Navigating DLR, Pixar Pier Opening, and AP Blockouts June 18-30

Thanks Hydroguy! Do you think by mid July your advice would differ? I'm planning F/Sa/Su July 20-22, and trying to decide if we should do DCA/DL/DCA to get the MM, or just do DL-DCA (hopper)/DCA/DL to ensure lower crowds and forego the MM but pay for hopper.
Once the AP blockouts kick in for the summer (June 29) this is not an issue. I suspect crowds will be normal summer crowds with some extra focus on PxP.

If I understand what you are asking - better to go for MM or ParkHoppers (PH) - to me that is no-brainer - PH all the way. But that makes no sense. I thought PH comes with the 3 day hoppers?

:wizard:

I was either going to buy (a) one park per day and do DCA on F/Su and DL on Sa with MM, or (b) park hoppers with starting at DL and ending at DCA Fri, then DCA on Sa and DL on Su and maybe using the hopper those days as well (we're usually not big hoppers because we use FP (now MP) heavily and start at rope drop (and poop out before dark usually after about 8-9 hrs of touring).

I was either going to buy (a) one park per day and do DCA on F/Su and DL on Sa with MM, or (b) park hoppers with starting at DL and ending at DCA Fri, then DCA on Sa and DL on Su and maybe using the hopper those days as well (we're usually not big hoppers because we use FP (now MP) heavily and start at rope drop (and poop out before dark usually after about 8-9 hrs of touring).
You are not talking June 22-24, right? If it is not opening weekend then it is your call.

If it was after June 29, and I was visiting Fri/Sat/Sun, expect Sunday to be the most crowded of the three in the summer as Saturdays have DAP's blocked. If I was trying to save cash and not PH, I would do DCA Fri, and DL (with MM) Sat and Sun.

As soon as you enter the park turnstiles, you can buy Maxpass (if it wasn’t included in your tickets) and then book your first FP. The FP return time will be after the park opens.

I’d do Disneyland on Sunday because there’s no EMH there, personally. You also will have a lot of APs who were blocked on Saturday hitting up DCA to check out the Pier on Sunday. They’ll be there all week, but there are enough that will only be able to make a weekend visit that I think Sunday will be especially impacted.

I’d also use Maxpass to do FP for both RSR and Incredicoaster, so I wouldn’t worry about where you head first.

Any chance of using parkhoppers?

Last year I did AK on the opening day of Pandora. Was it insanely crowded? Of course! But we had a great time!

Know what? On the second day Pandora was open WE WENT BACK! Crowds and Disney does not automatically mean misery. It depends on the person and the attitude.

With that in mind, you will be at DLR and you will have a great time. So take a deep breath and relax.

If you want to stack the deck more in your favor, switch Sunday June 24 at DCA to DL. Then go to DCA on Monday. It will be crowded but not as bad as Sunday. With MP and RD you will be fine. ::yes:: Not optimal from a crowd point of view but still can be a lot of fun. Plow through and don't make your family feel like it will be bad. Tell them they are privileged to be there early after PxP opens and will have to deal with crowds more than you expected. Make it fun!

Thanks for the advice! I'll try to calm down and remember we are at DLR to have fun and spend time with family. I remember this while in the park but always freak out prior to going during planning, lol. I'll switch our days around, work MP and do our best!

As soon as you enter the park turnstiles, you can buy Maxpass (if it wasn’t included in your tickets) and then book your first FP. The FP return time will be after the park opens.

Any chance of using parkhoppers?

Can you book FP during EMH or MM? I believe I read you couldn't use them but are they available to snag?

No, we didn't get parkhoppers but may consider adding them, call it a WDW vet mistake as we know how far apart the WDW parks are so we don't usually park hop. We didn't think we'd parkhop at DL either since that isn't what we usually do; however, since the parks are so close together and we aren't used to that, we may reconsider.

Thanks again!

Can you book FP during EMH or MM? I believe I read you couldn't use them but are they available to snag?

No, we didn't get parkhoppers but may consider adding them, call it a WDW vet mistake as we know how far apart the WDW parks are so we don't usually park hop. We didn't think we'd parkhop at DL either since that isn't what we usually do; however, since the parks are so close together and we aren't used to that, we may reconsider.

Thanks again!
You can use MP to get FPs as soon as you are scanned into a park - at regular entry or during MM/EMH. If you have parkhoppers, you can get FPs at either park using MP - but the two parks share the same windows so you if you are in DL and cannot yet get a FP for DL, you can't for DCA either.

The FPs you get with MP will not be good until MM/EMH is over and regular hours start. I do not believe you can get regular paper FPs during MM/EMH. There have been conflicting reports about this.

Last edited:

Staying on site June 24. What would you expect crowds to be for the extra magic hour?
Probably a bit more than a normal Sunday. But there are only so many hotel guests so there is a limit t how many people can show up. Will draw folks away from other parts of DCA to PxP so maybe use MP for the rides there and take advantage of EMH at RSR and GOTG?

All:
Hi Hydroguy,
Your info is super helpful for me! We will be there June 19-23rd. We have hoppers and we’ll be getting Max Pass.
Which parks would you suggest for each of our days? We’re not staying onsite, but our hotel is walkable (Marriott Coutyard Themepark Entrance). Thanks!

I will be visiting DLR June 19-23 which I handpicked last August as the dates when SCAP (So Cal AP) blockouts are in place. That was way before Pixar Pier (PxP) dates had been set which are set as June 23 opening.

I am starting to see lots of questions pop up, some from folks who are not DLR regulars and do not understand these dynamics. This thread is intended for all the folks visiting DLR during this time!

SCAP Blockouts - see calendar below from https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/, SCAPs are blocked out June 20-23. Then again, for the summer starting June 29. With PxP opening June 23, they will be visiting DCA in droves June 24-29. I would expect Sunday June 24 and Thursday June 29 (the final day before blockout) to be the worst for crowds during this time. For more info see "Understanding AP Blockouts and Impact on Crowds" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2365983

Last summer a young lady who works for me visited DLR the same week as June 18 this year. She visited DLR on Tuesday (the equivalent of June 19 this year) and Friday (the equivalent of June 22). At the time GOTC was new and all the rage. She was not aware of this SCAP issue (she should have asked me LOL) but told me upon return that Tuesday was insanely crowded but Friday surprised her at the lighter crowds.

Pixar Pier - It opens Saturday, June 23. That will draw crowds.

Planning - It will be best to avoid DCA as much as possible June 24-28. Save your visits to DCA if possible for June 20-23 and June 29-30. Worst days I predict will be June 24 and 29.

Get your DCA days in on the SCAP blockout days and then only lightly venture into DCA on the unblocked days - if possible.

Two other posters here are going June 20-25 and June 21-25. Get your DCA in completely on June 20-22. Carefully visit DCA on June 23 - it will be busy but not as bad as June 24. Avoid DCA on June 24 and the rest of that week if possible. And buy parkhoppers even if you were not planning for that. If you don't there will come a point when you are in a very crowded spot and you will think back to this thread with regret. ::yes::

View attachment 322042
All:

I will be visiting DLR June 19-23 which I handpicked last August as the dates when SCAP (So Cal AP) blockouts are in place. That was way before Pixar Pier (PxP) dates had been set which are set as June 23 opening.

I am starting to see lots of questions pop up, some from folks who are not DLR regulars and do not understand these dynamics. This thread is intended for all the folks visiting DLR during this time!

SCAP Blockouts - see calendar below from https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/, SCAPs are blocked out June 20-23. Then again, for the summer starting June 29. With PxP opening June 23, they will be visiting DCA in droves June 24-29. I would expect Sunday June 24 and Thursday June 29 (the final day before blockout) to be the worst for crowds during this time. For more info see "Understanding AP Blockouts and Impact on Crowds" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2365983

Last summer a young lady who works for me visited DLR the same week as June 18 this year. She visited DLR on Tuesday (the equivalent of June 19 this year) and Friday (the equivalent of June 22). At the time GOTC was new and all the rage. She was not aware of this SCAP issue (she should have asked me LOL) but told me upon return that Tuesday was insanely crowded but Friday surprised her at the lighter crowds.

Pixar Pier - It opens Saturday, June 23. That will draw crowds.

Planning - It will be best to avoid DCA as much as possible June 24-28. Save your visits to DCA if possible for June 20-23 and June 29-30. Worst days I predict will be June 24 and 29.

Get your DCA days in on the SCAP blockout days and then only lightly venture into DCA on the unblocked days - if possible.

Two other posters here are going June 20-25 and June 21-25. Get your DCA in completely on June 20-22. Carefully visit DCA on June 23 - it will be busy but not as bad as June 24. Avoid DCA on June 24 and the rest of that week if possible. And buy parkhoppers even if you were not planning for that. If you don't there will come a point when you are in a very crowded spot and you will think back to this thread with regret. ::yes::

View attachment 322042

I posted about these same dates on another thread, and a poster linked this thread to me. So thankful to read this! I feel a lot better :)

I've been unsure which day we should use our MM on. Can I get some advice on that?

Our park days are June 20-23. We have 4-day PH'ers. That means we can get in early to DL on Thurs or Sat, right? Which day would be best?

We are planning to buy MP for one day but as a family of 6, I'm pretty sure it will only be one day.

Thanks!

... I've been unsure which day we should use our MM on. Can I get some advice on that?

Our park days are June 20-23. We have 4-day PH'ers. That means we can get in early to DL on Thurs or Sat, right? Which day would be best?..

I would use your MM on the Thursday. MM that day starts at 7 am, and the general rule is that the earlier MM starts, the better. Fewer people want to get up that early to be in the parks, so it won't be as crowded as it will be on the Saturday (later MM, starts at 8 am). Also, the Thurs. MM is earlier in your trip, so your family will be fresher and more energetic. Second general rule is that MM is better whenever your family is feeling better. Doesn't matter how low the crowds are if your family is grouchy and dragging!

I would use your MM on the Thursday. MM that day starts at 7 am, and the general rule is that the earlier MM starts, the better. Fewer people want to get up that early to be in the parks, so it won't be as crowded as it will be on the Saturday (later MM, starts at 8 am). Also, the Thurs. MM is earlier in your trip, so your family will be fresher and more energetic. Second general rule is that MM is better whenever your family is feeling better. Doesn't matter how low the crowds are if your family is grouchy and dragging!
I would also do Maxpass that day since you'll be able to maximize your use of it by booking your first FP during MM. Not sure of your touring style or hotel, but if you're starting at 7, that may also be a day that you choose to take an afternoon break, and if you have Maxpass you can keep booking FPs from your hotel during that break.

Good thoughts, thank you! What about our MP? Would it be best to use it on the 23rd to help with the DCA crowds?

I would also do Maxpass that day since you'll be able to maximize your use of it by booking your first FP during MM. Not sure of your touring style or hotel, but if you're starting at 7, that may also be a day that you choose to take an afternoon break, and if you have Maxpass you can keep booking FPs from your hotel during that break.

Posted this question at the same time as you were answering. Ok, so not on Saturday to combat the DCA people?

We are currently booked at Hyatt House but I may try to move us closer. We typically do commando touring...even 8 or 9 days into a 10-day trip to WDW...but I'm not sure we have ever had a 7am opening there. Usually it is 8am for us there, and the parks are not open as late. SO, we may need that afternoon break, and if we are close enough to get there easily, we may gladly take it.

Good thoughts, thank you! What about our MP? Would it be best to use it on the 23rd to help with the DCA crowds?

If you are sure that you'll only be getting MP for one day, then that might be a good strategy. Otherwise, since you'll have 4 days total, you might want to try 2 days with MP and 2 days with paper FP. Then you'll also be able to follow Skyegirl's suggestion of using MP on your MM day so that you can start using it as soon as you go through the gates at 7 am.

Posted this question at the same time as you were answering. Ok, so not on Saturday to combat the DCA people?

We are currently booked at Hyatt House but I may try to move us closer. We typically do commando touring...even 8 or 9 days into a 10-day trip to WDW...but I'm not sure we have ever had a 7am opening there. Usually it is 8am for us there, and the parks are not open as late. SO, we may need that afternoon break, and if we are close enough to get there easily, we may gladly take it.
The thing is that three days are already enough to hit all of the headliners multiple times if you want to, particularly if you're "commando style" types and particularly if you have Maxpass on a day that you're in the parks starting at 7am and staying until late at night. So, if I was planning this trip, I'd put the bulk of the ride focus on those first three days and then use day 4 (the 23rd) to focus on Pixar Pier and then do more low-key stuff (maybe see a show or two, draw in the Animation Academy, stuff like that). If one person still has the energy to be a FP runner, great, but the whole family doesn't need as much energy by then. So for me, I'd use Maxpass early. I also find that you get the most out of Maxpass when you're willing to rush around and use stuff immediately at Disneyland first thing in the morning, which would push me to Thursday rather than Saturday (when I assume you'll want to start at DCA to see the Pier). Also, maybe you'll use Maxpass on Thursday and love it so much that you'll decide it's worth $60 to use it on Saturday, too. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter