Need advice...never been there...

what restaurants do you recommend making AR's at? I'm going to drag my Dad out there on a father/daughter trip, so we won't be interested in the character meals, but does DL have any must do restaurants?

First timer to DL...and it is only my wife and I...I like the thrill rides but she will not go on them....I think we will be spending the majority of time at DL...but really like the parades and night time entertainment....fireworks etc...

Thanks..
Tom

fan_of_wdw said:
Paradise Pier also has its own private "backdoor" entrance to California Adventure.

They no longer have that as an option- to save on staffing DL closed the PPH path and gate. Instead go thru the Grand Californian and exit at DTD or thru the GCH gate into DCA (anyone can use that gate after the first entry in the morning).

I like exiting thru the GCH gate and eating at White Water Snacks- YUM! slightly cheaper, fresh made food and nice quiet environment.

Don't forget to explore the Disneyland Hotel grounds.
I like the pathways under the waterfalls, the remote control boats and feeding the Koi (there is a sign by the Koi pool listing feeding times: the CM will assist you onto a platform, kneel down and the Koi eat right out of your hand !).
The lobby has a nice gallery of pics of celebrities that have visted DL and a fun display down the hall from Goofy's Kitchen of Disney souviniers/toys/nametags from the past .

HAVE FUN!! :sunny:

TChrist05 said:
Well...to say the least we leave in 3 weeks and we are getting excited. Yes, I do want to compare things when all is said and done, any Disney park is special to us.....so what I need now is we only have three days...so what are the "must see's and do's" at the two parks? I really look forward to being back at the hotel quickly, since I can relate to standing on line waiting for the bus at the MK in WDW....We are just like a couple of kids in a candy store waiting to go....
TChrist05 said:
First timer to DL...and it is only my wife and I...I like the thrill rides but she will not go on them....I think we will be spending the majority of time at DL...but really like the parades and night time entertainment....fireworks etc...
Great. Here is one person's must do list:

DL Rides:
1. Pirates of the Carribean
2. Haunted Mansion
3. Indiana Jones
4. Splash Mtn
5. Space Mtn
6. Big Thunder Mtn RR
7. Small World (I really do not like this ride, but everyone should do it at least once - OTOH, my wife loves it)
8. Peter Pan
9. StoryBook Land Canal (we try to do this in the evening, before it gets dark)
10. Tiki Room (do this in the afternoon when it is hot outside)
11. Mark Twain
12. Jungle Cruise

DL Shows:
1. Fantasmic - do NOT miss this show - go to the late show if possible - get there early to get a good viewing spot
2. Haven't seen the Parade of Dreams or Remember... Fireworks, but they are getting great reviews (we're going in early August and plan to see them)

DCA Rides:
1. Soarin Over California (do NOT miss this)
2. Tower of Terror
3. Animation Studio
4. Grizzly River Run (if you want to get wet)

DCA Shows:
1. Aladdin
2. Disney Electrical Parade

If you go for three days, you should be able to do all of the above and a lot more.

Tom,
I need to add my 2 cents. I would suggest that you do not get a rental car. If you are not planning on going off to explore you will never!! use it. The DLH is a short walk to both parks. The last time we were down we had our DD who is in a wheelchair and my mom who has a really hard time with long distances and it was a breeze!! She had no problem going back and forth generally twice a day! The monorail in DTD makes it a snap and there is a separate line for resort guests in Tomorrowland.
HydroGuy as an awesome list of must rides! Those that your wife won't go on you can do fastpass or single rider line and not have to leave her for too long.
Funnygarcia has a really good point about the grounds of the DLH. Make sure and take the time to walk around the hotel. They are really beautiful.
Since it's just you and your wife, I'd suggest making a reservation or 2 for a nice dinner. My DH and I love Granville's Steakhouse at the DLH and I've heard great things about Napa Rose at the GC. And don't miss a lunch at The Blue Bayou!!
Have a grea trip!!

I'm glad I did a search. This was exactly what I needed. We're going to DL and DCA early next summer after my husband completes a 1/2 marathon in San Diego. We're driving out west to show our son the west side of our country. We think this trip will take a minimum of 2 weeks, maybe a bit longer. I was thinking that 4 days would be about right for DL/DCA and this thread shows me that should be good for us.

We are also DVC members who have been to WDW multiple times, but have never been to DL. My husband may have gone once, but not me, nor our son (12). This thread has given me lots of information to start with before I start wading out there for more. Thanks, guys.

Also, Mary Ann, I'll read your trip report which should also help a bunch.

I'm a DVC memeber and thinking about going to DLR next summer, too. I couldn't find Mary Anne's trip report, could someone help? Also, is 8 days at DLR too much? Always done WDW, but never DLR. Are there day trip close enough to fill up a week? or am I better not staying in one place for my whole trip? Any help would be great! Thanks!

tss2 said:
I'm a DVC memeber and thinking about going to DLR next summer, too. I couldn't find Mary Anne's trip report, could someone help? Also, is 8 days at DLR too much? Always done WDW, but never DLR. Are there day trip close enough to fill up a week? or am I better not staying in one place for my whole trip? Any help would be great! Thanks!
We went for four days Aug 1-4 with kids 9, 10, 12, and 13. On Day 4 they said they had had enough. We did every ride at DL, the big rides 2-4 times, and many rides at DCA. We saw every show except for BPB at DCA.

Typically we do not go to many shows or parades, although we always see Fantasmic. But this time we wanted to enjoy the 50th celebration and see all the shows and parades. So our original plan for 3 days turned into 4 days, which was a good decision.

We were focused. We got to the parks early, stayed late, and took afternoon breaks enough for a swim and nap. But other than that, it was not leisurely. We were not commandos, but we were focused on maximizing our four days.

Our next extended trip to DLR will probably be in 2007, and we will go for 3 or 4 days.

For us, 8 days would be a complete overload. But if you like to go for half days, enjoy the hotel, and have lengthy dinners at DLR restaurants, 8 days might be a good decision.

tss2 said:

I think 8 days is nice if you want to use the DLR as a homebase, and do other things. There is a thread stuck at the top with ideas of other things to do, but I would recommend 4-5 day park hoppers: A full day at DL, a full day at DCA (or combination of both parks on both days since DCA is not as crowded during peak times, and it makes a good getaway from a crowded Disneyland), then the beach on a day or 2, Knotts on another, San Diego Zoo and/or Sea World, Legoland if you have little ones, or Magic Mountain if you have older daredevils, Hollywood - one or two days. Some of these won't take up the whole day and w/the two extra hopper days on your ticket you can go a couple of evenings at the Disneyland Resort to round out your days. Or you might just want a pool day, & go in the afternoon/evening to DLR.

We just did six full days (seven nights) and could have easily stayed an extra day or two. We usually do 10 for WDW and could easily do two weeks there. We never go anywhere but Disney in either DL or WDW, but thats just weird us! One of these days I guess we will venture out somewhere else while at Disneyland (DH used to work in San Diego and I have been there too but we have never taken the kids). For now we are content to just stay put. We always do full days at the parks and frequently eat dinner at DTD with maybe a quick pool break midday if crowds and heat are issues. This trip we only spent one afternoon at the pool the rest was spent in the parks. We love parades and shows and those take up a chunk of time. If there are fireworks we will see them every night we are there regardless of how many nights that is. It was nice last Wednesday evening to get out of my fil's car and know that the only car I would ride in for the next six days would be on Autopia!

Here is my Trip Report. trip report

It was on the Disneyland trip reports on page two. You had to go back and look at at least 75 days ago.

Anyway, I hope it helps someone.

Amy&Dan said:
We just did six full days (seven nights) and could have easily stayed an extra day or two.
Welcome back to Colorado! Sounds like you had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter