Need advice-I'm going to DISNEYLAND!!!

MamaBearTo3Boys

Earning My Ears
I've been to WDW quite a lot and know my way around, but I've only been to Disneyland (where all the magic started) once almost 30 years ago. I have one day to do both parks with hubby and adult son. Advice please-top things to eat and do?

Assuming you're hardcore Disney --- you have 10-16hours to do things depending on the day you're seeking. With adults - easier.

1. Maxpass. Be ready to troll for passes on MDE with all three of you on it to grab cancellations and releases throughout the day.
2. Make a list of the rides you DON'T get at WDW and if which ones are Must (ALL!) or Nice to (none!--but really do you need Jessie Critter or Inside Out Whirlwind?)
3. Park hopping is EASY.

Remember, the entirety of DLR is smaller than MK alone. You'll probably be most alarmed by the density of people in the common spaces compared to the wide open spaces of WDW. The only time where WDW felt busy for us was the corridor between PeterPan and Small World -- while that's almost normal for most of DLR.

If your day is Magic Morning in CA, do radiator springs and get it out of the way. Mania and Sorin' are duplicates unless Soring California is running - which would make it a Must if so (IMHO). Then aim for an evening fastpass for Radiator springs as the morning progresses and grab those -- very different experience for RS at night and a bit unique. Time that with World of Color showing.

That said, we also really enjoyed the duplicate rides as some of them have variations and we really enjoyed the differences -- for better or worse -- like POC, Big Thunder, PP, small world. -- just depends on what are your priorities for 1 day only

Edit: last thing -- if you really love your Space Mt, -- don't ride DLR -- you'll never want to go back to WDW-MK! ;)

If your day is Magic Morning in CA, do radiator springs and get it out of the way. Mania and Sorin' are duplicates unless Soring California is running - which would make it a Must if so (IMHO).

DCA doesn't have MM. Just EMH for on site guests. MM is only for DL and matches up with EMH days at DL. And with only one day unless OP is staying on site and getting EMH benefit, they won't have MM (only on tickets 3 days or longer bought in advance).

If you are used to being at WDW you will find that walking around DL is like deja vu. Familiar but just different, but in a good way. I'm sure it's the same for those that normally go to DL when they first visit WDW.

Some good threads for you:
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- from the sticky threads at the top of the first page -- tons of great information here!
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread and a must read!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- so many helpful threads here!
Maxpass/Fastpass Superthread: an overview and some strategy -- so much good help here! And use SR for the rides that have it -- that can save time and get you repeat rides on favorites.
Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-3* -- read the first few posts and keep up with this thread, especially in the week or two right before your trip in case there are any changes
New SWGE Superthread! Now Open to All! (6/24/2019) -- ask any SWGE questions here!
Favorite counter service -- most WDW vets agree that DLR has better CS than WDW -- you should have no trouble finding lots of things to eat! Look over the menus on the app or online to find out what looks good and where to find it.
Don't miss Cars Land in DCA -- this land is an absolute gem! Great theming -- if you can see the neon lighting of Rte. 66 at sunset, do it! (Lighting of CarsLand?) And try to ride RSR at night!
Download the free DLR app now (make sure you get the latest version and check for updates before your trip) and start playing with it to get used to how it works on your phone. If you have a credit card on file, you'll be able to buy MP as soon as you activate your ticket at the gate and use Mobile Ordering at CS locations. You can also "play along at home" with trying to get a BG for ROTR so you'll be prepped on your visit day!

I haven't been to DLR for about 12 years myself. But I'm going to make a suggestion anyway. With only one day and two parks - you're going to have to skip some things. Unless you are a total Star Wars nut AND aren't going to WDW anytime soon (as in the next 2-3 years), I'd just skip SW:GE and focus on the rest of DL and CA. If you go to WDW frequently (and it sounds like you do) you can see SW:GE on your next WDW trip. I suspect what you're looking for is the classic, nostalgic "this is the park Walt built" experience for DL anyway - plus seeing some of the unique attractions in CA that aren't in WDW, and SW:GE would just suck up way to much time from those objectives. But of course, this is only my opinion.

Don't skip a ride just because it's also at WDW, some rides at DL are different enough from their "clones" at WDW to be worth a ride. POTC and Space Mountain in particular apply here.

I agree with montreid, have everyone in your party make a short list of "Must Do's" and "Would Realy Like To Do's" and build a touring plan around that. Everyone should be able to do their top #1 "Must Do" at minimum. That's not to say you do all your top Must Do's very first thing all in a row, you still want to build some strategy around your touring plan - if waiting to ride a Must do until early afternoon makes logistical sense, that's fine.

Absolutely spend the money for MaxPass.

Don't forget to stop and smell the roses. This IS the park that Walt built - stop, look, listen, take it all in! If you're too focused on running from one ride to the next that you don't appreciate the little things about DL, you're missing the whole point. Forest for the trees and all that.

I don't know if I'd "waste" time on sit-down dining for a one day/two park trip. But, if I could only do one sit down meal, I'd make it Blue Bayou. More for the atmosphere than for the food, although the food is good too. But I'd probably just get a tasty hand-held meal and find a good spot to soak up the surroundings - like I said - stopping to smell the roses (while increasing my cholesterol level).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter