My little mans big adventure PTR

Wills Mom

DIS Veteran
So having never done a report before I'm hoping you can bear with me while I attempt one for our upcoming trip :goodvibes We're 60 days out so I think it could be time to start one of these!

As the heading hints it will be our DS Will's first time to WDW though technically he's 'going home' as he hitched a ride to Ireland in my tummy after our last trip to WDW ;)
Lets start with the introductions!

The Cast
I'm Pam, 30 year old full time mum of one with aspirations of growing our family into a football team.....if only DH will go along with it lol.
Speaking of DH - that's James. He's 31 and works in a boring sales job bless him but someone's gotta pay for my WDW obsession ;) James and I have been together since 2002 and have visited WDW every year since 2005 up til our honeymoon in 2011. We couldn't go back in 2012 because thats when DS arrived!
Onto DS Will. He recently turned 1 and is the light of our lives, and boy doesn't he know it lol. He absolutely LOVES Mickey Mouse - how could he not with a mother like me lol!

So the 3 of us had decided to go on Will's first big adventure to WDW when my parents (57 and 54 respectively) asked if they could come along too. Will is their first grandchild and they adore him so we said why not! Plus it will be nice to have the extra helping hands ;) My only DSis (26) and her OH (25) are also coming so that makes 6 adults and a toddler......but we're not done yet!!

My aunts family heard we were going and asked if I could book the same dates but separate car/accom for them so now theres my aunt (60), her husband (63), her only son (35), his pregnant wife (32) and their 2 year old son also coming along for the ride!
So we have 10 adults and 2 toddlers :)

The plans
We are flying out of Dublin with Virgin Atlantic on May 4th at 8.40am for 17 nights. Stopover in Gatwick and due to depart for MCO at 1pm with our arrival time estimated as 5.05pm.
We have hired 2x7 seater minivans from Budget, no Sat Navs booked but we have GPS apps on our phones so hopefully they will work. If they don't we can make a trip to Walmart ;)
We booked 2 private pool homes in the Glenbrook area, having stayed there before I know its a nice area and the houses are lovely.

As far as our day to day plans go seeing as our first full day will be May 5th and its a holiday in the US we have decided to get settled and allow the kids to just get used to the new environment. We plan on eating at home a lot so we will probably do a grocery run at some stage.
Our first park is usually MK however crowd calendars are estimating it to be a busy day so we are going to Universal Studios as our first park. Its laid back and my parents have never been to US or IOA before so it'll be a nice change of pace for them. Our second park will be MK followed by a day off. I have built in a lot of down time into our itinerary as we don't know how DS will be handling the new environment and the time change. I'm happy to miss things and go at a different pace as we've been so many times and no doubt will be back again, I just can't wait to enjoy Will at my favourite place on earth! :goodvibes

It will also be mine and DHs second wedding anniversary while we are away so we're looking forward to celebrating as my parents have promised us several date nights seeing as we don't get many at home :)

As I'm doing this PTR on my phone I can't upload any pics of us so once I get onto the laptop I'll update with pics, along with a couple of other things such as our 'To Do' list! Thanks for reading along thus far!!

Pam, sounds like you will have a ball. Extended family trips can be a nightmare but also great fun. Just remember to take down time away from the family if you need it ;)

Not long to go now, are you pretty well organised? Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Pam, sounds like you will have a ball. Extended family trips can be a nightmare but also great fun. Just remember to take down time away from the family if you need it ;)

Not long to go now, are you pretty well organised? Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Thanks Joh :goodvibes I *think* we have adjusted our expectations for this trip plus I have told everyone that I am 100% focused on Will - everyone else (myself included) come a very very distant second. Fingers crossed it goes decently!

Update including some pics coming now :yay: Thats if I can figure out photobucket :rotfl2:

So as promised here are some recent pics :)

DH and I at a wedding late last year

299476_526847147331017_1347242595_n.jpg

DS at his first birthday party last week

859952_606087476073650_553709891_o.jpg

Here's my DSis and I at another wedding last year

481118_502450676437331_269097617_n.jpg

And here's my parents in 2010 at Seaworld

25712_109325689083167_6408292_n.jpg

So I have a couple of things done from our 'To Do' List but here's the way it stands as of today

ESTAs for the group
Online check in
Photocopy Passports
Buy insurance
Print tickets, car vouchers, villa vouchers and anything else holiday related
Buy park tickets
Print itinerary and ADR info
Book dog kennels
Get Sam's vaccinations and kennel cough up to date
Buy new glasses and contacts for DH and I
Buy dollars (although we have some bought we'll continue to buy as we have the money)
Pack!
Make a 'travel pack' for DS to keep him entertained (suggestions welcome;))

If there's anything that you reckon is missing from my checklist please let me know :goodvibes

Yay you have started how exciting.

Will is just so cute I wish disers all lived close Elsie would love to play with him.

Love that you have a big family trip booked. Getting some dates night in sounds good too x

tinks_1989 said:
Yay you have started how exciting.

Will is just so cute I wish disers all lived close Elsie would love to play with him.

Love that you have a big family trip booked. Getting some dates night in sounds good too x

Thanks a mill :) It would be wonderful if we lived closer, Elsie and Will could be great friends :) She's such a cutie!!
Date nights will be very welcome at that stage! I'm so excited about having DH to myself for an entire evening :goodvibes I'm starting to get nervous now, I think once we get to the 50 days mark on our countdown it'll feel very real!!

Wills Mom said:
Thanks a mill :) It would be wonderful if we lived closer, Elsie and Will could be great friends :) She's such a cutie!!
Date nights will be very welcome at that stage! I'm so excited about having DH to myself for an entire evening :goodvibes I'm starting to get nervous now, I think once we get to the 50 days mark on our countdown it'll feel very real!!

I remember saying at 100 days it will be here before we know it then 50 days came and we were half way now we have been home 20 days :(

Great start, it'll be magical taking your son on his first trip! We fly out a week after you so reading this makes me excited and your to do list has reminded me of things we still need to do :)

Hey, I'm joining in. Your plans are all looking good so far. We fly out on 6th May and we are also travelling with my parents and my brother. DS will be 2 and DD turns 4 whilst we are there. At least we have only two months to go!!
Hopefully following your PTR will remind me to get things done!

Your plans sound great! Your sons first trip will be Magical! We took my daughter when she was just a little older (16months) and it was so much fun. She had a great time just taking everything in. She really loved some of the rides too - the grand fiesta tour in Mexico was a firm favourite :)

Extended family trips are great when everyone has their own space. We got Married in WDW and had 30+ people with us. Planning was crazy but we loved every minute of it.

We are currently planning our DS's first trip too :)

tinks_1989 said:
I remember saying at 100 days it will be here before we know it then 50 days came and we were half way now we have been home 20 days :(

I was the same at the 100 day mark! Kinda felt like we were hitting a big milestone lol. Now its almost 50 days and I wonder where did the last 50 days go!!

MrsTigger said:
Great start, it'll be magical taking your son on his first trip! We fly out a week after you so reading this makes me excited and your to do list has reminded me of things we still need to do :)

Lol glad to be of help! Nice to see other Disers heading to WDW in May! :)

pascalstongue said:
Hey, I'm joining in. Your plans are all looking good so far. We fly out on 6th May and we are also travelling with my parents and my brother. DS will be 2 and DD turns 4 whilst we are there. At least we have only two months to go!!
Hopefully following your PTR will remind me to get things done!

Thanks for joining in :goodvibes Can't believe we've just got 2 months to go! Your kids will be at such a nice age for WDW and nice to have your parents and brother along for an extra helping hand :)

Laurafoster said:
Your plans sound great! Your sons first trip will be Magical! We took my daughter when she was just a little older (16months) and it was so much fun. She had a great time just taking everything in. She really loved some of the rides too - the grand fiesta tour in Mexico was a firm favourite :)

Extended family trips are great when everyone has their own space. We got Married in WDW and had 30+ people with us. Planning was crazy but we loved every minute of it.

We are currently planning our DS's first trip too :)

Thanks for the encouraging words. I've had a few people tell me I'm mad for bringing a small toddler to WDW and after a while you tend to doubt yourself lol.
Getting married in WDW must've been amazing :goodvibes We were booked to get married in WDW in May 2011 however my sister in law developed a heart condition so she couldnt fly. It wouldnt have been the same for DH if she hadn't been there so we changed our plans. Would have loved the dream WDW wedding though :)
I saw your PTR for Charlies first trip :) You won't feel it coming around! And it'll be nice for your DD to go back at a bigger age :)

Today I booked Wills first haircut at Harmony Barbershop!! :) May 7th at 10.30am! Can't wait :)
I've also decided to book the first haircut for my cousins little boy as a surprise from DH and I. They would like that. I know its not his first haircut but they will like the gesture.

We have a Chef Mickey ADR for 11 pax on our trip. This ADR was made before my sisters OH knew if he could get the time off work to come so I didnt count him into the ADR however he has gotten the time off so I asked the rep if we could add another adult to the ADR and she said theres zero availability :( Now I dunno what to do! The meal is moreso for the kids than anything else as they both love Mickey. DS loves Donald too and my cousins child loves Minnie so CM was the only place that ticked the boxes. I've checked online for other ADR times but got nothing. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes between now and then :( Hate not kbowing though!!

Also bought DS a new buggy today, the Baby Jogger City Mini. DS prefers to walk these days but obviously at WDW he wont be able for all that walking so I wanted to get a stroller thats suitable for DS for trips away but also thats suitable for our next child as we want to have our kids close together (if I get my way I'd love 5 or 6 but DH wants a max of 3 lol) I think the City Mini ticks all the boxes for us :)

Also booked a skycot for DS - posted on the main board with a query there. Wondering now if its a good idea!
Feels like it was a productive day! Now off to sleep. Happy Mothers Day to all the Mums on the Dis :goodvibes

We had DDs first haircut at the barbers too. She loved it, they were so good with her :)

Regarding Chef Mickey I really wouldn't worry about it too much. I would obviously try and change the ADR but if you can't I would leave it as is and go to the restaurant and explain the situation to the host/hostess. We have done this before and they have always been able to accommodate us. May just be a bit more if a wait so get there early :)

I love the city mini, we will be getting one in a few months :)

Skycots are a tricky one. So depending on the config of the plane there is one or two skycots at each bulkhead seat. If there are several infants on the flight then your family will not be next to you. However on the one occasion we did have one my family were sat in the rows directly behind us. Of course it's possible that you'll be separated but I imagine they will try not to.

It all depends on your DS as to whether a skycot is worth keeping. We had one trip with it when DD was 5months and personally didn't get on with it. The seats we had were one of the fours behind the toilets. The seats are slightly narrower as you have the TV/tray In the arm rest. But you do have considerable more legroom.

When the skycot was pulled down we were literally confined to our seats as we couldn't get out. My DD hated the skycot as it sloped slightly and her feet kept bashing on the ends of the straps used to secure it. However I think they have changed the design since.

We didn't bother with them on other trips for 2 reasons 1. We preferred to be more certain of being with our family. 2. We discovered that It was easier for us to get DD off to sleep on our laps (she woke up when we put her in the cot).

I'm sure whatever you decide will be fine. :)

Laurafoster said:
We had DDs first haircut at the barbers too. She loved it, they were so good with her :)

Regarding Chef Mickey I really wouldn't worry about it too much. I would obviously try and change the ADR but if you can't I would leave it as is and go to the restaurant and explain the situation to the host/hostess. We have done this before and they have always been able to accommodate us. May just be a bit more if a wait so get there early :)

I love the city mini, we will be getting one in a few months :)

Skycots are a tricky one. So depending on the config of the plane there is one or two skycots at each bulkhead seat. If there are several infants on the flight then your family will not be next to you. However on the one occasion we did have one my family were sat in the rows directly behind us. Of course it's possible that you'll be separated but I imagine they will try not to.

It all depends on your DS as to whether a skycot is worth keeping. We had one trip with it when DD was 5months and personally didn't get on with it. The seats we had were one of the fours behind the toilets. The seats are slightly narrower as you have the TV/tray In the arm rest. But you do have considerable more legroom.

When the skycot was pulled down we were literally confined to our seats as we couldn't get out. My DD hated the skycot as it sloped slightly and her feet kept bashing on the ends of the straps used to secure it. However I think they have changed the design since.

We didn't bother with them on other trips for 2 reasons 1. We preferred to be more certain of being with our family. 2. We discovered that It was easier for us to get DD off to sleep on our laps (she woke up when we put her in the cot).

I'm sure whatever you decide will be fine. :)

Thanks a million for the advice :) Much appreciated! I ended up ringing VA back and cancelling the Skycot request so at least we'll definitely be together. The thought of being alone with DS on a 9 hr flight with no help was enough to make me feel a little ill lol.

We booked my cousins child into the Barbershop for the same day as DS so both boys will get it done together :) Be a nice surprise for my cousin and his son!
While I was making the appt for the barbershop I asked about CM again and they're still full to capacity even if they changed the time so I'll do what you advised and just see what happens on the day! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter