Need expert advice...buying Poly direct before increase

thelionqueen

DIS Veteran
Ok friends...I need some advice from the real pros on here! Somewhat time sensitive. I put myself on the waitlist for 50 points at Polynesian with my current March use year hoping to buy an add-on before the price increase. Well...surprisingly they came through today. It’s great news with bad timing. We leave for WDW on the 31st, have other obligations including uncertain tax refunds etc looming.

Long story short..I find myself in a situation I’ve been in before. The opportunity to buy points and debating whether to pull the trigger or not. EVERY time I could’ve bought before and didn’t I’ve regretted it. But omg timing is awful and the prices are much higher than when I originally bought. What would you recommend???

Stretching my budget and pulling the trigger before the price increase? Or keep what I have and chalk it up to bad timing?

50 Poly points at $176pp
March UY
50 free 2017 points
Full 18 points coming March 1st

Help!!! Thank you :) — feeling confused.

Your 2017 points aren't free, they are this years' points, which you're entitled to.
My suggestion is only buy if you can afford it.

I’d say buy now if you know you need them.

Otherwise you could look at resale when you are ready, prices here will increase too not sure how much though. You aren’t guaranteed to get last years points but there are contracts available out there.

Ok friends...I need some advice from the real pros on here! Somewhat time sensitive. I put myself on the waitlist for 50 points at Polynesian with my current March use year hoping to buy an add-on before the price increase. Well...surprisingly they came through today. It’s great news with bad timing. We leave for WDW on the 31st, have other obligations including uncertain tax refunds etc looming.

Long story short..I find myself in a situation I’ve been in before. The opportunity to buy points and debating whether to pull the trigger or not. EVERY time I could’ve bought before and didn’t I’ve regretted it. But omg timing is awful and the prices are much higher than when I originally bought. What would you recommend???

Stretching my budget and pulling the trigger before the price increase? Or keep what I have and chalk it up to bad timing?

50 Poly points at $176pp
March UY
50 free 2017 points

I faced a similar situation...with quadruple the points. It was tough, but I didn't want to look back and regret not doing it (like I've regretted so many things before).

My philosophy on life since turning 40....NO RAGRETS! :)

Do you need direct points for the benefits? If not just buy resale, unless you really need the points ASAP.

50 Poly points at $176pp
March UY
50 free 2017 points

Lucky you...I would finance and pay off asap.

Btw, did they email or call you to let you know? Just wondering, as I am on a waitlist for Aug.

Last edited:

50 Poly points at $176pp
March UY
50 free 2017 points

You said you would have to stretch your budget to buy more points. FWIW, I would advise against doing that for a luxury purchase. DVC is a tremendously appealing WANT, but it is not a need. This advice goes double if you have to finance. Don't tell yourself that you could always rent or sell. It may seem that way now, but I've been around since the 90's and have seen periods when that was NOT true.

OTOH, if you are very sure that you would be OK if you had to give the contract back and got nothing for doing so, go for it. That would mean you already have everything else taken care of & still have disposable income. No one here knows your situation or what exactly "stretching the budget" really means.

Since you already have a contract, you know that there are other ways to take those DVC vacations that don't require a long term commitment.

I am financially very conservative (worked with too many that are not to their detriment) and know that if I personally encounter a hiccup in my financial situation, the regrets will be more intense and the consequences much more serious if I had stretched my budget than if I passed up the opportunity to buy more.

Good luck whatever you decide and hope it works out well for you. :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter