Need Disney Magic cruise ship CONDITION help! Has anyone RECENTLY sailed?

jauken

Earning My Ears
Hi all!
My wife, 3 year old son and myself are considering taking a 14 day Transatlantic cruise from Galveston to Barcelona.

I have read some recent reviews from some people that have gravely concerned me about the cleanliness and condition of the ship. Reports such as Black Mold, disrepair, etc..

Has anyone RECENTLY (within 3 months) sailed on Disney Magic? Can you give us a detailed description of the conditions on the ship? (Rooms in disrepair, MOLD, etc)..

My wife nearly passed away as a young adult from Mold, so that is something i try to protect her from at all costs..

I dont want to trap her on a boat for 2 weeks surrounded by those conditions IF they exist.. I dont want to call Disney because im sure they would say all is well.. but i have heard more than 1 bad report.. so i thought i would ask if there are any former cruise line members, or guests or anyone who could give us a fair answer.

Thank you so much for your help!!
Jeff

We were on the Magic twice in the last year. In April for a 7 night and in July for a 2 night. We have never been on the newer ships so I can't compare but we thought that the ship was in excellent condition. We did see the bathroom on the main floor closed twice because of issues but other than that we didn't see anything unusual. We didn't see anything dirty. My kids were grossed out by the pool because it was so crowded and too small. There was crew cleaning it every morning though.

We sailed on the Magic in Sept (ok, not within 3 months) and are sailing again next Friday. In September we found the ship to be absolutely immaculate. There is a difference between clean and new. Remember, this is an older ship so you may see a few things that will remind you of that. They do an outstanding job of upkeep, but it is an older ship. Cleanliness is another matter. They do have total control of that and do wonderful job. I will be happy to report after our cruise next week, although I expect nothing will have changed from September. If the worst were to happen on your cruise and you found an unacceptable situation, all it would take is one call to housekeeping or guest services and the problem would be quickly rectified. The Disney Cruise Line is in the service business and is part of the parks division. They know how to take care of their guests.

We cruised on the Magic on the EBPC repo in 2008 before the drydock [only a 5-night done after the repo cruise] and never saw anything that we considered out of line or even close to moldy -- even though the ship was getting ready to go into a drydock. These are standard requirements for inspections that each ship has to take. It isn't done because there are major issues onboard. DCL replaces all the carpet and does other structural revamps during this time. There have been a couple recent threads regarding the current conditions on the Magic.

ETA: thread links with same discussion

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3058779&highlight=magic

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3058000&highlight=magic

Queen,
I would appreciate any new updates on the magic when you get back from your trip.. I dont have enough posts to put my email yet.. but its my username at yahoo dot com
I would love pics on room conditions especially!

Hi all!
My wife, 3 year old son and myself are considering taking a 14 day Transatlantic cruise from Galveston to Barcelona.

I have read some recent reviews from some people that have gravely concerned me about the cleanliness and condition of the ship. Reports such as Black Mold, disrepair, etc..

Has anyone RECENTLY (within 3 months) sailed on Disney Magic? Can you give us a detailed description of the conditions on the ship? (Rooms in disrepair, MOLD, etc)..

My wife nearly passed away as a young adult from Mold, so that is something i try to protect her from at all costs..

I dont want to trap her on a boat for 2 weeks surrounded by those conditions IF they exist.. I dont want to call Disney because im sure they would say all is well.. but i have heard more than 1 bad report.. so i thought i would ask if there are any former cruise line members, or guests or anyone who could give us a fair answer.

Thank you so much for your help!!
Jeff

I can't answer your question by I just wanted to say hello! We also live in Huntsville and will be on the TA in May.

:wave:

Kristen

. . . I have read some recent reviews from some people that have gravely concerned me about the cleanliness and condition of the ship. Reports such as Black Mold, disrepair, etc..
How recent were those reviews?

Woody

We sailed on the Magic a month ago and didn't see any of the kinds of things you're describing. Some wear and tear in some areas, which is to be expected, but nothing that made us give a second look.

From posts I've seen, there apparently are some staterooms with issues... but I can only speak for ours (8594) and it was totally fine.

We sailed on the Magic in August. I thought it was in beautiful condition. It was super clean and thoroughly maintained. We did not notice any issues.

We sailed on the Magic last May (I know you were looking for more recent cruisers, but I wanted to add to this thread).

Without hesitation I can tell you that she looked beautiful & clean. The maintenance crews work around the clock to repaint, repair, & clean where needed, so please rest assured that Disney does everything they can to keep these ships in tip-top condition.

I have reservations to sail both the Magic and Wonder next year....and can't wait :woohoo:

The older ships are (and always will be) my favorites!

Since the Magic will be having a major refurb this fall, if her present condition is a big concern, just wait til winter or do the transatlantic next year.

DH and I sailed in October of 2012, she is well maintained. Yes on some of the railings you can see rust peeking through. They are constantly doing up keep. But as far as being dirty, no. Worn, not in my opinion. But you have to remember the Magic and Wonder are the older ships of Disney. I would book the Transatlantic is a heart beat.

We were on the Magic last week (Feb 9 - 15) and didn't see any of the things you are describing. Ship is showing a little bit of wear if you look closely but certainly not unclean and moldy. I would book the transatlantic on this ship in a heartbeat!!

We sailed on the Magic in December 2012, and had zero issues with cleanliness. They are constantly cleaning and maintaining the ship. I was a little worried based on reports I had read here prior to our cruise, but we found nothing to be amiss in the cleanliness department.

We were on the Magic two weeks ago out of Galveston. I didn't notice anything unclean. The biggest sign of age I saw were some cracks in the marble flooring, near the Walt Disney Theatre and shops.

Been on the Magic three times (a fourth coming up in March). First time was 2000, second 2006, third 2012. Was she in the same shape in 2012 as in 2000? No. But she was clean and well kept. I think some things started to appear dated, but not unclean. Never unclean.

I was on the Dream in Nov and the Wonder in Dec. The Wonder (as I'm sure is true with the Magic) has some things that are just older and have been repaired rather than replaced. For example, the tile in the bathrooms on the Wonder was cracked in several places. The mattresses were not great. The carpet is older and the lighting isn't as good. I found most of the public places to be just fine. The Guest Services area on the Wonder is much smaller than the area on the Dream, but what difference does that make to me, I don't work in the smaller area?

Other things that are better on the newer ships are the number of sockets in the cabins, the hairdryers, the furniture, and the elevators. There are more conveniences on the newer ships.

There are many more nicks and scratches on the older ships. There are a million coats of paint on the stateroom doors and magnets barely hold. The doors don't close tight and there is a lot of squeaking and rattling.

I did think it was a little musty in our OV on the Wonder, and when I cruise again (75 days!) we not only have a verandah, I'm bringing air freshener and a fan. I do like fresh air in a room.

Nancy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter