My spouse hates Disney, should we divorce?

He will go. He doesnt complain about going...he just doesnt show any excitement about it. Turns into a fuddy duddy. He doesnt care where we eat, he doesnt care which parks we go to, he doesnt care if we go to MNSSHP or not etc..etc.... I just wish he would say "Yeah, lets go to XXXX I really like it there."

I go on his wild trips, hiking up the St Lucia Pitons, spending 2 weeks in the Amazon jungles, staring at the rocks of the Grand Canyon for days, laying bored on the beaches of Mexico etc, etc... And I give input and smile the whole time.
You are not your husband and he is not you. HE. DOES. NOT. LIKE. DISNEY. He goes because he loves you. You will not get him to like Disney. So why stress over it? Either go with him knowing he's going through the motions, leave him home and go by yourself with with someone else, or don't go. That's pretty much the only three choices. There are a lot of things I would like to do that DW wouldn't and there's things she likes to do that I don't.

Oh, for pity's sake. Either go somewhere that he enjoys, or go without him.

I would be beyond peeved if my spouse kept insisting on going someplace that he KNEW I didn't like, expecting me to change my mind. Huge waste of time, huge waste of money, huge waste of vacation. OP needs to be more mature, and look up the definition of "insanity". Seriously. This isn't a marriage problem, it's not a husband problem. It's an "OP refuses to face her reality" problem.
Great response

Please tell me this entire thread is a joke.

You've been married 28 years and this isn't a new phenomenon.
You plan every second, despite him not liking being on that kind of schedule.
You don't want to compromise.

This has got to be a joke.

If it's not...
1) I'm guessing when you're on a cruise, every second isn't planned. So he's probably more relaxed.
2) Yes, of course you should compromise. How about finding something he likes to do and let him do that while you go to the parks? He can golf, fish, hike, relax by the pool, whatever.
3) You can not make him like, much less love Disney.

I just found out the other day my DH absolutely LOVES brussel sprouts. I never knew. I totally dislike them and never ever have made them. Luckily, tho we worked out this problem.......he makes them himself and all is good in the household. :love:

OP, good luck with your dilemma! :hug:

He will go. He doesnt complain about going...he just doesnt show any excitement about it. Turns into a fuddy duddy. He doesnt care where we eat, he doesnt care which parks we go to, he doesnt care if we go to MNSSHP or not etc..etc.... I just wish he would say "Yeah, lets go to XXXX I really like it there."

I go on his wild trips, hiking up the St Lucia Pitons, spending 2 weeks in the Amazon jungles, staring at the rocks of the Grand Canyon for days, laying bored on the beaches of Mexico etc, etc... And I give input and smile the whole time.
So......you're good at lying and faking a good time on his vacation destination choices.
And he's not able to do the same for you at WDW??

Maybe someday when you have grandchildren. It would be hard to hold back a smile for a little cutie pie going to Disney for the first time.
Thats the only time he's smiling....with the kids :)

Deleted photos as some did not think my DH would like his pictures on here. (Though he couldnt care less)

But normally......

Meanwhile, my daughter and I.........

Last edited:

I agree with this.

So I like what you (OP) said about tacking some non-Disney things he likes onto the beginning of the trip. Maybe you could also explore some on-Disney-property options for him while you're there - send him golfing or fishing one of the days you and the others go to the parks, that sort of thing. It may just be that he is really overwhelmed by the crowds and the hustle. A break day to himself in the middle might perk him up a lot. Here are some ideas:

https://www.golfwdw.com/

https://www.wdwinfo.com/recreation/fishing.htm

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/tri-circle-d-ranch/

That actually sounds pretty fair.
I agree.

This happened to my friend in reverse. She was the one that had enough of WDW while her DH loved every trip there.

She has taken him all over Europe, on a safari in Africa, and their latest trip was Antarctica. She’s gotten him to go scuba diving and skydiving. She is an adventurer, and he goes along with it. He gets his trips to WDW in return. They have done every extra thing you could do in WDW to make it more interesting for her.

That’s what you need to do for your husband.

He just came into the kitchen. I asked him..

"Do you hate Disney or do you just not care about going?" He said "Neither".

I said "What do you mean, neither? He said "Go or dont go, it doesnt matter to me".

Ughhhh.

So then maybe this is a case where you're a couple that doesn't vacation as well as you thought you would together or maybe time has crept up and after this long you both enjoy vacation differently than you did years and years ago.

If you're both faking it the whole time what's the point? Find other things that you both truly truly enjoy together close to home that don't involve a vacation.

Enjoy the little things instead rather than the big whole event that a vacation can be.

Since he can't even feign interest in or pleasantness during your vacation preferences - despite your doing so for HIS vacation choices which have outnumbered the Disney trips - I'd go solo, take a friend or your daughter to Disney & ENJOY without Mr. Deadweight. I'd also be done going on vacations he picks unless I actually was interested in them.

Since he can't even feign interest in or pleasantness during your vacation preferences - despite your doing so for HIS vacation choices which have outnumbered the Disney trips - I'd go solo, take a friend or your daughter to Disney & ENJOY without Mr. Deadweight. I'd also be done going on vacations he picks unless I actually was interested in them.
Kat fight... Poor guy. Siding with hubby. Hey is this thread a joke....if so it's a good one. Go Yankees.

If he really is a wet blanket maybe you should either stop going or go without him, but it doesn't exactly sound that way to me. It sounds like he just acknowledges this is your thing that you enjoy and he's along for the ride. My husband is pretty much the same way. He may be a little more enthusiastic about it but we've only been twice. We went for the first time a couple years ago and have already been to WDW twice and have a trip to DLR and another trip to WDW planned. I honestly don't think it ever even occurred to him, or to me for that matter, that Disney would be anything more than a one and done for me. But here we are. And he loves how much I enjoy it--and he would rather I plan it all. He doesn't resent the planning. In fact he saw pretty early in our first trip how much better of a time we were having than other people. He's very insistent that we follow the plan, he just wants no part in making the plan.

I sort of asked him about it after our last trip and he basically just said it doesn't make sense for him to plan stuff at Disney. For instance, he said, You could ask me to pick a restaurant in Epcot and I would say something like well I like Japanese, let's go here. It would probably be a five or a six out of ten, maybe we would luck out and it would be a seven. Or I could just let you pick and you will read every menu within three miles and 100s of reviews, not just of the restaurant you pick but of the eight you passed over. And you'll think about what I enjoy and what you enjoy. And you'll work it into a comprehensive day long plan like on our first night in Epcot when we were on that Donald Duck boat ride and you pointed up on the shore to people eating and said we had a reservation there for when the ride was over or when we were in that restaurant outside at Hollywood Studios and we were both so surprised that I was the one who was so shaken by Tower of Terror and I saw that waitress carrying those big wire racks full of little cocktails and I asked what those were just in time to have them arrive at the table and how I wondered how you had managed that given that we didn't have menus yet. And you'll know what we should order and maybe point out some details of décor that I would have missed. And most importantly you'll be floating at eleven out of ten because you're so excited to finally be there. And all that will make it an eight for me before the food even comes, and, yeah, I won't ever make it to eleven with you. But, you know, that restaurant in Paris that I've raved about for years? It was an eight, a solid eight, an eight after a wonderful day and a truly magical evening with you in Paris. Me at a solid eight and you bouncing around at eleven is a pretty nice evening.

Now, when it comes to Disney when he says he wants to do what I want to do I just believe him...

I dont know, DH and I have been together 18 years. He isnt a Disney fan, I dont like motor racing .
But we are a team and we are each others "date" to do things that make the other happy.
And in these cases they arent things (like a movie) where it would be practical to go with a friend.

Sure. We all do little one evening or one weekend things with our spouses that are not our favorites.

But op is talking about an expensive several days vacation to a specific place.

Big difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!