NASCAR in Las Vegas - anybody been to??

rszdtrvl

DIS Veteran
Okay, so not only are DH and I going to LV in January, but DH now wants to see the NASCAR race in March.

Anybody ever been to a big event at the LV speedway? Or to NASCAR? What was it like??

I already know the city is going to be insane that weekend, and it will be crazy at the speedway.

Anybody??

I went to the 2 Champ Car races at the Speedway. They ran the event with the NASCAR trucks, which were on first. For NASCAR, you're probably going to have a sell-out crowd or close to it. Just count on extreme traffic delays getting in and out, since there are only 2 exits from the Speedway (to the 15 freeway and to Las Vegas Blvd). Give yourselves plenty of time to get in and plan to relax in the parking lot for a very long while before attempting to leave. As I recall, the facilities were good at the Speedway. Good views from all the seats. There was a variety of food and drink available.

I'm more accustomed to being at the road course, just outside the Speedway oval, for vintage events. But, those 2 Champ Car races on the oval were fun (except for the fact that oval races with open wheel cars always made me worry about driver safety).

As long as you give yourselves plenty of time, I think you'll enjoy the Speedway. Just note that it is a decent distance from the strip. Plus, it can get quite cold and windy in that area. If you come in on surface streets (LV Blvd takes forever! You can also do 15 fwy to Craig Rd to LV Blvd), the surrounding area is pretty sketchy. If you don't want to eat at the track, there are some good restaurants along LV Blvd before you hit Craig Rd (coming from the strip) and on Craig Rd on the other side of the 15 fwy around the Cannery Hotel and a couple miles past it.

If the race is during the day, be ready for some possible fighter jet noise from Nellis Airforce Base next door. They fly over all the time when we're there for vintage events and those suckers are loud!! Chances are, the Thunderbirds will do the fly-over before the start of the NASCAR race.

It will be me, DH, DS, and my mother.

We are 100% confirmed for everything now : airfare, hotel, NASCAR tickets, Shuttle bus to/from the race with pickup from our hotel ($70pp round trip - yikes - almost more expensive than the tickets), etc.

We plan on buying a good pair of earplugs (like the kind that go over your head that you use when doing target practice) for at least my son, as I know the noise is loud (he will be 14).

Glad to know about the wind - we will keep that in mind, and be sure to bring jackets.

Thanks!!

My DH and I went to the race last year. We had a blast. Some of the drivers will hold special events the days before the race so keep looking. I'm a Tony Stewart fan and he and Ryan Newman held a question and answer event at the Palazzo along with an autograph session.

We rented a car and drove to the track. We go early, so it only took us about a half hour to get their. We paid for the Lucky 7 parking pass which makes for an easy in, easy out. I think we were back in our hotel no less than 3 hours after the race ended. Not bad considering we live near Charlotte and it takes a lot longer to get home from their after a race. You're paying a lot for that shuttle, a rental car may be cheaper. You can rent from most of the hotels on the strip, even if you just get it for the day. We also like having a car because if we do any souvenier shopping before the race we can put our purchases back in the car.

If you've never been to a race I can tell you that they will let you take in a small cooler with drinks (including beer) if you want. Just no glass bottles and you can also bring in food.

FYI: If you get to the track early, some of the drivers will hold autograph sessions at their team's souvenier trucks before the race. You will need to be there early to get a ticket for the autograph as they only issue a limited amount. The teams usually post a sign outside of the truck showing what time the session will be.

I've been to LVMS many times and they DO NOT let you bring in drinks or food. You can bring in water, but they limit it 2 bottles per person. I've also been to PIR in Phoenix and they let you bring in food and drinks just no alcohol. Hope you have fun at the race.

Second time...tho I didn't go to the race last time. (make me crabby to be in Vegas and NOT gambling--they went to the track THREE days last time...)
I said I would go to the main race this time. MIL has box tickets, so figured if I'm gonna finally go to a NASCAR race THIS is the one to go to!
MIL/FIL drive to Vegas so have always driven to the track. We are considering trying to rent a limo for the day--heard $500-800 for the day (3 couples splitting the cost). Not horrid for the day looking at the shuttle cost!
We stayed (and will be staying) at the Nugget downtown. I didn't find the strip to be particularly busier than any weekend; downtown was quiet during the day, but CRAZY busy at night.
Weather varied A LOT. Friday was GORGEOUS--sunny, 70s. Saturday was 60s, sunny, very windy (too cool to sit by the pool even in capris). Sunday was cool & windy requiring jackets at the track.

We got crazy tickets -

Section 1, Row 1

Yikes! Right next to the track! Should be loud and memorable.

We didn't plan on bringing beverages or snacks to the race. To us, that is all part of the experience.

:)

We have been to the Nascar Races several times and each time was a great time! :yay: Of course it is noisy and busy, but if you know that going in you know to allow extra time for getting there and if you have your headset (or you can rent them) you may save your ears a little. Have a great time!

We'll be there too...........our first race and first trip to Vegas. We are so excited. This was hubby's surprise Christmas gift and he is over the top excited...............

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter