My day ALONE at Disney..day 1. yes, I miss my kids

JUJU814

DIS Veteran
so here I am on my solo trip (business meeting tomorrow)

I flew down to Fla last night. Bumpiest plane ride of my life! Got here, Boardwalk Inn, late last night. What a beautiful resort!!! I love my room. Doesn't feel too "Disney'ish" so I didn't feel "guilty". As I sit here at the desk typing, I notice the cute Minnie Mouse lamp.

I slept till 9:30 this morning. Got room service for breakfast. Got ready, walked outside into the nice Florida sunshine and stepped foot onto the Boardwalk for the first time ever. I LOVE it!!! There was quiet music playing, people just sitting and relaxing. It was great.

I walked over to Epcot and decided then and there I was in mama heaven. I poked around in shops. I bought some cute presents for my kids. They were pretty cool I must add, and the REASON I was able to get some cool presents for my kids is because I had the TIME to poke around and thoughtfully choose them. Went to England, France and Canada. When I walked out of the film, there was Le Cellier. I decided "hmmm, I would love to have lunch there". So I did! Walked right in and got seated. Had a nice lunch and glass of wine, then proceeded on my trip around the world.

My best friend called me "hi, what country are you in now?" "oh, Mexico" LOL

Got back to my resort, took a NAP..unheard of! got up, showered and went and met an old girlfriend from highschool. Haven't seen her in 20 years. I had the BEST TIME!!! It was like no time had lapsed...we ate at Kouzzina and put down 4 or 5 sangrias each.

I said good bye and stumbled back to my hotel room..LOL just kidding (sort of)

I miss my kids something terrible and have called them and will see them Sunday. I don't feel bad one bit going to Epcot. I have decided for absolute sure that I don't think I could step food in the Magic Kingdom without at least my little 6 year old girl. She would love that. My boy really isn't a big disney lover. He prefers a swimming pool.

Not sure what to do tomorrow before and after my meeting. I will definitely have breakfast at Kouzzina..looks delicous!!! I think I'll go to the Illuminations tomorrow night. Rest of the day is up in the air.

It's funny how you can feel so burnt out at home and only dream of a getaway all alone, but then you get away, and all you can think of is your kids. This trip is doing me good, but I sure can't wait to give them a HUGE hug!!!

Sounds like you're having fun..................but I would miss my kids also. As moms when we get "us" time we usually feel guilty. That always happens to me. Enjoy yourself--Sunday is already tomorrow so you shouldn't feel too bad!

I am so jealous! I would love to have time to poke around in all the shops and actually see all the details put into the building and themeing of the parks and resorts. Have fun and enjoy every minute of it. You'll be home tomorrow!

Well, yesterday was day 2 full day.

I slept in a bit, got up, dressed and went to Kouzzina for breakfast. It was to die for!!! I didn't feel funny eating alone at breakfast.

I took the boat from the Boardwalk to Hollywood Studios and spent some time there doing things the kids wouldn't have wanted to do. I felt a little sad when the High School Musical thing was coming down the street with all the dancers and singers because my little girl would have liked that..even though she has no idea what High School Musical is. LOL

Went back to my hotel. Nap.

Got up, showered and ready. Had a GREAT 3 hour business meeting. Got a lot accomplished and got to drink another of their great Sangria's. LOL

I then went to Kouzzina again for dinner.this time alone. I felt awkward being by myself at dinner. It was delicious. It just was strange at night being all alone. I walked around the Boardwalk and watched the performers...very funny. Got some souvenirs for the kids.

I got back to my room about 10ish and spent a little time on the computer. Just loved that Minnie Mouse lamp on my desk!!! LOL Slept in this morning till about 9. Got room service for breakfast.

I had a late check out..1pm. I was going to go over to Downtown Disney as my flight wasn't till 4pm.

HOWEVER, I called home and was soooo homesick. When it hit me I wouldn't see the kids before bed, I went online and switched my flight to get home earlier.

I'm glad I didn't do a $200+ Kingdom Tour as I spent $200 to change my flight! Crazy? Perhaps.

It was 11:10am. My new flight was at 12:40pm I THREW all of my stuff into my suitcase...practically ran to the front of the hotel, hopped in a cab.

I got to the airport and the check in line was astronomically long. I slipped a skycab $20 to get me checked in so I could get through security and to my gate to make my flight. He did!!! I felt kind of guilty, but well, all I said to the guy was "which is quicker, inside or outside? my flight is in 40 min" and he took care of me. ;)

I got to my gate with 10 minutes to spare. I paid an extra $20 for Southwest business class so I had A2 position. How crazy???

Got home 4 hours before I had planned on it and I'm really glad I did. I learned a lesson. Next time I do this, I will not book a late flight home. I know that departure day, I will want to get home to be with the family.

So all in all, would I do it again? YES
Did I miss them so bad that I practically cried when I saw them? YES
Do I regret it? HECK NO
Am I ready to go back WITH them? HELL YEAH!!!
Will I ever go again in August? (last two family trips) NOT AFTER GOING IN JANUARY WHEN IT'S COOL AND COMFORTABLE

Maybe it's my imagination, but in August, I just remember seeing sooooo many cranky parents, kids etc. It just seemed like a lot of unhappy people at the "happiest place on earth". This weekend, again, could be skewed perception, but all I noticed were picture perfect families with picture perfect kids having a picture perfect Disney vacation...probably because I was all alone?

Thanks for letting me share about my getaway!!

Awww, sounds wonderful. I would have been in heaven just to be alone for a short bit of time. But like you, I would have missed my girlies something fierce! And I totally get the guilt and homesickness! Still, I'm sure it was worth it. Just the thought of sleeping in, leisurely poking around, and NAPPING makes green with envy! ;)

I think you're into something with the January comment. We were there a few years ago in January, and it really was just lovely. Sure, we had to pack for everything from 40s-80s, but it still beat the cold in Boston!

Glad you made it home safe and sound. Did the kids love their souevenirs?

Sounds like all in all it was a great lil vacation, and you magnified your relationship even more for the kiddies which we all need sometimes, Glad to hear it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter