National Car Rental at Port

Diz Kid

Earning My Ears
Has anyone used National Car rental at the port to pick up cars? How was it? How did you get from port to rental center? Thanks

Paul

Wonder 3/2/03 - only 57 more days!!!

I just posted the same information on another thread - but you may not see it, so here it is.

We rented from National this past December. They pay cab fare for you to get from the boat to their office. When we disembarked, we told our baggage handler we were renting from National. He took us to a tented area in the pariking lot, near where the Avis van was loading. He asked the CM to call for a yellow cab for us.

The cab arrived in a few minutes and took us to the National office, about 10 minutes away. The office was not crowded, and within 5 or 10 minutes we had our car. We only had to tell the National person that we took a cab, and he subtracted the $11 from our rental charge.

We have relatives who rented from Avis because it was closer and had free shuttle, but the free cab is quicker and so much more comfortable.

Suzanne

Thanks for the reply Suzanne - I was wondering about this too. We got a great rate with the Disney Club discount!

This was what I needed to hear. I had thought about Avis, but that seems to be "the" place to rent, thus causing lines. I'm glad now I made my resevations. Thanks for the hint about telling the baggage handler too.

Paul
Duluth, MN

When you made your reservations, which pick up spot did you list? I was not aware that National had anything even near the port. I was told Cocoa Beach and I thought that was a lot further away. We were just planning on keeping our car from Orlando at the port while we cruise. I would appreciate any info that you could share...

Cocoa Beach is the town that is right next to the cruise ship terminals - "the Port."

We rented our car from the National office in Cocoa beach, which is several miles away from the ship terminal and only about a 10 minute cab ride. It is the furthest from the terminal, but by only a few miles. Being in a cab, it did not matter to us which rental place we were going to because it is not a significant amount of time, and it was so quick once we got there.

We enjoyed having our own cab, paid for by National, and will do it again. The driver told us that Yellow Cab has a contract with national - $11 per run. National found it cheaper to use cabs than to keep and maintain their own van.

Check Dave's site for map and location of rental car places.

Please be aware that you tell the DCL agent that youare going to National, so you'll get a yellow cab. We didn't, and we ended up taking a regular cab to National, and ended up paying close to $25 with tip. It really didn't matter, since we had 2 kids and TONS of stuff, it would have been a little tight in a regular cab anyway. But just be careful, National will deduct the $11, but that's it, if you pay more, it's out of your own pocket. I'd rent from National again, only if it was significantly cheaper than Avis. It just seemed to far from the port to me. Next cruise we might go to WDW for a couple of days post cruise, and if we do, we'll most likely rent from Avis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter