Need Advise on Employer not paying wages!

celestina

Earning My Ears
I know this is a Disney board, but I use to have to save to go to Disney, now I have to save to pay every other bill. The problem is that my husband took a job with this company in March and he worked there for a couple of weeks and they did not pay him. The manager stated that they were getting the paperwork in and that he had to have the right insurance license and that they could not pay until he got the license. My husband obtained the license right a way. Well the true fact was that the manager hired two middle manager and he only got approve from home office to hire one. My husband was the second one to be hired, so he did not pay him. My husband worked there a total of 6 weeks and was never paid a dime. He just started a new job last week. Our family did not have a pay check for almost 4 months.

I am asking advice or suggestions on how to go against this company. My husband wrote to the Home office and they did not response. I feel that they owe us the 6 weeks and 6 weeks to look for a new job. We should probably get an attorney, but we would have to pay a retainer and cash is very tight as we have large back expenses to cover. Is their government agency or anything’s?

Thanks, C

celestina said:
Is their government agency or anything’s?

Thanks, C
Perhaps your state's attorney general's office could help. Sounds like a good place to start.

Did your husband fill out the new hire paperwork(W-2, I-9, etc), Also did he use a sign in sheet or timeclock to help prove that he was there. If so contact the home office human resource person as a 1st step. Proceed to explain the situation then, ask what they are going to do about it? This puts the ball in their court. Also, send a certified letter to this same person explaining what you both talked about, agreed to and the terms. Obviously if he worked he is entitled to pay.

Also please keep copies of any correspondence with the company both from you and them. Just in case this has to go to court.

If talking to human resources does not help, I would then contact the president / owner of the company and explain the sutuation. As a final step I know you said money was tight but at that piont I would hire a lawyer.

I would contact the State (or local) Deparrtment of Labor immediately. If you do not want to do that, advise the company, by certified mail, return receipt, that if wages are not received within ten days after they have received the letter you will institute legal action. Then both turn them in and sue them.

Most lawyers would be more than happy to take this on.

Try your state's department of labor (or whatever they call it-it's the place you would go to collect unemployment benefits)

If you can prove that he worked for them (timesheets, etc.), he should be compensated and the state should take care of it for you.

Also research the Fair Labor Standards Act.

I worked for a major consulting firm one time (Booz Allen), and they did not pay me for three months! They just kept screwing up the paper work. I finally did get it all though about the time I was going back to school.

Contact the labor board in your state. You'll probably start by filling a grievence. There is a certain amount of time in which you have to be paid. Goodluck!

I think I would've quit after the first couple of weeks of not getting paid. There is no way I would stick around at a job for six weeks while I wasn't getting a dime from them.

Call your department of labor and file a complaint.

Call the Department of Labor immediately. Then call a lawyer. Keep calling lawyers until you find one that will talk to you for a minute on the phone, explain the situation. If the company that is refusing to pay your husband is big enough, a lawyer will take the case on the assumption that they'll get paid when you win your case.

By the way, did your husband quit a job to take that one? I believe you've got a case for loss of wages then. He should be able to get recompensed for all the time until he finds another job I should think.

You should not need to contact an attorney just yet. Call the Department of Labor and they are required to investigate. You should get the money owed to you plus interest. I would also contact your workforce development center to file an unemployment claim for the amount of time it took from the last day until he started his new job.

I have no advice, just wanted to give you my support.

:grouphug:

I understand what you are going through financially. It is hard. I wish you the best with your pursuit.

rhiansmom said:
You should not need to contact an attorney just yet. Call the Department of Labor and they are required to investigate. You should get the money owed to you plus interest. I would also contact your workforce development center to file an unemployment claim for the amount of time it took from the last day until he started his new job.
I agree you probably won't need a lawyer to get his pay, but if you want to be paid for the time without a job (unemployment doesn't pay your full wage) you'll need one.

This board is the best. You have all given us some great idea's and gave me a little faith that good people are still out there! THANK YOU!

Cyndiu said:
I agree you probably won't need a lawyer to get his pay, but if you want to be paid for the time without a job (unemployment doesn't pay your full wage) you'll need one.

Unless she is in Montana it's an at will state so letting him go wasn't illegal.

Leting you go isn't illegal in an at-will state, Connecticut is one too so I'm familiar with the concept, but if he quit gainful employment for a job that wasn't a job, he can hire an attorney. At the end of the day, most employers will settle rather than rack up costs defending their (in this case) poor actions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter