Nametags on little guys...

MichiganMommy

Mouseketeer
Hello Mommies and Daddies, Do you put nametags on your kids at WDW? On our last trip (sons were 2 and 5) I made some small laminated tags with our childs name, parents names, my cell phone number, and our hotel name. I laced them onto the kids' shoes with the information facing down. I'm trying to decide if I should do something similar this year (sons are now 4 and 7). I'm trying to decide if I should put it on their shoe again, or pin in inside their pocket or shirt. DH4 hates the size/laundry instruction tags in his shirts though, always makes me cut them out.

I'm looking for any good ideas. What do you do?

I had one of the id inside bracelets for my DS9 for our trip last week and he didn't like wearing it... wasn't comfy on his wrist or something. I just pulled the velcro to make a smaller circle and put it around the strap on his fanny pack. Worked great! I felt better knowing he had it and he wasn't fussing over whether it was too tight/loose, etc.

There is nothing more than my children's safety. But, what will the tags do? If my 4 year old is lost, she knows to talk to a Disney employee and we will find each other. And, if an unspeakable happens, the tag won't do any of us much good.

Please tell me your thoughts -- what am I not thinking of?

Thanks!

E, J, & H.....you're right. There's only so much you can do to teach your kids and to prepare yourself. So as long as you've taken all the precautions necessary, you've done what you can.

I mentioned on another thread that we had never lost our children in the parks....but we did lose our 3 yo DD in DtD. We had just come out of Rainforest Cafe, walked around the corner and came across the carousel. All the kids wanted to ride it, so DH got in line with 8yo DS, 3yo DD, and 1yo DS (in the stroller). 5yo DD and I ran back to RC to ask a question about a Disney Club discount and when I got back DH was looking frantically around for her. DS8 had unbuckled DS1 in anticipation for the ride and he had run off. So, while DH grabbed him, 3yo DD walked away.

After a terrifying search...I have no idea how long it was, at least 5 minutes maybe more....time is irrelevant in those circumstances, we found her in the sand play area just around the corner. She had followed another little girl and her family there and they were playing together. DtD has absolutely no system in place for lost children. I don't think the CM I was talking to had any way to communicate that there was a lost child to anyone else. Everyone just kind of wandered around with DH and I calling her name.

So, just be prepared!!!!

Something that goes along with this, I taught my children how to say and spell their first and last names, address, phone # and mommy and daddy's first names at a very early age. Reason why: DMIL was at Kmart and came across a lost little girl around 3 years old. She took her to the front desk and when they asked her for her first name it was hard to understand and she didn't know her mothers first name. Most kids only know mom and dad as "mom and dad". I'm getting the inside id tags for our next trip. That way I can put DH cell phone # and our hotel info in there.

Tay and Evie's Mom.....exactly!!!!

We play a game, usually over dinner or in the car where each of the kids pretends to be lost and either I or one of the other kids is a "worker". It's fun and they've all learned their names, how to spell them, Mom and Dad's name, our phone #, and even Gma and Gpa's name and #.

Many times they'll ASK to play the "Lost" game.....and heaven forbid the "worker" forgets to ask a certain question...."Hey, you forgot to ask for my phone number!! Start over!!"

Also, "workers" look different at each place. I always make sure and point out the tags, whether it's at Disney or in a big department store. I specifically tell my children to look for someone with a tag....not just any adult. And at Disney, there are so many shops and stores it would be easy to tell a child just to walk straight into the closest one of those instead of wandering around on their own trying to find someone.

At my local craft store (Michael's), I purchased clear, plastic, round pins. I put a character (from Disney's Magic Artist CD Rom) and then put my child's name on the front, so it works like a Guest Badge. Some of the characters were able to signs my kids' autograph books with their name. Some of the CMs at restaurants and rides called them by name which was great. I wouldn't put my kids names on their shirts anywhere except Disney.

On the back of the pin, which is clear also, I put our name, my cell phone number, and the resort where we are staying. They are unbelievably cheap (less than $1) and can be changed and reused.

For my 2 year old, I pinned it to the back of her shirt since it has a real pin in it.

Hope this helps!

Susan

hi , i don't think i would put there name in plain view, put them on the b and of there pants or somewhere where no can see it .

I purchased Disney "Guest of Honor" badges with kids name on them. On the back I taped on our hotel name and dates of stay.
Kids loved wearing the badges and having the CM's talk to them using their name.

when we brought our 5 yr old with us, we got her ready with a fanny pack. she knew we WOULD NOT leave the room without that pack on her... and hence she never did.

within it was a laminated card stating her name, our name, cell phone number, hotel, dates of stay, allergies and other such information. on the opposite side was a clear family photo with my myself, husband and her...we wanted the people to be able to know who they were looking for.

apon arrival at disney we introduced her to several CM's and even had several games of "find a CM'

went over if she became seperated to find a cm (any ride..food booth or place that sells toys or clothing) and tell the Cm that her parents got lost and open her fanny pack with the information.

hope it helps...i did not want a name tag on her that was visible but wanted any and all information with her "just in case" she paniced and needed a easy way to relay information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter