Need a kind soul to give me some much needed info... WDW site seems to be down.

moopdog

Dreaming of Disney....
I realize this should be on some form of the DVC threads, but I am in a bit of a rush and will hopefully get a quick answer here....

We just spent last night in a hotel and I had a big dose of reality hit me. We CANNOT survive in a standard room for 9 nights in Disney, which is what we are currently booked for. I am bummed because we have a standard/pool view room booked for AKL which is supposed to be big splurge for us and we have been so excited about it. But for 9 nights, I just don't think we can do it without killing eachother. My kids are very tall and my husband is a big guy AND a snorer. In years past, we have either rented points or stayed offsite in a one or two bedroom villa.

Can someone ballpark what it might cost for us to either rent DVC and buy the regular dining plan for a 1 bedroom at AKL (or any deluxe I suppose) or to actually book through WDW with my free dining pin.

I am having trouble with the website...so I'm hoping someone will have a general idea off the top of their head.

We are there from 1/31 to Feb 9th, and my kids are 10 & 12.

And I am wondering if I could get a suite at AofA instead and not feel like we are "downgrading" from AKL. Since we've never been there...I guess we won't know what we'll be missing. :sad2:

I realize this should be on some form of the DVC threads, but I am in a bit of a rush and will hopefully get a quick answer here....

We just spent last night in a hotel and I had a big dose of reality hit me. We CANNOT survive in a standard room for 9 nights in Disney, which is what we are currently booked for. I am bummed because we have a standard/pool view room booked for AKL which is supposed to be big splurge for us and we have been so excited about it. But for 9 nights, I just don't think we can do it without killing eachother. My kids are very tall and my husband is a big guy AND a snorer. In years past, we have either rented points or stayed offsite in a one or two bedroom villa.

Can someone ballpark what it might cost for us to either rent DVC and buy the regular dining plan for a 1 bedroom at AKL (or any deluxe I suppose) or to actually book through WDW with my free dining pin.

I am having trouble with the website...so I'm hoping someone will have a general idea off the top of their head.

We are there from 1/31 to Feb 9th, and my kids are 10 & 12.

And I am wondering if I could get a suite at AofA instead and not feel like we are "downgrading" from AKL. Since we've never been there...I guess we won't know what we'll be missing. :sad2:

Just looked up availability and there is some for those dates. It would take 307 points, so multiply that by the rental rate ($13 if you go through an agency). The DDP is $55.59 per person for each night, which is $1778.88 for your trip.

If you're going to rent points, I would do so fast. The closer you get, the less likely there will be availability.

And yes, there are big differences between AKV and AoA.

I can't help you with specifics - but I can offer a few thoughts...

1. I am pretty sure your choices will be slim to none at renting points of AKL on such short notice. :sad2:
2. We have stayed at AKL twice and visited AOA on it's opening day. You just cannot compare the 2. COMPLETELY different atmospheres and vacations.
3. If space and quiet is something that you need - perhaps the Cabins at FW might be an option for you. I hav never stayed there (just not my thing) - but I know many who love it.

Good luck! :goodvibes

eta - I stand corrected! Good news on availablitly!

Just looked up availability and there is some for those dates. It would take 307 points, so multiply that by the rental rate ($13 if you go through an agency). The DDP is $55.59 per person for each night, which is $1778.88 for your trip.

If you're going to rent points, I would do so fast. The closer you get, the less likely there will be availability.

And yes, there are big differences between AKV and AoA.

So...that's for renting points. Do you happen to know what it would cost to book a 1 bedroom directly through Disney? Or am I asking a stupid question? If I can do that and use my free dining Pin, I may save money over renting and buying DDP. Though chances are - we can't afford either. This trip has costed enough already! Sheesh!! Thanks, by the way. I still can't get the site to work. GRRR

never mind - read it wrong.

The only way to know what the cost is for a Villa (and to even see if it has availability with your PIN) is to call Disney.

I was able to get a quote...Assuming you CAN use your Free Dining PIN (which would require you to pack rack rate)...
A one bedroom Villa with a Standard View for your dates is $5,255.

So I guess waiting until the last minute to rent points...does NOT give me a chance for getting them cheaper, huh?! I know some of you are probably having a good laugh at that thought, right? :rotfl:

Oh well....I guess I was being naive and hopeful. But more naive than hopeful. :sad:

Through the Disney website I'm getting $519 a night for a 1 br standard view for those dates. A savannah view would be $594. Those are pre tax. I don't know if you could get free dining.

If you are going to do a 1 bedroom, get it at AKV Kidani, not Jambo. It is larger and has 2 bathrooms. You'll have a king bed in the master, a queen sofabed and twin sleeper chair in the living room.

So I guess waiting until the last minute to rent points...does NOT give me a chance for getting them cheaper, huh?! I know some of you are probably having a good laugh at that thought, right? :rotfl:

Oh well....I guess I was being naive and hopeful. But more naive than hopeful. :sad:

Not laughing at you at all! :flower3:
In some instances you can get a good deal for last minute rentals - but unfortunately AKL is typically not one of the places. Like Bay Lake Towers and the Beach Club Villas, they book quickly.

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate they help. Still can't get the website to work for me...not sure why.

So, basically it will cost us about $1200 more to go from a standard set up room to a 1 bedroom (which sounds like HEAVEN by the way). I just asked my husband his thoughts on that & he was like ummm, are you nuts?! LOL. Nope we defintely cannot afford to spend that much more than we already are. Poop!! I am honestly afraid for our sanity for this upcoming trip. LOL

Well let me offer this advice...

We stayed in a Pool View room this past May/June.
We are a family of 4 - Myself, 2 kiddos 9 & 10 and a husband who snores like Pumba.
We stayed for 8 nights and absolutely LOVED it.
There is so much to see and do at the resort - we spent a ton of time at the pool - lots of poolside things going on for the kids - My husband and I actually spent quite a few hours RELAXING by the pool while they were entertained. The pool is a fabulous oasis - plenty of room to swim and they enjoyed the pool slide.There are also a lot of activities around the resort for them to do as well.
The grounds are amazing - we spent several hours over the course of our stay watching the animals from the different viewing locations. They also have night time animal viewing by the pool and a nightly outdoor movie.

We found the room to have plenty of space for us - Now granted we didn't spend a ton of time IN the room - but when we were there - we were very comfy. OUr last trip we stayed 9 nights at POP - now THAT is a small room..by the end of our stay we were DONE with each other. We didn't feel that way at all at AKL - We were all very very sad to leave.

As far as the snoring - after walking around the Parks all day - I hit the bed and I didn't hear a thing - but I did pack some ear plugs (sold at Target) just in case.

I think you and your family will have a fabulous time. :goodvibes

Well let me offer this advice...

We stayed in a Pool View room this past May/June.
We are a family of 4 - Myself, 2 kiddos 9 & 10 and a husband who snores like Pumba.
We stayed for 8 nights and absolutely LOVED it.
There is so much to see and do at the resort - we spent a ton of time at the pool - lots of poolside things going on for the kids - My husband and I actually spent quite a few hours RELAXING by the pool while they were entertained. The pool is a fabulous oasis - plenty of room to swim and they enjoyed the pool slide.There are also a lot of activities around the resort for them to do as well.
The grounds are amazing - we spent several hours over the course of our stay watching the animals from the different viewing locations. They also have night time animal viewing by the pool and a nightly outdoor movie.

We found the room to have plenty of space for us - Now granted we didn't spend a ton of time IN the room - but when we were there - we were very comfy. OUr last trip we stayed 9 nights at POP - now THAT is a small room..by the end of our stay we were DONE with each other. We didn't feel that way at all at AKL - We were all very very sad to leave.

As far as the snoring - after walking around the Parks all day - I hit the bed and I didn't hear a thing - but I did pack some ear plugs (sold at Target) just in case.

I think you and your family will have a fabulous time. :goodvibes

YOU. JUST. MADE. MY. NIGHT. Seriously....I think I needed to be calmed down and it worked. Thank you!!

I hear your concerns. My DH also snores and my DS5 wakes up around 5:30 am. So between the two of them, I can't sleep in a standard room either and there are only 3 of us! Ear plugs are FABULOUS! Another option could be a junior suite at CSR or two rooms at any mod. It will probably only cost you a little more than a standard room at AKL, but would give you a lot more room.

By the way how much are those earplugs at target? MY wife says i snore like a freight train..and my 12 yr old gets annoyed when i snore on the couch so im thinking ..those may come in handy for those 2 ..when we go to AKV in march ..we have a studio booked also.

What kind of earplugs are you guys getting? I have been looking and none say "anti-snore!" :-)

I need something that will truly keep us from hearing a freight train coming through our room!

It's true that you can sometimes get good deals on last-minute rentals.....in terms of the cost. The problem is, the availability isn't there. Most DVC owners make their reservations between 7-11 months out, so by a couple of months out, your choices are very limited.

That said, you may still find availability at the largest resorts - SSR and OKW, and maybe even AKV, at this point. I'd say it's worth a try. Check out our DVC Rent/Trade board, check out David's Vacation Club Rentals

Did you look under special offers tab on disneyworld.com? There is a 35% discount that is available for akv for your dates. It's book by 12/31. That's how we got a 1 bedroom for Jan 19-27th. We were going to go into a studio and decided to upgrade to the villa.

You can do the discount and add dining and tickets and have the discount applied to the room only. Either way, you are going to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter