Need advice on painting with sprayer

Cheryllynn74

Less than 2 hours away from the happiest place on
We really need to paint our house. To be budget friendly, we are going to have to do it ourselves. My cousin agreed to do it for free (he lives for free on my property) but he will only do it if he can use a paint sprayer instead of brushes/rollers.

Big Lots has a Ryobi paint sprayer on sale starting Sunday for $50. I asked my cousin about it and turns out he has never used one! My mom says the paint job does not last as long when you use a sprayer. I wouldn't mind paying the $50 if it would really work good. Does anybody have any experience with paint sprayers? Any advice?

Thanks!

I have no experience per se with a sprayer, BUT, we purchased our house last year and we painted/rolled BEFORE we even moved in.....over all the sprayed paint. We use satin latex paint (which wipes clean easily). The sprayed paint is put on VERY thin and almost has a powdery/dry feel and does not wipe easily (i.e. little kiddy fingerprints :)).

If I were spending my time & money (and energy) on painting, I would do it all by hand again. Even though it took us two full weeks to paint the house top to bottom and my entire body ached for months after :)

bumping up to see if anyone else has any tips or experience with this

several years ago we painted the exterior of our 2-story house ourselves to save money. We bought a spayer and it worked great. It took us two days, but if we had painted by hand we might still be there. I was really please at how easy it was UNTIL I had to clean up at night. It was a PAIN to clean, and if you didn't do a good job it would clog up the sprayer and ruin it. I loaned it to some good friends who didn't clean it well I guess, because it didn't work very well after that.

The last time we painted the inside of this house they sprayed it, and I didn't have any complaints at all. It's time to paint again, I certainly don't want to do it by hand!

The paint does spray out a little on the thin side, but we learned that you have to make slow, sweeping passes in order to get good coverage. Since we were changing our house color, it was easy to tell how slow you needed to pass over it to get a good coat.

It is crucial to clean it well after each use. My DH "forgot" once and it took me two days of soaking and scrubbing to get it to work right again since it sat with paint in it for nearly a week before I found it.

I swear by my paint sprayer. We have a stucco house which is a real pain to paint by hand. The sprayer gets in all of the little ripples and textured surfaces.

A little tip....
COVER EVERYTHING that you don't want painted!! Our neighbors spray painted their house and thought they were fine since the wind was not that strong, just a nice breeze.... well.... there were paint speckles on cars two houses down wind! Oops!

My DH loves the paint sprayer; however he says there is a technique and if you do not know what you are doing you will end up with two thin a coat or runs. We bought a mid grade sprayer for $400 and we wish we would have bought a better one. Although we meticulously clean it, it likes to clog. Have you thought about renting one from Home Depot? I think its like $90 a day and boy can it put on paint

I do not recommend the little project sprayers. I suggest renting a professional paint sprayer from a tool rental yard.

The professional units are designed to spray an entire house. They also will have a hose that goes right into a 5 gallon bucket.

i dont recommend a sprayer at all. we had 3 wagners on a job, and the rollers and brushes won out. the paint has to be vaporized which causes about half of it to go into the atmosphere.the finish is very thin.they clog up.
you may feel like your using more with the rollers, but at least the paint is on the house, not on the bushes behind you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter