Must-dos in Europe

Christy702

Mouseketeer
I’m going on a study abroad trip this Fall in Germany and I’m trying to plan some weekend trips to see some other parts of Europe, but I have no idea where to start! I have 3 day weekends to travel and a week long break in October where I plan on going to Greece and Spain. I’m definitely going to Munich for a weekend during Oktoberfest, but other than that I’m not sure where else I want to go!
Just wanted to see if anyone had any “must-do” suggestions I could look into!

I’m going on a study abroad trip this Fall in Germany and I’m trying to plan some weekend trips to see some other parts of Europe, but I have no idea where to start! I have 3 day weekends to travel and a week long break in October where I plan on going to Greece and Spain. I’m definitely going to Munich for a weekend during Oktoberfest, but other than that I’m not sure where else I want to go!
Just wanted to see if anyone had any “must-do” suggestions I could look into!
We've never been to northern Europe but completed our "bucket list" trip to the Med last year. We crammed in as many world-famous, iconic tourist sites as possible, knowing it was likely a one-and-done opportunity. We're not really "off the beaten path" people so I'd recommend acquiring a "Top Ten" guidebook and start checking them off! :wave2:

I’m definitely going to Munich for a weekend during Oktoberfest,!

I lived in Munich and I would advise sorting out this trip ASAP. Despite the name, the festival is not really in October. In 2018 it starts on 22 September and ends on 7 October. This is the website you need to check out https://www.oktoberfest.de/en/

This page gives a great overall view of what Octoberfest is, the history etc.

The festival is mainly in a large open space just outside the centre of Munich. This is where you find the gigantic beer hall tents of the local breweries as well as a funfair.

Thousands of people go to Octoberfest so you really need to check out accommodation ASAP

I think it just depends on your own preferences. When we were in Scotland, my relatives in Dundee had NO idea why I’d “waste” a day in Inverness and the highlands. “There’s nothing up there”. Was my favorite day of the trip.

Love Scotland but it’s not for just a weekend. Ireland is nice too, a lot smaller and better for just a weekend. Would look at London, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona and would swap Greece with Italy Florence, Pisa, Sienna ie.
Greece is only good for a beach vacation and they only have pebble beaches, Athens is a really ugly city with just the acropolis
I also like the northern countries but they are not a top destination in my opinion.
If you want more tips for Germany, pn me I am German

where in Germany will you be? Make a huge difference on what is worthwhile for a 3 day weekend.

within Germany Munich, Berlin and Hamburg are all really nice. and likely an easy high speed train ride from anywhere in the country. Other good bets by train, depending on where in Germany you are studying (note, in Germany you can buy train tickts 90 days prior to a 4 trip---the closer to that 90 day you buy, the better deal you will get---you can often pay half the official price for coach to get first class if you buy near that mark):

Copenhagen (expensive, but such a great place), The Hauge or Rotterdam (I prefer either to Amsterdam, but if throngs of tourists do not bother you, maybe you'd prefer the bigger city), Prague, Budapest, Salzburg (my preference for Austria) or Vienna, Paris (or lesser known but really great cities of Metz, Strausberg or Reims)

I would recommend flying to Venice or Barcelona (great city---we've flown for as little as 54 euro round trip from Frankfurt as recently as last Christmas--check Vueling for any trips to Spain), or Lisbon as all particularly good to visit, even if you only have a weekend.

In Germany, check out visiting Berchtesgaden, and in particular, Ramsau. They have some wonderful hikes there (or at least they did a hundred years ago); Rüdesheim and Lübeck are a couple of my favorite cities. I took a train ride from Madrid to Hamburg, with a layover in Paris. That was fun. For Spain, you'll probably go to Barcelona. I also recommend Madrid, Toledo, and Segovia to hit up (as well as others if you had more time.

Disney patterned the Sleeping Beauty Castle after the Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria. It's less than two hours from Munich. Definitely a must-visit when you're in the area.

Edinburgh, Scotland - One of my favorite cities in Europe and would be great for a 3 day weekend

Saint Petersburg, Russia - Really beautiful city, amazing museums and churches

In Germany, a must do are cities like Heidelberg, Rothenburg, Bamberg, Würzburg: storybook-Germany. Definitely Hamburg and Cologne. If you want to do Oktoberfest, I would strongly recommend doing it on a weekday, if possible, unless you can get a seat on a private table in one of the tents. On a weekend, youwill have to be there super-early, and if you want to keep your seat, you will have to keep on ordering drinks, or food. I'm German, too, so if you need any help, let me know :-)

For me, must do's in Europe are: London, Dublin, Barcelona and Prague.

In Germany, a must do are cities like Heidelberg, Rothenburg, Bamberg, Würzburg: storybook-Germany. Definitely Hamburg and Cologne. If you want to do Oktoberfest, I would strongly recommend doing it on a weekday, if possible, unless you can get a seat on a private table in one of the tents. On a weekend, youwill have to be there super-early, and if you want to keep your seat, you will have to keep on ordering drinks, or food. I'm German, too, so if you need any help, let me know :-)

For me, must do's in Europe are: London, Dublin, Barcelona and Prague.

I forgot about Prague, definitely a must do for OP.

On another point, do you know if the Oktoberfest tents accept credit card? Or is it cash only? I'll be there the last week of September.

I forgot about Prague, definitely a must do for OP.

On another point, do you know if the Oktoberfest tents accept credit card? Or is it cash only? I'll be there the last week of September.
I am pretty sure they accept credit cards. I am actually contemplating going to Oktoberfest for the first time in years myself this year

But they have introduced an app, it may have been last year, it not only allows you to pay via the app, you can also use it to locate your friends! It’s pretty neat.

I am pretty sure they accept credit cards. I am actually contemplating going to Oktoberfest for the first time in years myself this year

But they have introduced an app, it may have been last year, it not only allows you to pay via the app, you can also use it to locate your friends! It’s pretty neat.

Awesome, that app sounds pretty cool, I'll look into it. Yeah I'm excited about it. Will get there during the week so should be easy enough to get in the tents for lunch.

Love Scotland but it’s not for just a weekend. Ireland is nice too, a lot smaller and better for just a weekend. Would look at London, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona and would swap Greece with Italy Florence, Pisa, Sienna ie.
Greece is only good for a beach vacation and they only have pebble beaches, Athens is a really ugly city with just the acropolis
I also like the northern countries but they are not a top destination in my opinion.
If you want more tips for Germany, pn me I am German

We did Scotland pretty much in one weekend, driving. Ireland in a weekend? No way - we need at least a week, maybe more to hit the high points. (Ha - had a typo, and it said high pints instead of points, LOL! Yup the pints are important too :) )

I lived in Munich and I would advise sorting out this trip ASAP. Despite the name, the festival is not really in October. In 2018 it starts on 22 September and ends on 7 October. This is the website you need to check out https://www.oktoberfest.de/en/

This page gives a great overall view of what Octoberfest is, the history etc.

The festival is mainly in a large open space just outside the centre of Munich. This is where you find the gigantic beer hall tents of the local breweries as well as a funfair.

Thousands of people go to Octoberfest so you really need to check out accommodation ASAP
I am trying to get a solid plan for Oktoberfest soon with some classmates. We still haven't decided on a weekend, is there one you prefer over the others or are they all the same?

I think it just depends on your own preferences. When we were in Scotland, my relatives in Dundee had NO idea why I’d “waste” a day in Inverness and the highlands. “There’s nothing up there”. Was my favorite day of the trip.
Some advice we got from classmates who had been on this trip previously was to don't be afraid to do things alone if no one else wants to go. It may be worth it to you but not others. Will definitely keep this in mind :)
where in Germany will you be? Make a huge difference on what is worthwhile for a 3 day weekend.

within Germany Munich, Berlin and Hamburg are all really nice. and likely an easy high speed train ride from anywhere in the country. Other good bets by train, depending on where in Germany you are studying (note, in Germany you can buy train tickts 90 days prior to a 4 trip---the closer to that 90 day you buy, the better deal you will get---you can often pay half the official price for coach to get first class if you buy near that mark):

Copenhagen (expensive, but such a great place), The Hauge or Rotterdam (I prefer either to Amsterdam, but if throngs of tourists do not bother you, maybe you'd prefer the bigger city), Prague, Budapest, Salzburg (my preference for Austria) or Vienna, Paris (or lesser known but really great cities of Metz, Strausberg or Reims)

I would recommend flying to Venice or Barcelona (great city---we've flown for as little as 54 euro round trip from Frankfurt as recently as last Christmas--check Vueling for any trips to Spain), or Lisbon as all particularly good to visit, even if you only have a weekend.
I will be in Bonn. I will keep that in mind when buying train tickets, thank you!
Disney patterned the Sleeping Beauty Castle after the Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria. It's less than two hours from Munich. Definitely a must-visit when you're in the area.
This is one thing I have to go see! I am going to try to plan something around this soon.

Thank you everyone for the replies, when I have time this week I need to sit down and just hash all this out. :thanks:

I am trying to get a solid plan for Oktoberfest soon with some classmates. We still haven't decided on a weekend, is there one you prefer over the others or are they all the same?

Its been a good few years since I was at Octoberfest but if it was me, I would look at the schedule for this year and see whats on. I know the first and last days, there are ceremonies and things on, which draw high crowds. I used to go after work, with work
colleagues, so we didnt actually go for a specific day or reason.

The beer tents are huge, they hold hundreds of people and there is traditional Bavarian Ump Pah music in them. Its very crowded and nosy and depending on the time of day, it can be hard to get a table and seats. They just have rows and rows of communal table and benches. So you pick a beer tent, walk around until you find room to sit, and then you order beer. The beer comes in the large or small steins. Each tent only serves the beer from that brewery, example, if you are in the Pauliner tent, you can only get Pauliner beer. They dont serve spirts such as vodka or whiskey but they do serve soda but a limited selection.

This is a photo of the Pauliner tent I found on Google image search and it gives a good example of what the beer tents are like89a926e812d68abbdb98b1cf7c2e580d.jpg

Paris, Provence, the Amalfi coast of Italy, Austria with Salzburg snd Vienna, Switzerland, the Lake District of Italy, Bruge, Stockholm..so many places so little time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter