Nassau beach help ...resort for a day ?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by brewcrew, Aug 13, 2017 at 10:03 AM.

1. brewcrew

brewcrew Mouseketeer

We have been to Nassau a few times but just don't get off the ship anymore. We've done Atlantis twice and do not need to go back. My youngest daughter does want to go and visit a beach in Nassau this upcoming trip. I've been looking at Cable Beach and getting a Melia day pass or going to the Hilton by the port and getting a day pass. Does anybody here have any experience with either of these options or any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

2. KashasMom

KashasMom DIS Veteran

We've done the Hilton twice. The beach is nice (not huge) - I like that it overlooks the ships. Love the pool and food is really good. It's so convenient to the ship as well. Haven't been to Melia but beach is much bigger and they have a few pools. Depends on how many amenities you want/need but I'd have no problem going to the Hilton again.

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

to hide this advert.
  4. brewcrew

brewcrew Mouseketeer

Thanks!!!

5. Pooh2

Pooh2 Dis Veteran

How much do the daypasses run for either of these options?

6. brewcrew

brewcrew Mouseketeer

Melia is $45 with no food voucher but has more of a real beach scene. Would have to get transportation for a short ride there.
    Hilton is $79 and includes $40 food voucher. You can literally see the ships from the beach and you can walk there.

Pooh2 likes this.
  7. Pooh2

Pooh2 Dis Veteran

Do you have to buy your passes ahead of time? Or would you wait and see what the weather is that day?

8. brewcrew

brewcrew Mouseketeer

Melia is 100% refundable for ongoing rain (not sun showers) or if your ship doesn't pull into port.

Hilton is 100% refundable 11 days prior or if your ship doesn't pull into port.

Pooh2 likes this.
  9. cscream13

cscream13 Mouseketeer

I am also looking at hotel beach options for a day in Nassau -- where did you find the prices and info re: when it is refundable? Are you looking at booking directly or through a third party site?

10. brewcrew

brewcrew Mouseketeer

The Hilton is through resortforaday.com (a 3rd party sight). Choose Nassau and the Hilton is one of the choices. The refund policy is on that page Under FAQ.

Melia is through bookatourcaribbean.com. Their refund policy is under FAQ as well.

Let me know what you think. I did some initial research on another cruise discussion board to gather this information and thought that the Disboards would have some more insight as well.

cscream13 likes this.
  11. Narnia_girl

Narnia_girl He's not a tame lion, but he is good.

I did a lot of research on the Melia a few years ago and had every intention of spending our Nassau day there. We were going to book the day of (not sure if that's still an option), but when we arrived our kids just weren't interested. It looks to be a lovely option. I'll be interested to hear your impressions of either place as we are probably going back to Nassau on our next cruise.

12. brewcrew

brewcrew Mouseketeer

They need to be booked ahead apparently but I've read where they hold a few back for day of reservations.

Narnia_girl likes this.
  13. KashasMom

KashasMom DIS Veteran

Last time we were at the Hilton, people were booking at the hotel day of.... not sure if that is still the case but I doubt they'd turn anyone away.

14. cscream13

cscream13 Mouseketeer

I emailed the Hilton directly to inquire about booking options (I was curious about booking with points, but they said no dice). They actually referred me to 2 third-party sites previously mentioned, which can be booked up until the day prior to arrival and are cheaper than walking in to the Hilton on day of to get the day pass, although that is an option.

Since I can't use points, I am starting to lean toward booking Melia. I don't like that the Hilton pass charges more to include food.

We are sailing in October -- if anyone goes before then and wants to share a recent experience, that would be appreciated!

15. MUN

MUN DIS Veteran

Junkanoo Beach is a short walk from port and has plenty of food/drink and water toy options from local/friendly merchants.

16. KashasMom

KashasMom DIS Veteran

I'm sure the food you'll buy at Melia will be more expensive, not to mention transportation costs from/to ship. I'm actually considering Melia for a land vacation. My daughter would love the pools.

cscream13 likes this.
  17. TigerLaw

TigerLaw DIS Veteran

FWIW, the reviews of the Hilton daypass option on TA are more favorable than for media

cscream13 likes this.
  18. fredandkell

fredandkell Mouseketeer

We used points to book the Hilton beach in 2015. While we did not book a "day pass" we used points to book a room and therefore acquire access to the beach - just didn't sleep there that night. The beach was very underwhelming - very small, kept getting whiffs of ship's fuel from the docked cruise ships, and the pool bar was very expensive. We only booked it because we ended up staying an extra day in Nassau due to weather.