My 10/20 Eastern Review

schoen

DIS Veteran
While the weather was pretty terrible on the last night, there WERE other aspects of the cruise I just went on!

Room 5192-Very Aft part of the ship, extended balcony-we had one lounger and two chairs. We loved this room. I was a little concerned because so many folks complained about aft rooms, but we did not have any problems, or at the very least the light vibrations did not bother me in the least. We had a lot of cloudy days, so we spent a ton of time on our verandah.

Stateroom Host- Christopher from the Philippines. I was in love with him! we met him the first night while we were on board and he was great. The room was always perfect, and he could not have been more friendly. He would often stop what he was doing in other rooms if he saw us walk by so he could chat with us. He memorized our names before we even saw him! I wanted to bring him home with me!

Serving Team: They were great! Fabijen from Croatia (or maybe Serbia) was our server, Maissel from Dominican Republic was our assistant server, and Roberto from the Philippines was our head server. The were all great! Friendly and sweet. They did not hound us about our comment cards for excellents.

Palo- We had brunch and dinner here. Both were fantastic and very high quality food. Ivan from Hungry was our server, and he was fantastic! We loved Palo

Remy-I officially want a re-do on Remy! Our reservation was for 7:20 on the night were were sailing by the hurricane. I was a nervous wreck. They had us wait in Meridian, and when the Remy guy who came out to seat us saw me he immediately asked if I was alright. He was awesome! He totally thought I was seasick, and that was why I looked the way I did. I was actually just nervous. He told me we didn't have to keep our reservation, and was very polite.

I decided to continue with the meal because I was so scared I figured the distraction would be helpful. I couldn't bear the thought of going back to our room, so we stayed. They were awesome and assured me that we were perfectly safe.

The food was exceptional, but I ate very little of it. I was just mentally in a really bad place. I felt so bad for my poor husband, because he was totally fine, but had to deal with his basket case wife. He loved the dinner. By the end of the dinner, around 10:30 the ship was getting pretty bad. We heard lots of stuff fall and break in the restaurant. I can't imagine how much money they lost in broken glassware and china.

Despite the less than ideal circumstances, the staff was professional, calm, and collected. I wish I could have enjoyed the meal more than I did. It was a great place to be in that situation actually!

Cabana's-It was fine. It was really crowded at times, which was frustrating, but outside seating was often unavailable because of weather, and that seemed to be when it was the worst. I enjoyed lunch more than breakfast. My husband enjoyed Breakfast more than lunch. Different strokes!

Room Service-I ordered some cereal for our early excursion in St. Thomas, and chicken tenders another time. They were fast and I was supremely impressed with how hot the chicken fingers and fries were!

Excursion in St. Maartin-Afternoon Beach Break: This was a fine excursion. It didn't leave until 1:30, which gave us plenty of time to get off the ship in the AM and explore the island. The ride to the beach was longer than I anticipated, but it was nice scenery. The beach was nice, but the first 20 min or so was spent telling random ladies selling junk "NO thanks!" That was kind of annoying. The water was warm, but the waves were just a little rough for relaxing in the ocean. They were not bad, but it was not super relaxing in the ocean. Not sure if that is normal or not.

Our bus broke down, which was annoying because we had to wait for another to come pick us up. At this point I was glad we booked through Disney, because I was not at all concerned that we would not make it back to the ship and be left on the island. Overall, it was expensive for what it was. I would probably not pay for it again.

Excursion in St Thomas: All Day snorkel and sail to Turtle Cove and Honeymoon Beach- This was AMAZING!!!!!!! The crew was great! The boat was cool. When we snorkeled we saw tons of turtles and other fish. The coral reef was beautiful.

After snorkeling we sailed over to Honeymoon beach. This is where you need to BE CAREFUL!!!!! They offer you rum punch, and it tastes good, and then they keep it full for you. It is NOT a weak drink.

The lunch at Honeymoon Beach was pretty good. The beach and water was beautiful. It was a FANTASTIC day.

The sail back was fairly long, and I was starting to regret drinking the rum punch, but it was still FABULOUS! Just don't make the same mistake I did! Drink a water in between rum punches! and maybe just have one or two!

Champagne Tasting- Great! Lots of good champagne, and very informative, maybe a little boring at times, but GREAT champagne.

Mixology- This was AWESOME! I came pretty late, about halfway through. I decided to skip it and head to the spa for a massage. The part I did catch was awesome though. The bartender was Novak from either Serbia or Croatia (Sorry don't remember which one). He was just very passionate about his job, and clearly LOVED spirits. I made all the drinks and had a few sips of each one, but I was feeling pretty yucky from the rum punch from the day before, so I didn't drink much.

Spa: I got a massage and mini facial. It was okay, but I prefer a more intense and deeper massage than what I got. The ship got pretty rocky during the massage too. The technician didn't miss a beat though. The doors were rolling open, and some products fell. The facial was nice. It was a nice and relaxing treatment, but did not help with m back pain. It was more of an "ooo this feels nice!" massage than a "let me work out our knots and get you really loose" massage. When the treatment was over she confessed it was a little hard since there was so much movement. She did NOT give me a hard sell on products.

We went to the rainforest room on the last morning. The showers were invigorating and fun, the saunas were nice. The hot tubs were not very warm, and it was super windy and fairly cold so that was kinda a bummer. The heated loungers were really great. We went right at 8:00 am when they opened, and we were the only ones in there until probably nine or so. It was nice, I don't know if I'd rush back to the rainforest room though. I would NOT buy the week long pass, personally-I can totally see others loving it.

If you have any questions please let me know!

So jealous of the room you had sounds great. Glad you enjoyed some aspects of the cruise, it always sucks when its not warm or you have bad weather.

Thanks for the great review

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards

Good to hear some positive news regarding your 10/20 cruise. Obviously, there has been a lot of negativity swirling around the boards since Sandy. So it was a nice, refreshing change to hear some good things.

Remy-I officially want a re-do on Remy!

I really hope you get a re-do on Remy in the future! :goodvibes I'm sorry that you didn't get to enjoy this - as you already know it usually is an awesome experience. It sounds like you have a great excuse to tell your DH you need another shot at it. ;)

Excursion in St Thomas: All Day snorkel and sail to Turtle Cove and Honeymoon Beach- This was AMAZING!!!!!!! The crew was great! The boat was cool. When we snorkeled we saw tons of turtles and other fish. The coral reef was beautiful.

After snorkeling we sailed over to Honeymoon beach. This is where you need to BE CAREFUL!!!!! They offer you rum punch, and it tastes good, and then they keep it full for you. It is NOT a weak drink.

...I was starting to regret drinking the rum punch, but it was still FABULOUS! Just don't make the same mistake I did! Drink a water in between rum punches! and maybe just have one or two!

I so AGREE!! They are sooooo good....and soooooo strong!!! My DH told me that they had HALF a Rubbermaid pitcher with punch mix....then FILLED it with rum...then poured the drinks...and one of the other guys was "topping it off" with rum!! :faint: It was a great excursion though!! :lmao:

Thanks for the review of the "other part" of the sailing. :thumbsup2

Sounds like a great trip. I was interested in the review of the two excursions you did as we are thinking of doing the same ones for our upcoming Eastern. What time did you make it back to the Fantasy from the afternoon beach break on St. Maarten? We have early dining and don't want to miss our scheduled meal.:)

Stitch'sCousin said:
Sounds like a great trip. I was interested in the review of the two excursions you did as we are thinking of doing the same ones for our upcoming Eastern. What time did you make it back to the Fantasy from the afternoon beach break on St. Maarten? We have early dining and don't want to miss our scheduled meal.:)

We didn't get back until 6:00or so, but we were unusually late because the bus broke down, which cost us about an hour or so, so normally you'd get back at 5:00ish

you definitely need a do-over for Remy. I can't imagine what it must have been like up there during the storm while trying to enjoy a dinner of that caliber.

our dinner was on Tuesday night (we always skip the Pirates stuff) and it was just lovely.

see? you have another reason to re-book. :goodvibes

BTW ... Novak is from Serbia. We really spent way too much time with him. WAHAHAHAHA!!!

you definitely need a do-over for Remy. I can't imagine what it must have been like up there during the storm while trying to enjoy a dinner of that caliber.

our dinner was on Tuesday night (we always skip the Pirates stuff) and it was just lovely.

see? you have another reason to re-book. :goodvibes

BTW ... Novak is from Serbia. We really spent way too much time with him. WAHAHAHAHA!!!

I do need a re-do! The two things I was most excited about was Remy and Castaway, so we'll see. We might try to book a 4 night in May. My only concern is that we loved the Fantasy so much that the Dream might disappoint us. We spent most of our off-time at Satellite Falls, and I think we'd really miss it. We'll see though.

We are cruising on December 29th and will be in 5670 on 5 aft. Glad o hear that you had no complaints about the 5 aft cabins!

While the weather was pretty terrible on the last night, there WERE other aspects of the cruise I just went on!

Room 5192-Very Aft part of the ship, extended balcony-we had one lounger and two chairs. We loved this room. I was a little concerned because so many folks complained about aft rooms, but we did not have any problems, or at the very least the light vibrations did not bother me in the least. We had a lot of cloudy days, so we spent a ton of time on our verandah.

If you have any questions please let me know!

Thank you for offering a POSITIVE experience on this cruise! Just my two cents though, I doubt you will be disappointed in the Dream even without Satillite Falls. Go for it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter