My First & Fastest Solo Trip! - Labor Day Weekend w/ Remy's Ratatouille Preview *New 9/26*

Newsies

Headlines don't sell papes.
Hey hey friends! Just flew back in to EWR from MCO. I made the last minute decision to visit WDW for a short little solo trip over the holiday weekend, as my family had points that were about to expire and I had the opportunity to attend a DVC preview of Remy's Ratatouille Adventure, which was so much fun! I was there from 09/03-09/06.

Friday 09/03: I had a 6:00 AM flight from Newark Liberty Airport on Friday, 09/03. I got to the airport at 4:00 and it was pretty busy. It took me 45 minutes to get through to my gate, so I'm glad I got there early. I flew into MCO on JetBlue. I love JetBlue for flying into Orlando! I've flown between NJ and Orlando with JetBlue and American Airlines before and I definitely recommend JetBlue over American. It's just a more pleasant overall experience with JetBlue-- seats have more legroom, rates were better, and the boarding process went smoother. We ended up grounded for 45 minutes on the flight to Orlando (they were waiting on the fueler, they were understaffed that morning), but we still somehow got to MCO on time! It was a very pleasant flight-- I was too excited to sleep, but I watched Coco (and part of Scoob), and had a cup of coffee.

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYM8Pe8ByXfFjZ-L2Ri2LX5RUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg

This was my first time flying since COVID-19 started and I didn't feel unsafe on either flight.

Magical Express came promptly!

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYNyjI6DRKxxxtd3IjFJ7x2s5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYM2LvO-i4nkwIN7zMH5Nq5yldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow

My home-away-from home this trip was Old Key West, where I stayed at a Deluxe Studio (building 18, right by the Miller's Road bus stop). This was my first time at OKW and I probably will not be back. I liked that it was a quiet resort, but it is FAR too big and I hated having to rely on a a bus to get me to and from the only dining/shopping options at the resort. My Studio was fine-- the bed was the BEST BED I have ever slept on in Disney property! So comfy, I slept like a baby every night!

I dropped my bags off with bell services and got on a bus to Disney Springs. I was starving, so my first stop of the day was Everglazed.

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYOLpGE8nkUmAYASLMpCFHD7V7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYPGlb67Dew4A4bc5ftaDV685cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

Cinnamon Toast Crunch donut with a Salted Caramel cold brew... this donut was SO! DARN! GOOD! I am dreaming about that luscious cream cheese icing in the center of this donut. This got inhaled after a looooong morning with no food (except for a bag of pretzels at the airport). The cold brew was fine-- I prefer a nice iced latte to cold brew, but I was just happy to have deliciously sweet caffeine running through my system to alleviate a headache that was coming on from a lack of sleep.

From there, I walked around Springs a little bit-- did some window shopping, tried a ganache square for the first time (it was good), bought some small souvenirs for the family at World of Disney. Noon came around and Disney texted me that my room still wasn't ready yet, and a storm was about to roll in, so I decided to see a movie at AMC Springs. I was the only person at the 12:20 showing of "Respect," which was cool because I've never had a movie theatre to myself before. That ended, and I went off to get a drink and some lunch.

I got two alcoholic beverages this trip, one of them being the Sweet Tea Shine from the Homecomin' bar:

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYPKBxN80a6vIxQAKRmjjhWwqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

A) How cute is this squeeze bottle? B) This was incredible, one of my favorite alcoholic drinks on property! A sweet tea with moonshine. Super yummy and refreshing on a hot afternoon.

For lunch, I went to the Morimoto walk-up window and got an order of the spare ribs. They were very good!

Disney had texted me that my room was ready by that point, so I made one last stop before I headed back... Gideon's had no virtual queue and the line was only 10 minutes long! Gideon's Bake Shop is the one place I have to stop at every time I visit Springs. I inhale the incredible aroma of the store, I tell every CM that I love them, I get something sweet to save for dessert at my room later. I got a slice of Peanut Butter & Banana Cake this time.

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYOiye1EZ6Yu3TWrLqjq8I70VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

Back in July, I had the Red Velvet cake and deemed it my favorite dessert on property. This Peanut Butter & Banana cake has trumped the Gideon's Red Velvet. Friends, if this cake is available while you're at Springs... YOU MUST have a slice. It is so delicious it is stupid. It should be outlawed. The thick peanut butter and banana icing was the best thing I have ever eaten in my life, period.

Anyway, I got my cake, I went back to my room, and took a FAT nap. I slept for about two hours on that glorious bed before it was time for me to get ready for dinner. My best friend, Jess, is currently on her DCP and we had a dinner reservation at Olivia's! This was my first time at Olivia's after having heard many good things about it.

Jess and I both got the Southernmost Buttermilk Chicken.

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYMSebu3XCjjZfJckMraIIhcUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg

This was good. It didn't have the delicious thick, crunchy breading of Homecomin's fried chicken, BUT it was far better than the frozen, grocery-store quality fried chicken of other restaurants at Walt Disney World. I give it a 6/10.

Jess and I went back to my studio to watch TV and catch up for a little while, then she went home and I got a good night of sleep.

I wanted to do this post all in one shot, but now that I'm done with update #1, I fear that the post would be obnoxiously long if I did all three days at once, so I'll update with days two, three, and flying home soon!

Following!

Great to see you, thank you so much for checking in!

Following and I can't wait for the next posts. I always love your trip reports!

Thank you for checking in and for the kind words!

Joining in! I love a good solo trip! :)

Thank you for joining in! I had a blast-- hope to do more solo trips soon!

Looking forward to hearing more about your solo trip.

Thank you for joining along!

Following!

Thanks so much!

OMG that chicken dinner looks delicious!!!!!

It was GOOD... a great first dinner at WDW!!!

Following! Those deserts look amazing.

Thanks for joining in! They were awesome!!

That cake looks awesome. Can’t wait to hear about the rest of your weekend.

It was one of the best desserts I've ever had in my life!! Will update soon!

Joining in and enjoying reading about the food so far!!

That donut looks fantastic!!

YUM!! I love anything peanut butter so definitely on the list to try next time!

Thank you kindly for being here-- everything I ate was awesome and more food pics coming up soon!

I'm here!! So excited to hear about your spontaneous trip -- all that food sounds so so yummy!

AHHH hi bestie!!! Can't wait to update you, thank you for being here as always!!!

Following along! You are making me VERY hungry!!

Thank you kindly for joining in! More food pics coming up soon!

Following! Can’t wait to hear about the rest!

Thank you very much!!

Saturday 09/04: This was my Animal Kingdom/Magic Kingdom day with my best friend Jess. We had a blast together! She graciously offered to be the driver today, so she picked me up at OKW Hospitality House at around 10:30 AM and we headed over to DAK for our first park of the day.

We were both slightly hungry since neither of us had breakfast that morning, so on our way over to our first ride of the day, we stopped at Harambe Fruit Market to get corn on the cob.

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYMeD2rQLJCZUQlvUsac-fdmVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

I thought this was great! Super flavorful with lots of butter and the spice mixture is to-die-for. It was a good little pick-me-up before we headed on our first ride of the day, which was Kilimanjaro Safari. I love KS, it's the one ride I absolutely have to do every time I'm at DAK! Here's a giraffe for your enhanced TR experience:

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYPWonKLAOKZ1qY6Ixlwnjan5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

We waited a good time in line, and it's a long ride, so we were definitely ready for lunch when we got off. We thought about getting on Expedition Everest, but Jess' back hurt, so we decided we would just get some lunch at Yak & Yeti. She got fried rice and I got the sweet and sour shrimp.

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYNT0W280lI2ih4NZH3XooaWVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

Absolutely delicious. HUGE portion for the price, loved the batter on the shrimp and the sweet and sour sauce was great. With buttery rice to boot! Very pleasant lunch, especially on a mostly empty stomach.

We went to Dinoland USA after that. We played some games together (we did the water gun race game and the game that's like a dinosaur race). Neither of us won, but the point was that we had fun and shared some hilarious, competitive banter together. #makingmemories.

We went on TriceraTop Spin after that, which I'm pretty sure was my first time ever on TTS. I remember that the song "Happy" by Pharell was playing while we were on the ride, and for some reason, Jess and I thought that was hilarious, so we were cracking up and singing "Happy" the entire time.

We had a look around Chester & Hester's Dino Institute, and I ended up getting a Headless Horseman wishable and a grab bag of little figurines.

After that, we got drinks at the Restaurantasourus Lounge. I sadly don't have pictures, but I got the Ferminted Fossil, which was essentially just a minty mojito-- it was good, but I wouldn't go crazy for it.

That was the end of our time at DAK for the day, because we had a reservation to do ice cream at Beaches & Cream. We left DAK and drove over to the Beach Club. It was so darn hot that I PROMPTLY fell asleep in her car and ended up taking a micronap. 10 minutes later we were at Beach, where we walked around the lobby and said hi to Jess' roommate, who was working at the Beach Club gift shop.

We checked in for our reservation at Beaches & Cream and we were met with some very lovely, friendly CMs. We shared a plate of fries and a plate of onion rings to start things off, then we each got our own ice cream treats. I got a brownie sundae and asked to add peanut butter topping because hey! it's vacation!

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYPQlDpnwjNTkcNokee9uHzHrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

It was absolutely incredible. I have no idea how Disney managed to perfect the brownie sundae. The luscious, fudgy brownie. The vanilla bean ice cream. The hot fudge. This was an incredible dessert ALTHOUGH I must say... the plaza brownie sundae gives it a run for its money!!!

We paid our bill and headed off to Magic Kingdom for the night. I was thrilled to see the 50th anniversary decorations!

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYO38S6FpwctrycrScmDlzHUaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA
00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYMC0DNpe1wHQIIPGHS6cf11rnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

We said hi to a few random characters on cavalcade, then we had a pretty chill evening. We went on Peoplemover, Mine Train, Haunted Mansion, Country Bear Jamboree, and Pirates of the Caribbean, then we went back home for the evening and said our goodbyes!

Overall, it was a pretty great day-- lots of running around but a ton of fun with my best friend!

This sounds like my kind of vacation - laid back, no rushing and lots of good food! Can't wait to hear the rest!

AH! TWO reports to read! Yay!!

I also did a whirlwind weekend solo trip in September - and it was aMAZing. So excited to see how the rest of your weekend went :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter