My 1980 dream of Camping at the Fort, Fall 2012: Pop, BWV and THE FORT! .. update: 10 years later .. Trip report is complete!

Funny enough, last year during F&W, we ended up cancelling several of our ADRS because we managed walk ups here & there.... we waited about the same lenght of time for each ADR as we did for the Walkups!
AND! Walkups included: Le Cellier at Lunch time. Boma @ Suppertime, Nine Dragons @ Supper Time, Wolfgang Puck Restaurant at SupperTime, and Tusker House Character Breakfast (1 hr after the full finish of the Hallowe'en 5 k (I needed a cup of Tea in not-a-disposable cup).... All were amazing! I had THE BEST BURGER OF MY LIFE (excuse me while I drool) .

Then I guess you are very lucky. Everytime we have gone, the walkups have been turned away even if the place was only half full. Maybe it is just the time of day. We are always trying for a place around 2pm

I havent read most of this thread but small directions on a tin caught my attention. I too have reached that conclusion that the manufacturers are trying to save on paint by decreasing print. One trick I have learned is to take pictures with my smartphone and enlarge the picture.

I haven't seen the paint bucket type of sealer, so no help on how to use that kind. The seam sealer that I usually use is the Coleman version in the bingo daubber. The waterproofer is usually in the same section of the store in a spray can.
This is my method, others may have a different way to do it, so use what method works for you.
We generally put the tent up and use the seam sealer on ALL the seams, it can take a bit to cover all the seams depending on how big the tent is, this includes how much sealer to buy. We go through 2 of the Coleman version seamsealer for our tent. You can seal the inside and outside of the seams, but inside is all I do.
After we seam seal I go inside the tent with the waterproofer and start spraying the top and sides, I do the rainfly as well since it is already attached to the top of the tent.
Generally leave the tent up overnight to get the seam sealer and waterproofer completely dry. If you take the tent down too soon it will stick together.
We have an older tent and this is how I start our camping season.
Good advice! I m not too sure how to get at the underside of the fly while the tent is set up... the tent is relatively big.

WALKINGINTHEFOG said "Funny enough, last year during F&W, we ended up cancelling several of our ADRS because we managed walk ups here & there.... we waited about the same lenght of time for each ADR as we did for the Walkups!
AND! Walkups included: Le Cellier at Lunch time. Boma @ Suppertime, Nine Dragons @ Supper Time, Wolfgang Puck Restaurant at SupperTime, and Tusker House Character Breakfast (1 hr after the full finish of the Hallowe'en 5 k (I needed a cup of Tea in not-a-disposable cup).... All were amazing! I had THE BEST BURGER OF MY LIFE (excuse me while I drool) .""

Then I guess you are very lucky. Everytime we have gone, the walkups have been turned away even if the place was only half full. Maybe it is just the time of day. We are always trying for a place around 2pm

Time of day surely plays its part! And there were 3 of us, whereas maybe you guys were a larger party?

I havent read most of this thread but small directions on a tin caught my attention. I too have reached that conclusion that the manufacturers are trying to save on paint by decreasing print. One trick I have learned is to take pictures with my smartphone and enlarge the picture.

Lol! I've done this while travelling: taken a photo of a street sign down the road and enlarged it to see the street name!

The phone trip is great for shopping for real estate too! :) much easier than writing down phone numbers of realtors and trying to remember which house went with which number!

I haven't seen the paint bucket type of sealer, so no help on how to use that kind. The seam sealer that I usually use is the Coleman version in the bingo daubber. The waterproofer is usually in the same section of the store in a spray can.
This is my method, others may have a different way to do it, so use what method works for you.
We generally put the tent up and use the seam sealer on ALL the seams, it can take a bit to cover all the seams depending on how big the tent is, this includes how much sealer to buy. We go through 2 of the Coleman version seamsealer for our tent. You can seal the inside and outside of the seams, but inside is all I do.
After we seam seal I go inside the tent with the waterproofer and start spraying the top and sides, I do the rainfly as well since it is already attached to the top of the tent.
Generally leave the tent up overnight to get the seam sealer and waterproofer completely dry. If you take the tent down too soon it will stick together.
We have an older tent and this is how I start our camping season.

Oh duh!! The top of my tent is net for airflow. I put the rainfly on the tent when I put it up for waterproofing, so I spray the top of the tent and thus the rainfly, at least the part that is over the net. It is elevated a bit off the tent, so I spray up and get the rainfly and net. Sorry, for not being more clear on that.

Oh duh!! The top of my tent is net for airflow. I put the rainfly on the tent when I put it up for waterproofing, so I spray the top of the tent and thus the rainfly, at least the part that is over the net. It is elevated a bit off the tent, so I spray up and get the rainfly and net. Sorry, for not being more clear on that.

lol! Oh Duh me! The top half of my tent is also net for airflow!!! :rotfl2:

What you said is perfect now!

We've rain forecast for this weekend, but I'll wait and see Sunday where Isaac is tracking....if it's not rained out, NL will prob get a good soaking midweek.... not the optimal time to set the tent up outsite......

Foggy,

Sally gave you some good advice on the water sealer question. The can-of-paint type of sealer is typically for old fashioned canvas wall tents which you literally apply like you were painting the tent. The aerisol spray cans are what I have used on my backpacking nylon tents. Seam sealer is a good extra step and as Sally said, is best applied from the inside. Sounds like you'll be ready! :thumbsup2

Bama ED

And now the "OMG why do I think I can do this alone" thoughts are creeping in.
(they will disappear. I will make sure of that!)

But.......what if, on arrival day at the fort, it's windy?:eek:
Or raining hard?:eek:
Or both?:scared1:

I fully expect to have rain during my adventure, the last 2 times I was at Disney, the only rain fell during this part of October.
I know it's hurricane season, but I feel those 6 days in the middle of Florida are at relatively low risk. And if anything does happen, Brother Disney will help me thru.

But, how do you set up a tent in windy conditions or in a downpour?
Any fort experiences here? Any advice?

(I intend, and fully expect, to pitch camp/strike camp alone, not the issue!)

I have no advice to offer, never having set up a tent in my life, let alone in the wind or rain! I will say that I'm very sure it won't be windy or rainy when you arrive, and if so, it probably won't be for long!

I have no advice to offer, never having set up a tent in my life, let alone in the wind or rain! I will say that I'm very sure it won't be windy or rainy when you arrive, and if so, it probably won't be for long!

From your lips to God's ears!:cloud9:

I'm sure hoping for calm days-- rain is only a nuisance, but wind can be scary!

You get out there and set up a tent! It's satisfying when that jumble of poles and materials all of a suddenly :wizard:becomes a dwelling!

3wks! 3 wks! 3wks!:cool1::cool1::cool1::banana::banana:
There's next weekend which is an 18km hilly run. :thumbsup2:faint:
Then the next weekend is a 10k "race" in Harbour Grace. (and Fish& Chips after!):thumbsup2
Then it's the Huffin Puffin Half Marathon the next weekend, that's 21.1km :hyper:
(a medal, and a great reception after!).

THEN It 's :banana: 2 more sleeps! :banana: Well, really just one, because I'll leave the house & Basilboy to his pals & housesitters & head to the airport for 4am!
Woohoo! The 3 weeks will go so fast.

Despite a near tent disaster (that oddly enough came on the tales of seeing pictures on the Disboards of a screen repair after dog ran thru the screen!), my plans are all coming together, I'll be keeping an eye on the Storms brewing out in the Atlantic, hoping nothing interferes w/ the travel plan!

• I've decided on taking the normal size Hillary tent (it's been tried & true, fits all, I know it's waterproof. And I think less potential for any trouble with it...there's 4 poles vs 9 poles of the bigger Wenger. (I still plan a having a tarp extending over the tent and covering my "dining area")
  • I've also have semi packed the tent suitcase: room for all tent/fly/pump/ tarp/ropes/airmattress/bedding/doodads. So I know there's no issue there.
  • Time to fine tune the plans for all legs of my adventure!

Lol, my near calamity: tent screen zippered shut, Basil & I on the inside, somebody came to the backgate... Basil didn't notice the screen door: he bounced right off that invisible wall! 2nd time that's happened..
Fortunately no damage done.

I'm wondering if/how many Newfoundlanders I'll run into down at the Fort!
:grouphug:

I am caught up and joining. As a former tenter, moved up to an RV, I do love the sound of sleeping in a tent. Maybe I will do it again one day, it would be a great way to supplement my DVC points. Can't wait to hear more!

Whoa, what a difference in temps! It was 9degrees when I went out yesterday morning (that's, like, 47 or so in Fahrenheit!)
I was going to sleep out in the big tent on last Friday, but after wrapping a scarf around my head, and pulling the dog, cushion and all, on the airmattress just to generate some heat, I decided, "ain't no way Florida is going to be like this in October"!
Back in the house we went!

I'm on the home stretch now! Time to officially put the suitcases on a spare bed and print off the list!
This is when the list gets pruned down! The plan is to take 1 camping suitcase & 1 suitcase with everything else (I plan on doing laundry for my 3wk adventure). The Carryon is for pillow, change of clothes, footwear, & swimsuit. Let's see how I manage to stick to the plan!

I'm not even gone yet and I'm already thinking ahead to the next one!
--Maybe early-mid Nov 2013, Get a few days in BLT w/ a magic view, and then a week or more at THE FORT, bringing the big Tent. That one will be for the WIne & Dine Half, a milestone birthday, and to see the Christmas decor.!

Wow - I missed the fact that you are flying with all your camping gear!! That's awesome! I'm already thinking about our next Disney trip too. I'd love to go late nov 2013 but it will probably be more like late nov 2014 due to other trips we have scheduled.

Wow - I missed the fact that you are flying with all your camping gear!! That's awesome! I'm already thinking about our next Disney trip too. I'd love to go late nov 2013 but it will probably be more like late nov 2014 due to other trips we have scheduled.

YEAH!!! for home stretch
You will be fine temp wise in sept/oct.

and i know what you mean about the next one--which i am secretly planning
shhhhhh!!!! don't tell hubby just yet let us get back from upcoming trip

Ann and family

I think they must put some addictive substance in the Mickey Ice Cream bars![:mickeybar
Keeps us all coming back!

Are you mailing anything down ahead?

Tented1, nope, I plan to bring it all with. Now, going home, I might just consider mailing a parcel or 2!:thumbsup2

I'm down in the basement now, trying to get things cleared up, so I can bring in whatever I can from the yard!
We've got some weather tracking up the Atlantic, the likes of which we rarely see here on the Avalon! ,
The Avalon [peninsula] is the south eastern part of NL... yep, looks like a direct hit on Tuesday.. we'll see what happens, I expect I'll be hunkered down in the basement w/ earplugs, doggie, and the battery radio... I DO NOT LIKE WIND!!!!
1667385371472.png

Last edited:
Yikes! Looks like it's going to skip my island, but of course that could change. Hope you don't get hit too hard!

eta: Whoops! I spoke too soon! As soon as I posted I checked the Weather Network and it looks like we do have a rainfall warning for Tuesday morning.

And the packing has started!!!!!

I have my camp suitcase packed! :cool1:
And weighed! 52lbs :thumbsup2 (My checked allowance is 2 free suitcases, 70lbs each):
Tent, tarp, ropes, pegs, bed, sheets, blanket, fan, radio, flashlights, airpump.
I'll throw in my pillow & a few changes of clothing + swimsuit+ footwear later on.

i figure there's a few things I may as well just get down there, because I won't save any money by buying them up here!
So, whether it's a Dollarama-type store, a Department store, or a Thrift shop, I'll pick up:
- Mini-exterior lights (Christmas section), inside lamp
- Mini broom/dustpan. Tablecloth/clips.
- Sm. Electric Frypan
- Cooler (or mini fridge?)
- Camp chair

And if I can find for dirt cheap:
Bike +lock +basket . Even a Screen house (because camping is just nicer with a room to call your kitchen! or your rainy day room!)

Suitcase is packed now, just because I was securing/consolidating that part of the basement (and yes, it's up on a shelf off the basement floor....can't see my basement flooding:scared:, but it's 4' up just in case! Leslie better not mess w/ my WDW trip!

@ teekathepony: I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of us! Not much chance this will blow out to sea tho'!

- Mini-exterior lights (Christmas section), inside lamp
- Cooler (or mini fridge?)
- Camp chair

And if I can find for dirt cheap:
Bike +lock +basket . Even a Screen house (because camping is just nicer with a room to call your kitchen! or your rainy day room!)

Are you just going to leave this stuff at the site when you leave? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter