Need advice from cheer moms :)

wdwmom0f3

Disney Bound!
My DD will be trying out this year to be a cheerleader and we are needing advice for her hair. I know she will wear it up in a pony tail but should she wear her natural curl, or should she straighten it? We are thinking straight. Also, do they wear makeup? I would love to see pictures of your girls at cheer tryouts so I know what to do. Any advice would be very helpful. This is for middle school. :)

My DD will be trying out this year to be a cheerleader and we are needing advice for her hair. I know she will wear it up in a pony tail but should she wear her natural curl, or should she straighten it? We are thinking straight. Also, do they wear makeup? I would love to see pictures of your girls at cheer tryouts so I know what to do. Any advice would be very helpful. This is for middle school. :)

My dd is younger (7) but she tried out for a super competitive all star gym last year. All of the girls (up to high school) wore their hair in a high ponytail (curly or straight) with a large cheer bow. No makeup was worn by any girls all ages, they only wear makeup for competitions.

Thank you! :) The reason I asked about the makeup was because yesterday at gym the coach said something about it. Maybe he ment for competitions. We are still a few weeks out from tryouts, but I was just wondering what the norm for this was. :) I am just over excited I guess.:rotfl2:

I would think light makeup rather than full competition makeup for tryouts. If there is any doubt I would just ask the coach directly what is expected for tryouts. We were always required to wear soffees of a specific color and a tryout camp issue white tee for tryouts, have our hair pulled back in a pony, no jewlery except stud earrings, and we had the option of light makeup or none.

My dd9 is on a squad and they are not allowed to wear make up. You might want to ask if there is a rule about it.
For comptetion, they are wearing their hair in a high pony tail and I think it is up to them if they want to curl it. I think my dd is wearing it straight b/c that is probably what the other girls will do. I heard that last year they had to purchase cheer hair that was curly. It hurt a lot of the girls' heads so they are not using it this year.

I coach cheerleading at a High School I ask my girls to be in soffee(black) plain white t-shirt tucked in shoes,socks, hair up out of face( there is actually a place on score sheet for this) straight or curlly doesnt matter. Makeup i say bare minimum. As natural as you can look with it on. No lipstick. no nail polish(EVER) we do have heavier make-up at comps but that's it. My girls barely even wear at all. I had to make them put more on for the comps so they would stand out alittle.
We are there to look at there skills not how pretty they are. But I don not want to be destracted during a tryout with bangs or any kind of hair in there face. Last year at tryouts I deducted lots of points for this. If they can't follow rules for tryouts.. they wont follow them anytime. If they look messy at tryouts thats:cheer2: what you will see at games and comps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!