My 1980 dream of Camping at the Fort, Fall 2012: Pop, BWV and THE FORT! .. update: 10 years later .. Trip report is complete!

Chartle:

Dirt Cheap Bike?
It would be cheaper to get one at a thrift shop to have the entire time at the Fort than it would be to pay The Fort's rates (it was $18/day a few years ago...)

I'd not just leave it on the site, but I would find someone to pass it on to, whether a Disser or a fellow camper!
Same thing with whatever type of cooler & camp chair I end up with!

hey! Are there bike rental companies in the area? Ones that might even deliver to the campsite?

Screen House?
Depends on what I pick up , if at all! I could probably fit that in the suitcase to bring home.

But, I am a believer in passing on what you don't/no longer need!:thumbsup2
lol, the neighbourhood where I've bought my house 10yrs ago practises that as well!
There's constantly furniture, tools, plants, etc being passed over the fences and/or across the street!:thumbsup2

You could purchase a cheap bike online and have it shipped to the Fort, but you'd then have to assemble it. If you're handy and can bring the right tools, might be worth it if renting is expensive. What about a folding bike? If you plan on doing a trip like this annually, then it might be worth finding one. I've seen 2 on Craigslist here in Maine recently. You could then bring it with you or mail it down.

Have you considered Owner's Locker? I don't know what they charge, but I know a lot of people who rent homes near WDW use them to store stuff between trips. Again, if you're going to do this type of thing annually, maybe it's worth looking into.

I'm on the home stretch now!
Count down is on:hourglass! Single digits tomorrow!:cool1:
1 suitcase pack, and next one started!:cool1:

Loving all the feedback! Even if only 1 out of 5 works for me, that's still great help!:thumbsup2

I do remember that there is a bike rental. I hope someone remembers their name.

Foggy,

I found one thread from last year with a contact for a bike rental. You might want to give them a call and see if they still do this and their rates. See post #4.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2671236

Bama ED

You could purchase a cheap bike online and have it shipped to the Fort, but you'd then have to assemble it. If you're handy and can bring the right tools, might be worth it if renting is expensive. What about a folding bike? If you plan on doing a trip like this annually, then it might be worth finding one. I've seen 2 on Craigslist here in Maine recently. You could then bring it with you or mail it down.

Have you considered Owner's Locker? I don't know what they charge, but I know a lot of people who rent homes near WDW use them to store stuff between trips. Again, if you're going to do this type of thing annually, maybe it's worth looking into.

Thanks guys!

englishteacha, I figure the cost of buying & then paying excess baggage or otherwise shipping a bike would end up beiing a more expensive venture!)

From the katiekomo's TR that bama ed mentioned, and then from various Google searches I came up with:
-- Km-Rental is the best so far: $70/ week, & provides a lock w/ the bike (I've sent them an email to check avail)
-- Orlando bike rentals charges $30 /day or $99/week
-- "Evolve", "West Orange Trail Bikes and Blades", "Z E Tours, Inc", and "Road & Trail Bicycles" are all about the same $25-$30/day on a 6day rental or $150 for the week)
-- Kylesbikes starts at $135 for 6 days
-- LocoMotion is $35/day
-- Advanced Cycles is $39/day,

I've also searched Craigslist, and have put an offer in to buy a bike at $40. Waiting to hear back from them as well!

I reread all of katiekomo's TR (I remembered reading that one last year or so!) Good pointers to re-read!

Less than 1 week to go!
:cool1::cool1:

Holy heck I have so much stuff to try to do between then and now, I've written a schedule.... got visits to my sisters & walking the dog scheduled!
Only 30mins internet time per night!

---- In fact, just had a several days w/ no internet access... frustrating, but productive in other ways! I now know I can survive with no laptop (barely, but I can survive!)-- so will prob scratch that off the To-Bring list!

Back to considering a rent-a-car while at the fort: NOT a fan of driving on unfamilar busy roads, but having a car there would have many other benefits, not the least of which is a huge security blanket in case of thunder/lightning storms!

So, hi ho hi ho, it's off to the Transportation board I go!!!

So, hoping it's a good deal: $100/wk for a compact from Dollar. I'll pick it up at the Wyndham by DTD. At that rate, I sprung for 2 weeks!

4 more full days left:
2 days are work days.
1 day is a long slow run (taking in a half marathon just because it's the distance I need....lol! Never thought I'd be saying Half Marathon, let alone the word run!) & a reception after... also no doubt, a few ice baths!
Leaves 1 day to finish ripping the wood off a bedroom floor, get it to the dump, get hair cut & maybe coloured, lose 10 pounds, get washboard abs (currently have bag of milk abs....), organize 2 storage rooms. oh, and finish packing!

Excited now! 2 days at Pop, which I've been interested in checking out from Day one! 7 days at BWV /DVC - walking distance to EPCOT/DHS, AND! a balcony!
And then! The Fort! I have to remember the Fort is just part of my trip

Now that I'll have a car, dynamics will change a bit! Still don't plan to drive around off site hardly at all, but this will be lovely for waterpark visits, resorts visits, etc-- I can wait for a bus, or not!
Have an old GPS, not upgradeable as I understand.....wonder if it's worth taking.... prob take it anyway!

5 more sleeps! :hourglass 5 more sleeps! :hourglass 5 more sleeps!!!

You're killing me, I want to GO! Have a wonderful safe trip and I hope you get a chance for a TR.

And i'm halfway there!
Got a brand new iPhone and am on my 2nd plane--- Toronto to Orlando!!!
Camping suitcase made it this far! Crossing my fingers it lands in orlando with me!

Excited now! 2 days at Pop, which I've been interested in checking out from Day one! 7 days at BWV /DVC - walking distance to EPCOT/DHS, AND! a balcony!
AND SHE'S LIVE AT THE........ Boardwalk Villas... (The FORT is later next week!) Boardwalk is lovely, except I have a coveted room not too far from the elevator... very close to the luggage/guest drop off area... CRASH BOOM BANG, and CLATTER CLATTER "TAXI!!!!" CRASH BOOM BANG,
It's noisy. And EVERYONE seems to stare at people on balconies. I may ask to be moved-- I so want to spend much time out on balcony![/quote]
Now that I'll have a car, dynamics will change a bit! Still don't plan to drive around off site hardly at all, but this will be lovely for waterpark visits, resorts visits, etc-- I can wait for a bus, or not!
Have an old GPS, not upgradeable as I understand.....wonder if it's worth taking.... prob take it anyway!
Didn't take it, think I'm doing okay with out! Did venture out to Walmart & made it back to tell the tale! Which I'll tell later!

I'm excited for you....have a great trip!!!
Thank you!:)
You're killing me, I want to GO! Have a wonderful safe trip and I hope you get a chance for a TR.
Planning on it!!! :thumbsup2
And i'm halfway there!
Got a brand new iPhone and am on my 2nd plane--- Toronto to Orlando!!!
Camping suitcase made it this far! Crossing my fingers it lands in orlando with me!
Yes! All in 1 piece! Or in 3, as there were 3 suitcases...that wasn't fun moving all that at the Toronto airport thru customs--at least not until I got the hang of it!

Good luck and have fun
Thank you much!

Wondering?!!!
Oops! I'm falling down on the job! Sorry! Got an iPhone last week, HUGE upgrade from flip phone, takes a lot to get used to, and is slower going! Time to get used to it!

Hope you're having a blast!
:cool1::cool1: Yeppers!

Whew! It's taken a while just to get this much done!
I'm thinking I may need to do this as a 2 part trip report: BEFORE the Fort and AT the Fort..... Once I get to it, I'll do the BEFORE on the regular TR forum, and the AT on this forum, and I'll insert links for both.:thumbsup2

Suffice it to say, Florida is hot! Whew! Loving it!
Today I connected to Tina (of Camping at the Fort)'s husband as they are helping me with some of the articles I needed (although I'm proud to say I did bring enough down with me that I would still have had a quality camping trip! From Tina, I've got the icing on the cake!:flower3:

Had a lovely conversation w/ her on the phone ( Loving my iPhone!) as I walked to Fantasmic yesterday! She mentioned there were some health issues, but she's back on track and still in business. ::yes::

If you're at WDW and you see a lone (middleage! female, ask if it's me! (no, I'm not that hot chick, not that one either! After tonight I'll prob be the one limping!!! .
....Lol, and if I look at you really strange when you stop me to say " Are you walking in the fog", well.. that's not me either!:rotfl:

Tonight I do the Tower of Terror 10 miler, so it's off to the WISH board I go!
Hopefully of the coming week I can start pulling together some of the BEFORE! TR.!

I hope tonight is a PR for you.

Elbow your way through the start corrals to the front.

Enjoy the run. I've never run Disney at night but I have done the Big 4 (5k/10k/Half/Whole) all on the 01-04 dates in my signature. The Disney Runs are a blast.

Bama ED

I hope tonight is a PR for you.

Elbow your way through the start corrals to the front.

Enjoy the run. I've never run Disney at night but I have done the Big 4 (5k/10k/Half/Whole) all on the 01-04 dates in my signature. The Disney Runs are a blast.

Bama ED

Thanks!

lol! Not expecting any PR tonight! I'll be elbowing my way thru the start corrals to the back! I'm in corral A, but feel like a corral B or C!

Got my bib, my ears and even a wee black mousey tail on, and squeaking my outta here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter