My California Grill experience

jabrown40

Mouseketeer
I have mixed feelings about our dinner last night at California Grill, but thought I'd give a review for those wondering about the new prix fixe menu. We arrived at 5:30, and requested a table in the Mary Blair room that overlooks Bay Lake. This is a preferred area for us, it's a little quieter and overlooks the lake. If you are here on vacation however, you may prefer the area that overlooks the castle. Be warned that at this time of day, the sun is setting, and they close the shades until sunset, so your views may be affected. It's also loud, so I not necessarily a romantic dinner! Our server Simo was top notch, and brought us warm chunks of an herbed soft bread, softened butter, and a tomato olive oil spread. We both preferred the bread with the butter. We don't drink alcohol, so I can't address cocktails or wine. For our appetizers, we chose the short rib wontons and duck al orange flatbread. My son enjoyed the flatbread, but tasted mostly the fig jam and bleu cheese. The duck was like a prosciutto texture, I don't like bleu cheese, so I really didn't care for it, The wontons were good, but kind of like port roast in a wonton, I think they needed something more, but stilll the meat was tender. My son ordered the filet, and this is where the first hiccouph occurred. The filet is served with cauliflower and basically boiled small potatoes. He asked if he could have an order of the gouda Mac and cheese served with the upcharged Tomahawk steak, and was told no. No substitutions. Except they offered to give him carrots instead of cauliflower. We both understand the concept of prix fixe dining, but this seemed a bit unreasonable, so we ended up talking to one of the managers about it. He said they only have one macaroni dish per tomahawk steak, so they can't substitute during the transition to their new menu. So if you don't like part of the entree, you're kind of stuck with it. That being said his steak was cooked perfectly and seasoned well. It had a dollop of sauce on it, that added to the enjoyment of the steak, I had the pork tenderloin dish on polenta, and it was absolutely delicious. Be warned that if you don't like your pork medium rare, you need to let your server know, because it is definitely pink inside, I prefer it this way so I was happy, It was juicy, no dryness, and I loved the figs and polenta. Dessert was a fail for us, We both ordered the Grand Marnier soufflé for dessert, which took a super long tine to come out, even though we told our server at the beginning of our order to allow time for baking. I love dessert, but didn't even bother to finish it. We both thought it was a little dry, flat tasting - no orange flavor noted. they serve it with a little tiny amount of ice cream that I put into the center of the soufflé to provide the "cream anglaise " as it melted.
So would we return? Not any time soon. Our total bill was 230.00 with tip and the annual pass holder discount, and remember, no alcohol. My son always gets steak when we eat out. Literally always. Not being able to choose better sides is a downer for him, He joked later that he would have been happier with fries off of a kids menu, If I went back, I'd probably try the lobster bisque. We really miss the goat cheese ravioli that used to be on the menu. Their sushi is good, but we can get that elsewhere locally or we prefer Morimoto. For dessert, I wish I would have tried the chocolate offering, Vloggers have enjoyed that as well. We both agreed that we have enjoyed our meals at Boathouse, Shulas's and Narcoosee's more, for that kind of cost. We haven't tried Citricos yet, hoping to do so soon. If you are heading to MK after dinner, this took us a full two hours. We were walking over to view Enchantment at 8, so we had our server run our bill as soon as he brought the dessert, and I didn't even give him time to bring us the check. Just gave him the credit card to charge the meal. Thankfully the bill was correct!
"

Thank you for the review. I had originally planned to go to CG for dinner on my April trip with just me and my DH. We had looked at the menu and really were most interested in the ravioli, wonton, and flatbreads. We were planning on doing an early dinner of apps and dessert but now that it's prix fixe, the ravioli is gone and the only flatbread is duck, we're unfortunately going to pass....too much money for food that's not usually our preference. I think we're going to do Steakhouse 71 instead, definitely more our speed and the price point is way better.

Thanks for the review. We are going to CG on Monday night for our first night. We will stay away from the soufflé

He asked if he could have an order of the gouda Mac and cheese served with the upcharged Tomahawk steak, and was told no. No substitutions.

Thanks for your review. This is something that concerned me with the prix fixe menu at CG. In a restaurant of this calibre and price the chef should be able to substitute. Your son wasn't asking for something they didn't have. I love CG but I was disappointed at the pared down menu, no goat cheese raviolli, no sea scallops. This prix fixe thing just turns it into a run of the mill overpriced restaurant. I'll be passing on CG until they (hopefully) return to their original menu.

Sounds like the mac and cheese is made and served in a separate casserole dish so I get it but am sorry it didn’t work out for your son. I would have ordered the soufflé instead of the chocolate dessert as well.
Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts.

Your experience was very similar to ours. It was a very long, meh, experience. OP, definitely try Citricos - IMHO, a much better, more interesting menu and a far, better meal than CG. We won't be back to CG any time soon.
The menu was specifically why we chose Citricos over CA grill for our upcoming trip. Glad to hear it may have been the right call

Last edited:
Sorry your meal didn't live up to you expectations.
I think Price Fixe menu's are the new thing in Disney a few restaurants have implemented them.
I think it is to deter people from going in and ordering a drink and appetizer and taking a table for a couple hours.

But I agree with you about that pork dish its so delicious.

Thank you for posting this. I have reservations at both CG and Citricos on the same night in a couple of weeks. I've been going back and forth because we've never been huge fans of CG but didn't want to miss an opportunity to try the special menu.

Sorry your meal didn't live up to you expectations.
I think Price Fixe menu's are the new thing in Disney a few restaurants have implemented them.
I think it is to deter people from going in and ordering a drink and appetizer and taking a table for a couple hours.

But I agree with you about that pork dish its so delicious.
My only issue with prix fixe is more self centered: limited menu means I better really like what is in every category when i look before booking or else I hesitate.

Even if the restaurant is a place I know is good like CG. Literally the only reason I picked Citricos over it next trip was the menu choices specifically appealing to me more.

It kinda throws in a wrinkle because of the difficulty of simple customization(not every prix fixe place is against simple changes though) as the op of the thread laid out. So I really gotta be sure beforehand that I will want to order something in each category.

My own personal taste and dietary habits tells me "no" for CG at the moment, unfortunately.

Thank you for your review, you really hit on a couple of questions I was hoping to get answered. I know you ask for the mac and cheese and that is what we hoped to do. Do you think they would be that hard line on subbing anything else since that is pared with the tomahawk? Also you said it took you two hours another concern for me. We are only there for one night and have a 5:10 res at CG. We also have tickets to the Christmas event which allows us into Magic Kingdom at 7:00pm and I was hoping to be there plenty early to get everything done to get in for that right at 7:00. While I hate to rush a meal at CG, do you think your server would work with you to get you out sooner. I want the soufflé as well, but if that is what is going to push me over on time I could definitely pass. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you for your review, you really hit on a couple of questions I was hoping to get answered. I know you ask for the mac and cheese and that is what we hoped to do. Do you think they would be that hard line on subbing anything else since that is pared with the tomahawk? Also you said it took you two hours another concern for me. We are only there for one night and have a 5:10 res at CG. We also have tickets to the Christmas event which allows us into Magic Kingdom at 7:00pm and I was hoping to be there plenty early to get everything done to get in for that right at 7:00. While I hate to rush a meal at CG, do you think your server would work with you to get you out sooner. I want the soufflé as well, but if that is what is going to push me over on time I could definitely pass. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Based on our experience, you will be pushing it to get out under 2 hours even without the soufflé. IMHO, CG isn't the best choice if you want to be at MK prior to 7 pm. When we dined at CG, it took about 20 minutes for our server to even, initially, come to our table.

We ate at CG last weekend. We were able to"Get In Line" and in the door about half an hour later - about 9:00 pm (We were staying at the contemporary). Personally the only thing I didn't like was my dessert. I did the 5 choices are whatever it was called). My husband had the filet. I asked the server for her recommendation and she said the Pork. She was right. I had the apple salad - and my whole meal could have been that and my husband had the lobster bisque. He wasn't really impressed with that. We ordered a bottle of wine to add to because we were celebrating my birthday. we were in and out in about 90 minutes. Our server and service was outstanding. Taking the grandson next time we go and not staying at the contemporary so I don't know when I will be back :)

We just ate at CG this past Monday. Our experience was great! Reservation was 6:05 and they took us in at 5:45. We were walked to the Monterey room when the host realized that we were not supposed to get a table in that room. Seeing how loud it was in the the main room and the blinds were down due to the sun, I asked to be seated in the Monterey room. After walking to the front desk, she made the changes for us. The Monterey room has only 5 tables. The views were of the lake in the back, beach, a dock and part of the Wilderness Lodge?

Our server (I believe his name was Ryan) was the best we had during our stay. Super friendly and knowledgeable. I think this is partly due to the fact that he was there since the first chef was there when the it was named, "The Top of the World." There were 4 of us...my two DDs were counted as adults even though the oldest is in high school. My DW had a couple blueberry martinis which she enjoyed. I almost ordered a glass of wine before I saw you could get a wine paring for $39 (3 oz pouring with each part of the meal). Appetizers we got were, the bisque, sushi trio, cascade roll and wontons. We are the type of family that usually tastes each others food. All were good with my wontons being the best dish to me. My wine pairing was a glass of Silver Oak Cab (which I was totally excited to get knowing the price per bottle).

Main course was oak fired beef, black grouper, mushroom ravioli and pork tenderloin. All tasted good and cooked perfectly with nothing left on the plate. My course which was the pork tenderloin and what the waiter recommended, was again the best dish to me. It was paired well with the Prisoner wine I was provided.

For deserts, we chose the magical bites, the torte and 2 soufflés. The magical bites are actually signature deserts that were created by chefs throughout the years since it opened as the Top of the World. Since our waiter was there from the first chef, he pointed to every bite on that plate and named the chef that created it. Our waiter actually let me chose one of the 3 wines that paired with our 3 different deserts. I chose Royal Tokaji which I thought matched with the magical bites the best.

All in all, this was our most expensive meal going over $500 with tip and drinks (no discounts for us). I thought it was our best meal and experience out of all the restaurants we went to. Other restaurants we went to on this trip include the Brown Derby, Chef de France, Via Napoli, Bluezoo and Morimotos. The waiter was able to get us out in time for the 8pm fireworks. Total service time about 2 hours. He recommended the closest observation deck to that room as the best view.

Perhaps the waiter made this experience totally worth it. He was so knowledgeable and took the time to converse with us. He entertained us with his knowledge of prior and current chefs...and was could answer questions we had on the views we could see from our table. Other servers we had almost seemed like a blank slate and were there just to bring food and get us on our way.

My rank of restaurants from best to worst on this trip:
California Grill
Bluezoo (tied for second)
Morimotos (tied for second)
Brown Derby
Via Napoli
Chef de France (the only restaurant I would not go to on another visit to DW)

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. We are going on Friday and hope we have a better experience. In the past, it has been one of our favorite restaurants.

We just ate at CG this past Monday. Our experience was great! Reservation was 6:05 and they took us in at 5:45. We were walked to the Monterey room when the host realized that we were not supposed to get a table in that room. Seeing how loud it was in the the main room and the blinds were down due to the sun, I asked to be seated in the Monterey room. After walking to the front desk, she made the changes for us. The Monterey room has only 5 tables. The views were of the lake in the back, beach, a dock and part of the Wilderness Lodge?

Our server (I believe his name was Ryan) was the best we had during our stay. Super friendly and knowledgeable. I think this is partly due to the fact that he was there since the first chef was there when the it was named, "The Top of the World." There were 4 of us...my two DDs were counted as adults even though the oldest is in high school. My DW had a couple blueberry martinis which she enjoyed. I almost ordered a glass of wine before I saw you could get a wine paring for $39 (3 oz pouring with each part of the meal). Appetizers we got were, the bisque, sushi trio, cascade roll and wontons. We are the type of family that usually tastes each others food. All were good with my wontons being the best dish to me. My wine pairing was a glass of Silver Oak Cab (which I was totally excited to get knowing the price per bottle).

Main course was oak fired beef, black grouper, mushroom ravioli and pork tenderloin. All tasted good and cooked perfectly with nothing left on the plate. My course which was the pork tenderloin and what the waiter recommended, was again the best dish to me. It was paired well with the Prisoner wine I was provided.

For deserts, we chose the magical bites, the torte and 2 soufflés. The magical bites are actually signature deserts that were created by chefs throughout the years since it opened as the Top of the World. Since our waiter was there from the first chef, he pointed to every bite on that plate and named the chef that created it. Our waiter actually let me chose one of the 3 wines that paired with our 3 different deserts. I chose Royal Tokaji which I thought matched with the magical bites the best.

All in all, this was our most expensive meal going over $500 with tip and drinks (no discounts for us). I thought it was our best meal and experience out of all the restaurants we went to. Other restaurants we went to on this trip include the Brown Derby, Chef de France, Via Napoli, Bluezoo and Morimotos. The waiter was able to get us out in time for the 8pm fireworks. Total service time about 2 hours. He recommended the closest observation deck to that room as the best view.

Perhaps the waiter made this experience totally worth it. He was so knowledgeable and took the time to converse with us. He entertained us with his knowledge of prior and current chefs...and was could answer questions we had on the views we could see from our table. Other servers we had almost seemed like a blank slate and were there just to bring food and get us on our way.

California Grill
Brown Derby
Via Napoli

Ahhh....paragraphs.....so much easier to read.

Ahhh....paragraphs.....so much easier to read.
First off, thank you to the OP for taking the time to post a review. Second, I'm guessing you didn't mean to come across as condescending but you did. A nicer way to say it and still get your point across would be "thanks for the lengthy and thoughtful review, next time it would be super helpful if there were paragraphs".

California Grill
Brown Derby
Via Napoli
Great review - thanks for sharing! I was hoping someone would mention about the wine pairing as that's something I'd be interested in. Sounds like it was worth the cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter