My First Dining Review (4/29 - 5/4)

followme2disney

Mouseketeer
My First Dining Review (4/29 - 5/4):

Well it has been a month since we returned and I have finally gotten this dining review started. We had a 5 night stay at BWV, April 29th – May 4. This is my first ever dining review, or any type of review for that matter. However, I am a big fan of the DIS, the Restaurant Board, and particularly the Dining Reviews.

Let me preface by saying that I have been on a diet since July 2006. I have lost 52 pounds to date (WOO HOO!) :woohoo: . So since I refuse to diet on vacation, I often dream about all the tasty things that I will be able to eat while at Disney. I think it is what gets me through and keeps me true to my diet most the other days of the year.

We were using the DDE discount. We always go to Cape May Clambake and Ohana for dinner. We had three more nights to schedule ADRs so we each decided to choose a TS. I chose Boma for dinner, we also chose Rose and Crown (each of these are first times for us) and to go to Cape May a second time because we love it.
Restaurants to be reviewed:

Kringla Bakery
Cape May Clambake
Tusker House
Ohana
Boardwalk Bakery
Rose and Crown
Sunshine Seasons
Boma
Boardwalk Bakery (#2)
Cape May Clambake (#2)

Well, I may as well get to the report.

Day 1: Kringla Bakery and Cape May Clambake

Lunch: Kringla Bakery: I split an open faced ham sandwich and School Bread with my sis. Mind you, I only split food when I am trying to save room for an early dinner. I have no problem handling a full meal. There were two surprises to this meal. The first was how much I did not like the sandwich. The bread was dry and the ham seemed slightly frozen and watery. The second surprise was how much I did like the School Bread. Generally, I am disappointed once I try something that so many have raved about. Sometimes I think my taste buds must work differently then most other people on these boards. But the School Bread was very good and I am not really even a fan of coconut. However, I probably would only stop back at Kringla to try another dessert, so many things looked delicious.

I rate this experience a 2 of 5 for CS. The line was long and very slow, food was mediocre (neither the sandwich nor the School Bread made it on my must have Disney food list) and I am not a fan of outdoor seating even when undercover.

Dinner: Cape May Clambake: YUM!!! I have been to this restaurant probably ten times and I love it. I am disappointed that the shrimp are now cold instead of freshly steamed, but what can you do? The ribs and mac and cheese were particularly good this evening, as was the clam chowder. I had a little of everything, but I was full before I got to the carving station, and I had to save a little (a lot) of room for the yummy desserts. My favorite desserts are the mini-cheesecake, mini-key lime tart, and the strawberry mousse.

I rate this experience a 4 of 5 for TS. The food was delicious, the atmosphere calm and comfortable, and the service was good.

More to come...

Great start! We are also huge fans of Cape May, glad that you enjoyed it!

Good reviews so far! Do you mind if I ask how you lost the weight? That's awesome, you should be very proud of yourself! :thumbsup2

Congratulations on the weight loss! That's quite an accomplishment! And, thanks for sharing your reviews. We like Cape May, too, probably because we love the Beach Club so much and eating at Cape May is like coming home.

Congrats on the weight loss ~ Looking forward to reading more:goodvibes

Thanks everyone for the responses and the encouragement on the weight loss. I have been able to lose the weight by unofficially using weight watchers. I was a member several years ago and still had the material to calculate points. I have not been obsessive about it because my goal is to lose weight slowly. I still have quite a ways to go, as I was over 100 pounds overweight. Also, I walk about 3 miles 3 times a week. This has helped tremendously in walking around WDW.

As for the comments on Cape May, I also think that part of my love for this restaurant comes from my love for the Beach Club. That, and I am learning that I think I may prefer American style food.

Well, on with the show...

Day 2: Tusker House and Ohana

Lunch: Tusker House: OMG! I could not believe how good this was. My sis and I split the half chicken dinner and also shared a chocolate cake. Every bite was delicious. I could have licked the plate clean. I was still a little hungry when I finished. Luckily, that left room for me to stop and get a treat from the BW Bakery on the way back to the room. I will say at Tusker House that I was disappointed with the chocolate cake. It was a wee little cake in a round plastic container. I thought based on previous reviews that we would be getting a slice of cake. Oh well. The chocolate was fudgy, rich and tasty.

This experience was a 5 of 5 for CS. The food was delicious and the seating was cool and ample, the place was not crowded at all.

At the BW Bakery I got the Banana Split Cake. This was probably the best thing I had to eat on my whole trip. (I had a second later in the week that was just as good).

Dinner: Ohana: Always a favorite. Everything was delicious. My favorites are always the salad, sticky wings, bread pudding and potatoes. I was surprised this trip because it took them a long time to bring out meat to the table after we received everything else. I usually like to hold off on eating the veggies until the entrée is delivered but this time I had to go ahead and eat the veggies because they would have been cold otherwise. I know Cousin Cliff would have brought more if I requested but everything looked so delicious that I was too tempted to wait.

This experience was rated a 4 of 5. It would have gotten a 5 of 5 except for the slow delivery of the skewers. I love the atmosphere of the restaurant and actually the whole resort (The Poly is one of my two favorite resorts, the other being Beach Club).

Thank you for the reviews. I also love School Bread!!! I describe it as coconut custard pie in a donut...but better!!! :love:

Congratulations on the weight loss...:thumbsup2

I also loved tusker house and Ohana. My two favorite of my trip!! So good. Those scalloped potatoes omg!!!

Wow, thanks for all the positive responses. I am disappointed that Tusker House will no longer be a CS option since it was soooo good, but I will look forward to trying it as a new buffet. Hopefully it will be some of the same food. Also, does anyone know where to get the recipe for the potatoes or the Bread Pudding from Ohana? :)

Thanks again, and on to Day 3:

Day 3: Boardwalk Bakery and Rose and Crown

Lunch: Boardwalk Bakery: I had the turkey and provolone sandwich and chips. My sis had the chicken Caesar salad and mom had the fruit plate. My sister said her salad was not good and she would not get it again. My mom enjoyed her fruit plate and had another later in the week. My sandwich was very tasty, I would definitely get this again. However, it was too much for lunch considering I should have been saving room for Rose and Crown that evening. We carried our food back to the room and ate there.

This experience is rated a 4 of 5 for CS. It probably should have been a 3 of 5 because, the line took entirely too long to get through considering there were not that many people in front of me, they have no indoor seating available and some of the food was not good; but I gave it a 4 because my sandwich was yummy!.

Dinner: Rose and Crown: I was surprisingly pleased. We requested to be seated inside because I don’t like sitting outside to eat and were told they would not guarantee preferences when we checked in. Two minutes later we were seated outside directly next to World Showcase. It was a shame it was not time for Illuminations. The waiter double checked with us when he came to take out drink order to make sure outside was alright. I agreed that it would be okay, number one because unless under extreme circumstances I am not an out loud complainer, and number two because the view was nice, the weather was perfect, we were in the shade and there was a nice light breeze. The menu was different than what we had planned with. There was no chicken pastry or cottage pie on the menu. My mother ordered the “tea time” chicken which was chicken with creamed leeks. I tasted it and it was fabulous. She loved it. My sister ordered the Bangers and Mash. It was good, but grew old after the first few bites according to my sis. She said she would not get this again. I ordered the steak and fish. I would definitely get this again. Everything was tasty. For dessert I had the sticky toffee pudding. It was pretty good. I would not need to order it again and I wished it had more cream sauce. My mother ordered the apple crumble with ice cream and she was in heaven.

Overall this was rated a 5 of 5. The food and atmosphere were surprisingly pleasant. I had low expectations coming into this place, but I will definitely go there again. It may even become a regular.

On the way back to the room we stopped at BW Bakery for another treat. I got the Tiramisu. I had never had Tiramisu at all before and I thought it was very good. Of course I had nothing to compare it to. My mom had the apple streusel (cake or pie???) which she ended up eating the next day. She said that it was yummy and that she would get it again but that it was not as good as her apple crumble from Rose and Crown or the Banana Split Cake which she had tasted earlier in the week.

Day 4: Sunshine Seasons and Boma

Lunch: Sunshine Seasons: I had the Half Moon Combo (?) California Roll and the Strawberry Shortcake. My sister also had California Roll and ate some of my dessert. I would get both of these items again.

I rate this experience a 3 of 5 for CS. Nothing exceptional but the experience was quite nice.

Dinner: Boma: OMG, I was so disappointed. I did not like most of the seasonings on the food, too much Curry and coconut. I did like the seafood chowder, ribs and kool slai. I wasn’t even thrilled with the desserts, but the cherry cobbler was good. I was bummed because this was my pick and I was really looking forward to this meal. I did of course love the restaurant and the resort itself and the service was good. My sister really liked her dinner, but my mom agreed with me.

I rate this experience a 2 of 5 for TS. I would not go back to Boma for dinner (of course, I am a believer that everyplace should be given a second chance so we’ll see).

Day 5: Boardwalk Bakery (#2) and Cape May Clambake (#2)

Lunch: Boardwalk Bakery (#2): This time I split the ham and swiss sandwich and another Banana Split Cake with my sis. Mom had the fruit plate again. It is a very nice fruit plate. The sandwich was great and the Banana Split Cake is fabulous (it is now a must have item).

This experience is again rated a 4 of 5 for CS.

Dinner: Cape May Clambake (#2): We almost cancelled the ADR and tried to get in at another place but decided to keep it at the last minute. Mom stayed in the room and packed to go home. L Again it was delicious. I will be going back in September!!!

I rate this experience again a 4 of 5 for TS.

Well the report is done. I have another trip coming up in September. We are doing a split stay: AS Sports for 3 nights on free DDP and then 5 nights at OKW on the DDE. We have ADRs for Kona, Coral Reef, Spoodles, Cape May, Mama Melrose, Olivia’s, Nine Dragons, The Plaza, and Ohana. We also want to go to the Pepper Market and were planning on going back to Tusker House until I learned that will no longer be a CS. Who knows this could all change over the next three months. Planning and re-planning is half of the fun!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter