Muster drills - why did DCL switch back to the old way and other cruise lines haven't?

RCL has announced they have no intention of going back to the old way either. So there goes the whole "the coast guard is making them go back" argument. On Disney it basically came down to a lack of guest participating in the e muster. And maybe staffing issues too. Probably the same combination that led NCL to reverse course and go back to in person as well.

Because it's funnerer this way. :rotfl:
My muster station on the Wish was A, which was the starboard side of the Walt Disney Theater. During the muster drill, an audio track is played explaining everything. Well, the audio wasn't working in the theater (odd for a new ship) so we didn't hear it until the part of the track that says "this concludes the mandatory muster drill"
Easiest muster drill ever!
Oh, yeah, they scan your key card on the way in to register that you were in attendance.
Also the seats aren't comfortable.

I guess it makes sense. Tie up everyone for 30-45 minutes and get it over and done with versus tying up part of the crew all day to stand at the muster stations and hunt down non-complaint guests.

Shouldn't participation always be 100% because the drill is mandatory?
There are plenty of stories on Cruise Critic of people missing or skipping muster drills (intentionally or otherwise) by staying in their stateroom and being missed. While they can be kicked off the ship, they’re usually assigned a makeup drill or just given muster instructions on paper. I’ve certainly been on Disney cruises where a stateroom or two at my muster station has been a no-show.

The article says through surveys.

There were three state rooms that were no shows on our Wish cruise last week.
I'm sure that the crew tracked them down and made them do a makeup drill, though. They pretty much have to.

Why did Disney switch back to the old way of doing muster drills in person if other cruise lines have not also switched back? Just curious if anyone knows the story behind the switch?
Just got off the NCL Pride of America on January 28, 2023. Full blown muster drill was conducted prior to th boat sailing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter