Tracking Cruising Restart: News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intr3pid

DIS Veteran
MSC started on August 16 with the mega-ship 'Grandiosa'.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/news/msc-reveals-health-safety-protocol
Costa started in September with its own. More details in post #50.

EU is currently off limits to US cruisers, so this is probably geared towards local cruisers.

I would call this the litmus test of whether the industry is ready to begin beyond those expedition ships.

----------------------------

SeaDream cruises start in the Caribbeans: See post #51.

Regeneron's drug shows promise: See post #77.

RCL restarting in Singapore: See post #83.

Costa Diadema virus outbreak: See post #84.

FDA's Remdesvir approval: See post #88.

Last edited:
They are doing a temperature check, health questionnaire, and rapid COVID-19 swab test for every guest prior to boarding. The test results are received while the guest waits in the terminal.

They can do the best they can, but nothing is going to be 100%. All they can do is keep people off who test positive that day. And I know people lie on the health questionnaire so I wonder if people will still do the same considering the consequences - and spread - of COVID.

Along the ship’s itinerary,guests will be able to go ashore to enjoy the different ports of call, but only as part of an MSC Cruises shore excursion as an added level of protection, so that their experience ashore follows the same high standards of health and safety as on board.

thats interesting, makes me wonder about DCL. If they do that for my September 2021 Norwegian Fjords, then I will stay on the ship. I wanted to do DIY in the ports , not DCL over priced excursions. I wonder too would that be a deal breaker for many people.

Along the ship’s itinerary,guests will be able to go ashore to enjoy the different ports of call, but only as part of an MSC Cruises shore excursion as an added level of protection, so that their experience ashore follows the same high standards of health and safety as on board.

thats interesting, makes me wonder about DCL. If they do that for my September 2021 Norwegian Fjords, then I will stay on the ship. I wanted to do DIY in the ports , not DCL over priced excursions. I wonder too would that be a deal breaker for many people.

That's a deal breaker for me. We love to explore on our own. And now you have me nervous for our August 2021 cruise although we can't cancel without losing $$. Hoping that things will be much improved by then!

That's a deal breaker for me. We love to explore on our own. And now you have me nervous for our August 2021 cruise although we can't cancel without losing $$. Hoping that things will be much improved by then!

Im sure DCL are following all this very closely. Logically from a business point of view it makes sense and it ensures that passengers remain in a bubble. HOWEVER it severely limits the cruise benefits as many people prefer DIY in ports. It will also mean a huge loss of revenue to the ports, as only places on the cruise line excursions will get tourist money from cruise passengers.

Same.
I'm OK with masks, social distancing, limited crowds, no self-serve.
But not being able to go on my own at a port is a big no for me.
The ports are my favorite part of cruising and if they take that away I'm not doing it.
I hope they figure out a way to get back to as normal an experience as possible.
#damnyouvirus

Im sure DCL are following all this very closely. Logically from a business point of view it makes sense and it ensures that passengers remain in a bubble. HOWEVER it severely limits the cruise benefits as many people prefer DIY in ports. It will also mean a huge loss of revenue to the ports, as only places on the cruise line excursions will get tourist money from cruise passengers.

I would be ok with DCL requiring you use their excursions for a short-term, if DCL greatly improved variety and availability. They just don't offer a great menu to pick from and the one or two good ones fill up fast if you are a newer cruiser.

Also, it would be a deal killer for the European cruises for us. We are taking our first to Italy/Greece next year (maybe) and the stuff we booked for private tours it affordable and better by far than what Disney offered. While Disney loads packed buses we will be long on our way in a private car and with our private expert guide in most cities.

So at several ports we just shop a little. Usually because the grandparents can’t walk or do stairs. So not sure what that means? No shopping? No uncontrolled tour vendors by ship standards, I get that part. But will there be controlled shopping now?
Costa Maya in Jamaica have enclosed ports, anyone think we could walk there if masks were guaranteed in those areas? Can anyone help me with the name for those kind of enclosed ports?

So at several ports we just shop a little. Usually because the grandparents can’t walk or do stairs. So not sure what that means? No shopping? No uncontrolled tour vendors by ship standards, I get that part. But will there be controlled shopping now?
Costa Maya in Jamaica have enclosed ports, anyone think we could walk there if masks were guaranteed in those areas? Can anyone help me with the name for those kind of enclosed ports?
They certainly could offer shopping tours. Of course, they may not go to specific shops/stores. Probably mostly bigger, brand named, stores. Possibly larger, state-sponsored stores.

I'll also point out that, while the ship-sponsored excursions are sold by DCL, they are often local tour vendors. Hopefully, if this is a route taken, they will offer smaller group tours, and decent prices.

This is moot (for now) to most of us since we are typing in from US/ Canada but Ive lost faith in MSC to do the right thing, I wouldnt trust my money, health or safety with them in stressed times. MSC is not refunding the majority of its US customers, most of us that have been repaid was only because we filed a dispute through our CC companies after waiting at least 2 months for repayment. There were a couple of things that happened during my last MSC cruise that made me question their transparency, which is something that would make me nervous right now.

When all is well again, I would consider picking up a cheap, last minute fare with MSC but no way I will ever book something pricey way off in the future with them again. Their private island was gorgeous and probably my favorite island visited ever so its a shame I feel this way about them now. :(

guests will be able to go ashore to enjoy the different ports of call, but only as part of an MSC Cruises shore excursion as an added level of protection... I wonder too would that be a deal breaker for many people.
For a port-intensive European or Alaskan cruise, it would absolutely be a deal-breaker for us to be confined to DCL port adventures.

For a 3 or 4 night Bahamian cruise, it would not be a deal breaker for us.

Last edited:
This is moot (for now) to most of us since we are typing in from US/ Canada but Ive lost faith in MSC to do the right thing, I wouldnt trust my money, health or safety with them in stressed times. MSC is not refunding the majority of its US customers, most of us that have been repaid was only because we filed a dispute through our CC companies after waiting at least 2 months for repayment. There were a couple of things that happened during my last MSC cruise that made me question their transparency, which is something that would make me nervous right now.

When all is well again, I would consider picking up a cheap, last minute fare with MSC but no way I will ever book something pricey way off in the future with them again. Their private island was gorgeous and probably my favorite island visited ever so its a shame I feel this way about them now. :(

MSC also, as I recall, stopped paying their crew in March as soon as the last passengers had disembarked, whereas most (all?) of the rest of the cruise lines paid their crews for at least some weeks more [depending on various factors including how much time was left in contracts / the specific cruise line / etc; and some paid more than just some weeks].

SW

MSC also, as I recall, stopped paying their crew in March as soon as the last passengers had disembarked, whereas most (all?) of the rest of the cruise lines paid their crews for at least some weeks more [depending on various factors including how much time was left in contracts / the specific cruise line / etc; and some paid more than just some weeks].

SW
Yup they did that too. They were giving them room and board and those not being paid were not expected to work IIRC. But they were still being held with no possibility of leaving in case you think I am MSC sympathizing.

They did give you an expectation of a 90-day delay in the refunds. We got ours at ~80-day mark.

Everyone is delaying the refunds for pretty obvious reasons. DCL service at MSC prices is just not going to happen.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ing-months-refunds-canceled-trips/3202473001/

Last edited:
They did give you an expectation of a 90-day delay in the refunds. We got ours at ~80-day mark.

Everyone is delaying the refunds for pretty obvious reasons. DCL service at MSC prices is just not going to happen.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ing-months-refunds-canceled-trips/3202473001/

Im not sure how you think you know about my communications with MSC but all I was ever told was 14 days and then after that 60 days. I passed the 120 mark with no MSC refund. It was only the CC chargeback that made me whole, not MSC.

Im not sure how you think you know about my communications with MSC but all I was ever told was 14 days and then after that 60 days. I passed the 120 mark with no MSC refund. It was only the CC chargeback that made me whole, not MSC.

DW cancelled our August MSC cruise before PIF and received refund in less than 2 weeks.

Group of passengers removed from the first MSC Med sailing for ignoring the rules by leaving an MSC sponsored excursion and going off on their own.

https://cruiseradio.net/kicked-off-...dxledR70T33qTYSOEHT4gGBwfCyL2vRBEGvTNy0T74h_o

That'll learn them. :duck:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!