My spouse hates Disney, should we divorce?

If he really is a wet blanket maybe you should either stop going or go without him, but it doesn't exactly sound that way to me. It sounds like he just acknowledges this is your thing that you enjoy and he's along for the ride. My husband is pretty much the same way. He may be a little more enthusiastic about it but we've only been twice. We went for the first time a couple years ago and have already been to WDW twice and have a trip to DLR and another trip to WDW planned. I honestly don't think it ever even occurred to him, or to me for that matter, that Disney would be anything more than a one and done for me. But here we are. And he loves how much I enjoy it--and he would rather I plan it all. He doesn't resent the planning. In fact he saw pretty early in our first trip how much better of a time we were having than other people. He's very insistent that we follow the plan, he just wants no part in making the plan.

I sort of asked him about it after our last trip and he basically just said it doesn't make sense for him to plan stuff at Disney. For instance, he said, You could ask me to pick a restaurant in Epcot and I would say something like well I like Japanese, let's go here. It would probably be a five or a six out of ten, maybe we would luck out and it would be a seven. Or I could just let you pick and you will read every menu within three miles and 100s of reviews, not just of the restaurant you pick but of the eight you passed over. And you'll think about what I enjoy and what you enjoy. And you'll work it into a comprehensive day long plan like on our first night in Epcot when we were on that Donald Duck boat ride and you pointed up on the shore to people eating and said we had a reservation there for when the ride was over or when we were in that restaurant outside at Hollywood Studios and we were both so surprised that I was the one who was so shaken by Tower of Terror and I saw that waitress carrying those big wire racks full of little cocktails and I asked what those were just in time to have them arrive at the table and how I wondered how you had managed that given that we didn't have menus yet. And you'll know what we should order and maybe point out some details of décor that I would have missed. And most importantly you'll be floating at eleven out of ten because you're so excited to finally be there. And all that will make it an eight for me before the food even comes, and, yeah, I won't ever make it to eleven with you. But, you know, that restaurant in Paris that I've raved about for years? It was an eight, a solid eight, an eight after a wonderful day and a truly magical evening with you in Paris. Me at a solid eight and you bouncing around at eleven is a pretty nice evening.

Now, when it comes to Disney when he says he wants to do what I want to do I just believe him...

And I thought Disney shows made me cry! I love every word of this ❤

My DH is a scuba diver and I am not. I go along on a trip once every 2 years when the dive group stays at a nice resort. I do my solo Orlando trips when he dives, which is several times a year. Works for us! So glad he doesn't insist I come along on his trips.

Haha.. Yes! I really thought people would come here and say yeah, my spouse is the same and vent too to make me feel better!

But I have to say sparring with a LOSERS fan made it all worth it :)
Ask the red Sox. How many world series championship s vs the Yankees

so we will have that long Disney stretch again this trip, but spending our first 4 days outside again too.
How about switching that to the last four days? Give him something enjoyable to anticipate?

What does he enjoy doing? Include that in your plans.

Don't force him to go to the parks

Do you ever vacation where he enjoys, or is it always Disney every trip?

Do you ever vacation where he enjoys, or is it always Disney every trip?

Yes, Ive stated that a few times in this thread. We vacation 2x per year. 1 is his pick, 2 is mine. I choose, with my kids and now only DD, Disney every couple of years. From 2012 - 2014 we did not go at all...6 trips, no Disney, mostly because my boys started college and started losing interest then. So now, every 4th trip or so is Disney because my DD and I still enjoy it, a lot.

We do do other things on occasion, parasailing at the Contemporary, Wakeboarding at the Contemporary (now closed), Petty Racecar (now closed) and we've done a few special park tours, which he found interesting, but dont do too many each trip because honestly, its $$$ and when you times each by 5 its $$$$$$$$$$$$$. We are fortune to have a healthy budget each vacation, but its a budget nonetheless.

I didnt know about the fishing, and will look into that tomorrow, as well as the horseback riding, but if he does those things, he will still be in the parks 8 days! I cant send him off every day. We already have tix to TL H2O Glow Party, MNSSHP and the Wild Africa Trek at AK. This was about $1000 total, which was my (mental) budget for "extras" at Disney. We are also spending 4 nights outside of Disney, at the beginning of our trip, doing new things (except Discovery Cove, which he likes).

Try a disney cruise with ports that interest him.
You get disney, he gets new experiences.

Ha! We cruise often, but honestly I cant justify the price of Disney vs other cruiselines going to the same places. We need 2 cabins, or a very large suite for our family of 5. For the price of DCL, we can get a deluxe 2 bdrm penthouse w/ butler and concierge on other cruiselines. How can we pass that up? Especially when we all like the other cruiselines (RCI, NCL, Princess). If its not baroque...........

Otoh, how many this millenium? Red Sox have a higher overall win percentage, both games and Series, than the Yankees.

Now, what did I miss? How does this relate to the OP's situation? :confused3
Lol.side discussion. We're having fun.

The question isn't so much should as when. I say after you have an emotional affair with a hot Disney CM at the pretzel shop. But if he feeds you a can of creamed corn, run.
Hilarious! Not about the emotional affair, but that you would pick the pretzel maker. I feel I would have more of a connection with the popcorn sweeper. He has got to know the scoop on everything Disney! Those silent ones...watch out! His eyes are everywhere.

Ha! We cruise often, but honestly I cant justify the price of Disney vs other cruiselines going to the same places. We need 2 cabins, or a very large suite for our family of 5. For the price of DCL, we can get a deluxe 2 bdrm penthouse w/ butler and concierge on other cruiselines. How can we pass that up? Especially when we all like the other cruiselines (RCI, NCL, Princess). If its not baroque...........
I thought you said the children were grown up?

I thought you said the children were grown up?

2 of 3 are, but they wouldnt pass up a cruise :) (but no to Disney :( ) My family is my world, which is why I wouldnt take a separate vacation. I always extend an invite to everyone.

Are you sure you're just not being annoying? Seriously, I get my Disney talk out on here because I find myself being annoying lol My husband likes Disney but does not want to hear about it all the time. The last two years we have planned big Disney trips so I have to zip it a bit to keep him from running away lol ;)

It's funny my parents are just now figuring out that they should take separate trips. They are not Disney people but they have completely different tastes in what is fun and what is not. If my hubby didn't want to go with me, I would just go on my own.

I'd say you need a Disney Vacation. Since the kids are grown, I don't think it would be unreasonable to go with just your daughter, or even a friend, while he goes on a trip or some activity that he'd enjoy more.

We've been married 32 years and in the beginning, I think he went because I wanted to, but then we did some scavenger hunts, and he discovered there's a lot more to Disney World than some rides and a mouse :rolleyes2
After that, he was right up there planning with me (although I do most of the work).

But I have the opposite problem this trip, due to 'life happens' I'm going to be going solo for the first time, and he's more than a bit bummed that he isn't able to go.

Now - if he suddenly started rooting for the DmnYankees, I'd say get that divorce pronto :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter