289 for a full size for a week in early June and ended up getting a premium through Alamo for $98 total! The transportation board is the place to hunt for coupon deals or try mousesavers.com for other discount ideas.

IKWYM! :scared: So this is what I've started doing. I go to Mousesavers.com and get codes/coupons for my two favorite companies Alamo and National. They always seem to have the best rates even though they're higher priced than they used to be. A few months out from my travel dates I first put in my info without any codes at all to get rates. I don't make a reservation; I just want the rate to be able to comparison shop. Then I put in my codes/coupons and get those rates. Then I book it at that rate with one or both companies. Then I keep checking back every few days and keep putting in the same codes/coupons. Sometimes the rate doesn't drop but sometimes it falls dramatically. It takes persistence but as soon as it drops, I cancel the prior reservation(s) and rebook at the lower rate. I sometimes cancel 5-6 times because the rate keeps dropping over time the closer I get to my actual travel. I have tried using Priceline but they will never accept my bids and want me to bid higher. I've found if I'm persistent using my codes/coupons, I can do better with Alamo/National's websites.

we used Priceline both the last and this time. We got a full size for 11/day last January!

This time I had signed up for emails, and got a email for $3 off per day, we put 11 in for the bid and ended up with a mis size for 8/day!!! YAHOOO!!!!

Good luck in finding deals!

Thanks for the help! I'm going to keep checking and try different codes. We already have it budgeted into our vacation fund but I was just surprised the prices I was seeing.

I haven't rented a car in years, but get emails from Hotwire and Booking Buddy where you put in your dates and where you are going to pick up your card, and they will notify you when the price goes down. You could try that.

Try Budget code X474200

We have used it a few time this year and saved alot. I was able to get a full sized suv for 6 days for $225.(came out to $299 with taxes and fees).

I used Priceline for the first time on our vacation a few weeks ago. I ended up with a full size thru National Car Rental for $10 a day !! I researched and tried different codes with lots of different companies but didnt come close to matching the Priceline. Use Priceline and bid low ! Good luck !

We are going 9/17-9/24. We have a full size car reserved through Dollar for a total of $202.47 for 8 days which I think is reasonable. We would love be able to use Alamo or National but they are still quite a bit higher. My hope is that once some of the coupons out there expire at the end of June we will see more discounts.

Rented an intermediate for $15 per day + fees from Priceline for this August. Priceline ONLY uses agencies that are IN the terminal, so no wasted time being shuttled off-property.

In my experience the last couple of years, the rates come WAY down in the couple of weeks prior to the rental date. My car in January dropped about 6 times in the 3 weeks prior to our trip. By the end I had a minivan for about $90 less than I originally had for a full size car for 5 days.

Our last two trips I rechecked my reservations about a week ahead of time and the prices went down tremendously.

In December I got a minivan for $100 for 4 days through Alamo. (down from $150) Our May trip I have NEVER seen prices drop so low. I couldn't get anything below $300/week. Then right before our trip the prices were ridiculously low. I got a full size for $87.73 for 8 days. And best part was, when we got there, the entire full size row was minivans and suvs. The rental price was $42 or $5.25/day...the taxes and fees were more than that haha.

I search and search until I find something I can afford and book that. Then I always start checking like crazy the week prior. I have bid very low on priceline too a few days out and gotten that as well. I would never do Hotwire/Priceline though until a few days out in case the rental companies come down. I usually have the best luck with Alamo.

If you are looking now for Sept the rates will be high. The best time to look is closer to your travel date when companies run the last minute specials. This past March I looked for a car for in May and the rates were sky high. 10 days before the trip I got a mid-size for under a $100 for a week. I kept and eye on the Transportation thread and found a good coupon code for Alamo. We have a trip this weekend and when I first looked the prices were about $200 I just rented last night and got a car for 5 days for $62 total.

SO if I were you, go to the transportation board. You should be able to fine a thread someone has started for the month you need a rental for. It is there that you may fine coupons/codes other DISer have posted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter