My local Target will be selling fresh produce

marcemc

I wouldn't be able to handle such fluffliness eith
I am sooooo happy!! They will start selling it starting march 23rd.
Does it mean the store will become a Super Target?

They also just got brand new shopping carts :cool1:

Mine is starting on the 27th, from what they say it is not a super. I'm in grocery heaven, there is an aldi's opening across the street from Target in a few weeks!

Mine is starting on the 27th, from what they say it is not a super. I'm in grocery heaven, there is an aldi's opening across the street from Target in a few weeks!

:cool1: Yay for you!!

I wonder about their variety & prices :confused3

I've heard some Targets are even selling organic produce

It is not a super target but they have a nice variety of fresh groceries.They carry purdue fit and easy boneless chicken breasts(they are on sale alot for 1.99 a pd) and thighs and legs.Hormel brand pork chops-different cuts,ground beef and steaks of different cuts.They have some specialty meats like beef pinwheels and stuffed chicken breasts with cheese and asparagus or ham and cheese-they are tasty.They have dole salad and a few different kinds of tomatoes,potatoes,cucumbers,onions,peppersand apples.Also have oranges,bananas,strawberries,grapes,blueberries,cut up melon and veggies.It is very easy for me to find things to make a meal when I don't feel like going to the regular grocery store.Target is 2 minutes away for me so I am there alot.In fact tonight we are having breaded chicken breast in the oven with baked sweet potatoes and asparagus-all from target.The prices are like everything else-some good some not(potatoes are usually more)they run sales on the fruit alot I think this week strawberries are on sale and grapes.

I am sooooo happy!! They will start selling it starting march 23rd.
Does it mean the store will become a Super Target?

They also just got brand new shopping carts :cool1:

No -- in Target parlance, it will still be a general merchandise store, just with an expanded grocery section and a more modern floorplan.

The main difference between these remodels and SuperTarget stores is that the remodels will not have a deli/bakery department. Plus, while these remodeled stores will be selling meats/produce, their selection will be much smaller than current SuperTarget stores.

Plus, SuperTarget stores, like Walmart Supercenters, are giant-sized stores, in general.

From what I have seen, the square footage dedicated to grocery sales is equalivalent to what you would see in a small supermarket. Also, it's definitely worth checking-out, as it has been said in many areas that some of Target's grocery prices are lower than Walmart (who is generally-regarded by many as the low price leader).

Hormel brand pork chops-different cuts,ground beef and steaks of different cuts.

I pretty much hate pork. My husband really likes pork chops. The Target pork chops are the only ones I like. If you Target gets them you should give them a try.

Also my Target has produce, but is quite hit or miss. I find it always has good grapes, and other "kid friendly" produce. I am guessing they just sell a ton of those items so they don't go bad.

Am I the only one concerned about Target and Wal-Mart moving into the grocery business? I can envision them pricing out the dedicated grocery stores with below cost prices and then being able to charge whatever they want when all the grocery stores bite the dust.

Don't get me wrong I love the convenience of Target and Wally World but I don't want to find myself in a position one day where I have no choice but to shop there because there is no place else to go.

Am I the only one concerned about Target and Wal-Mart moving into the grocery business? I can envision them pricing out the dedicated grocery stores with below cost prices and then being able to charge whatever they want when all the grocery stores bite the dust.

Don't get me wrong I love the convenience of Target and Wally World but I don't want to find myself in a position one day where I have no choice but to shop there because there is no place else to go.

There is no grocery store in my town, and in the next town over there is one store (Big Y). Their prices are insane and they take advantage of the fact there is no other store in town. For example, once Crisco Oil was on rollback at Walmart (two towns away) for $2.00, Big Y it was $4.57. Maybe if Walmart moved in town my local store wouldn't take advantage of its customers and charge a fair price.

There is no grocery store in my town, and in the next town over there is one store (Big Y). Their prices are insane and they take advantage of the fact there is no other store in town. For example, once Crisco Oil was on rollback at Walmart (two towns away) for $2.00, Big Y it was $4.57. Maybe if Walmart moved in town my local store wouldn't take advantage of its customers and charge a fair price.

Hmmm, that is another side of it that I hadn't considered. I've always lived in large cities and I've recently noticed a lot of mom n' pop and specialty stores closing down. I can see how a Wal-Mart in a small town could seem like a godsend.

Superwalmarts have been in existence for MANY years and they even have some stand alone grocery stores in some places and the local markets still survive. Their produce isn't super high quality or is their meat, imo, and they don't sell more than basic items. I'll always still go to my more 'upscale' regular markets most of the time.

Seems to vary by location. The one closest to us installed the 'produce' section, but it's still extremely limited. There are other Targets nearby (not Super Target) that have a more expansive selection.

Superwalmarts have been in existence for MANY years and they even have some stand alone grocery stores in some places and the local markets still survive. Their produce isn't super high quality or is their meat, imo, and they don't sell more than basic items. I'll always still go to my more 'upscale' regular markets most of the time.

I agree with you. My one & only experience buying walmart's chicken was disgusting enough that I would never even consider buying anything from either their meat/poultry/fish department. :scared1:

Also, in my town, grocery stores like Fry's offer really good prices.

Sounds like something I read on one of those union websites, once...in all seriousness, Walmart has been in the grocery business for more than 20 years (and just recently started getting a foothold in longtime union "fortresses", such as the U.S. northeast).

From a business standpoint, Target wasn't left with much of a choice. Their superstores initially were few and far between (usually in high-income, upscale areas). Unfortunately, due to the housing crisis, many of those superstores eventually downsized (and I think a few even closed).

If your neighborhood grocer/large grocery chain knows their customers and continues to provide a clean store, competitive pricing, and a friendly shopping experience, they won't be going away, anytime soon.

They are remodeling some of the Targets out here in SoCal and my godson says the one he works at will be called P Fresh or Pfresh. They got rid of the gardening section. I shop at Walmart for basics, but the regular grocery stores still get most of my money. I can't see Walmart or Target either, for that matter, taking over. They don't have enough of a variety.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter