My brain hurts...two separate vacays and AP's

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by SharonEM, Sep 23, 2017.

1. SharonEM

SharonEM Earning My Ears

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question and for possibly being redundant, but as I get more info from this helpful forum, I keep thinking of new ones. :sad:

Here's the scenario: I have a 10 day WDW vacation planned for November. FP's were reserved at my 60 day mark. That's 10-day tickets and 10 days of FP's.

Now for why my brain hurts...I've decided to take a quick mini-vacay in two weeks. What I would like to do is upgrade my 10-day tickets to AP's. Days ago, I asked about how that would affect my future FP's and I was told they would stay put. But now I wonder...can I (or should I even) get rid of a few days worth of non-essential FP's (maybe 3 days) from my November trip so that I can book some for my mini-vacay?

1. Can I even do that?
    2. If I can't or shouldn't, can I book same-day FP's once I upgrade my tickets without affecting my future FP's?

Guuuuuyyyyyssss...I'm so confused. Please help! :guilty:

2. CAS239

CAS239 Disney Vet Squad ∞

For your trip in two weeks, are you staying on site?

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. CAS239

If you're staying on site then you can upgrade to an AP and then select FP's for your stay two weeks out

If you're staying off site then you can upgrade to an AP, but you won't be able to get any FP's for your trip two weeks out. No pre selected and no same day.

As an AP you can only have 7 days worth of FP's within a 30 day period. On site stays, while many of us think they shouldn't, they do count toward your 7 day allotment. So since you have 10 days, you'd have to cancel 4 of those days to make 1 day of FP's for your other trip.

However staying on site overrules the 7 day allotment and you can make as many FP days as you're on site with an AP

Lesley Wake and Babsy like this.
  5. SharonEM

SharonEM Earning My Ears

Ok. That's some very helpful info. Thank you! I'll be off-site for my stay that is two weeks out. As I understand it, I can't upgrade my tickets to AP's until I'm at the parks. Could I cancel 4 days of my later trip, book same day FP's for each day of my early trip, then re-book the 4 days of FP for my November trip since those are on-site?

Edited to say that my November trip is at the end of the month. I don't even know that matters. :tongue:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  6. Babsy

Babsy DIS Veteran

My understanding is that as long as the second trip is more than 30 days after the trip in two weeks, you should be fine booking up to 7 FP's on an AP for both. If so, then you should be fine by using 4 days now (cancelled from your later trip) and rebooking another day for a total of 7 days for your later trip.
    Essentially, you would be cancelling 4 days from the Nov trip to use and book for your early Oct trip. Then, once you have your AP, you should be able to rebook one more day of FP for your Nov trip (total of 7 days of FP).

That means, if I am right, that you will lose the ability to have FP for 3 of your 10 days in November.

Reason: If you are only onsite on your later trip for 4 days, you will only be able to book a total of your maximum of 7 days of FP's for that second trip. (Bummer) ONLY If you stay the full 10 days onsite in Nov, would you be able to rebook the full 4 days that you cancelled.

I am not an expert on this, however. Hopefully someone else will be more aware of the rules. I have an AP, but haven't stayed off site with it since FP's have been in use. :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  7. SharonEM

SharonEM Earning My Ears

My November trip will be more than 30 days after my trip in two weeks. Thank you!

8. Babsy

Babsy DIS Veteran

You are welcome! I'm not sure that I should have posted - hopefully someone else can confirm or deny if I am right in the way that I believe that it works.

At the very least, the 7 day maximum for Nov should be a worst case scenario. I would try to rebook all 4 days FP's anyway. The worst that can happen is that the system won't allow it.

If you go check out buying into DVC, I believe that they will give you a few additional FP's? If you have the time in Nov, and are interested in DVC, that might help.

SharonEM likes this.
  9. focusondisney

focusondisney DIS Veteran

Since a ticket expires 14 days after first use, will it let you make fastpasses 30 days apart with only the one ticket? If you associate that ticket with your first stay, technically you won't have any ticket associated with that second stay until you get there & upgrade. Wondering if the system will cancel those fastpasses automatically?

10. srwarden1928

srwarden1928 DIS Veteran

I'm no expert, but I can tell you my experience. I purchased an AP which will not be activated until my October trip, but is linked to me on MDE. I have an onsite October trip and an onsite November trip. 60 days out from the October trip, I booked five days worth of fastpasses. 60 days out from the November trip, I booked ten days worth of fastpasses. So I have FIFTEEN days worth of fastpasses booked out of the next 60 days.

Leelo likes this.
  11. gap2368

gap2368 DIS Veteran

I have had a week long trip and then within 45 days have gone down for a short trip and stayed off-site. I was not able to book any FP for my short trip. ( I riched the limit with my AP) but I could book day of FP and I got some good FP. I would keep the FP you have and just do day of FP so that you do not lose any FP unless you do not care if you lose your FP.

12. CAS239

This is because you're on site for both trips.

If you were offsite you could only book 2 days of FP's for your November trip until you started using your October FP's

13. CAS239

Yes you have to wait to upgrade to AP in person

Yes you could cancel days from your later trip and start making FP's now for your more recent trip. No need to wait same day to do it.

Then once you upgrade to AP you can try to remake the fps for your on site trip.

The issue is the system doesn't differentiate your on site stay as being separate FP's from your AP 7 days worth of FP's. So say you cancel however many days from on site trip, you upgrade, you make FP's for your entire trip that's 2 weeks out, the system might not let you add more to the on site stay even though it should. If that happens then try guest service.

It is a little confusing. Usually this problem is reversed where people are staying on site like you are but don't want to cancel any of their on site stay FP's, so thus they can't make any other FP's for their off site stay. Or they already have FP's for an offsite stay booked, then book an on site stay so the window opens. So I haven't seen where if you've already booked fps for on site, cancel, book for offsite, then go to remake on site FP's that would put your total more than 7fp days, if the system allows it. It fully should, I'm just saying you might run into technical difficulties.

Hope all that made sense lol

SharonEM likes this.
  14. SharonEM

SharonEM Earning My Ears

It makes sense. Once again, thank you for the explanation. I feel like I have a better handle on how all this works, but I have some concern over even trying to book FP's for the early trip. The November vacation includes other family members and is a pretty big deal...I don't want to mess that up. Otherwise, I would be willing to play around and make some risks with the FP's. I'm leaning on the side of caution and thinking hard about just relying on rope-dropping, smart touring, and low expectations.

15. gap2368

gap2368 DIS Veteran

You can also do same day fastpass and keep all the FP you have I have gotten some good ones this way