MSC Cruise Ship Collides with River Cruise Ship in Venice

That could have been so much worse. There were over 100 people on the River Countess and look at her now.

Saw this on the news this morning. Looked scary to me. I hope everyone is okay or no serious injuries.

Saw earlier this week a Viking river cruise ran into a smaller ship with around 40 people on board, on the Danube River. The smaller ship sank and most passengers were killed/still missing. So very sad. Glad no one was killed in the above mentioned one.

Saw earlier this week a Viking river cruise ran into a smaller ship with around 40 people on board, on the Danube River. The smaller ship sank and most passengers were killed/still missing. So very sad. Glad no one was killed in the above mentioned one.

We've been on three river cruises and their idea of a muster drill is to say the shore is right there, so swim. The collision in Budapest made it obvious that swimming is not always an option. In that crash, the smaller boat flipped on its side and was gone in a matter of seconds. The people inside didn't have a chance to escape. The captain of the Viking cruise ship was arrested because he didn't bother to stop and render aid.

Last edited:

This is only heating up the anti-cruise ship protests in Venice. The ships, no matter how small, are doing damage to the foundations. There IS a docking area outside the city that could be used, then water taxis/busses which are already used would be used to shuttle passengers into Venice proper.

I will not be surprised if this spurs legislation to require ships visiting to dock at the dock outside the city - no more huge ships cruising up the canal. Yes, it is an experience for sure. And while I loved Venice, I did feel regret knowing that damage was being caused by the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!