Mulan II Movie Review

IllinoisJones

Displaying My Ears
Mulan II (2003)
While preparing for their wedding, Mulan and Shang get sent off on a secret mission in this follow up to the 1998 critically acclaimed Mulan. This is probably the most uninspired film among the list of Disney direct-to-DVD sequels. The songs are forgettable which matches the overall story. Ming-Na Wen reprises her role as the lead character and BD Wong takes Donny Osmond's spot as Shang. Their voice acting far outshines the script. Director Darrell Rooney tackled a few of these direct-to-home releases for Disney. This was co-director Lynne Southernand's only film on record. The only recommendation I have is to not tarnish the first film by watching this one. A 1/2 dragon out of 5.

I saw this for the first time not so long ago. I've been a little fascinated with these direct-to-video sequels lately. Anyway, I didn't think it was that bad. Yeah, the songs weren't that memorable, but I liked the one that was a callback to "A Girl Worth Fighting For." Also, BD Wong did play Shang in the original (though Donny Osmond was his singing voice).

What I have found in watching these sequels is that they're not really that good, but they're not really that bad either, at lest not as bad as people make them out to be anyway. I doubt that younger children would even notice the qualitative differences.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment and the correction on BD Wong. There are some direct tos that I don't dislike. This one was my least favorite.

Thanks for the comment and the correction on BD Wong. There are some direct tos that I don't dislike. This one was my least favorite.

My lest favorite was Atlantis: Milo's Return. I know it was supposed to be a TV show so they kind of cut together some of the finished episodes into a "Movie" but it was like a bad Scooby-Doo knock off. As much as I loved the film, I am kinda glad the series got scrapped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter