Mri?

TruBlu

DIS Veteran
Does anyone here know anything about MRIs? I am asking because I had one this morning. When I went in they gave me an IV just in case. They did some scans, showed them to the doc, came back, and said that they were going to need to use a contrast dye. Does this mean they found something??? They wouldn't tell me anything! :sad1:

The contrast dye just makes it easier to find small details within the MRI image. The reason that they wanted to use may indicate that they weren't able to find anything of interest on the initial scans and that they wanted to take a closer look.

These are strictly my opinions and observations and should not be taken as gospel. I am not a doctor or diagnostic radiologist.

The contrast dye just makes it easier to find small details within the MRI image. The reason that they wanted to use may indicate that they weren't able to find anything of interest on the initial scans and that they wanted to take a closer look.

These are strictly my opinions and observations and should not be taken as gospel. I am not a doctor or diagnostic radiologist.
Thanks! It's good to know that it doesn't always mean that they found something when they use the dye. My mom said the same thing that you did, but I thought she was just trying to make me feel better.

So, I will just wait for the doctor to call.... and not freak out.... yet.... hopefully....:scared:

TruBlu.. no freaking out... please. Hugs to you...

We have to sometimes accept what we have no control over. I am hoping that these tests show nothing wrong, but if something is seen, then you deal with it one day at a time.....with all of us praying of course...

So take care, please let us know how it goes and try not to worry...easy for me to say, I worry all the time.. :rotfl:

If it makes you feel better, they found a nasty tumor (benign thank goodness) on my spine last year thru an MRI and the radiologist told me right then and there. He was also on the phone to my doctor who called my cell phone and set up an appointment with a surgeon the next day for me. Maybe mine was a worrisome case so that's why they needed to move fast.

Surgeon was great, I'm all better but no bikinis for me this year at Disney! :lmao:

Did your doctor ask for results ASAP? Did you get a copy of your scan on a CD to walk into your dr's office?

Hang in there and call your Dr on Monday and ask if he/she got the results yet. Can't hurt!

Melissa

Thanks guys!
I got a call from my surgeon on Friday. They want me to come in this Wednesday to talk about my surgery. I asked the nurse if she knew what the MRI showed, but she didn't. I guess I'll find out on Wednesday...

For some reason my pain has been much worse this weekend. It has been very hard not to be sad. I really hate this!:sad1:

Hey TruBlu.....please let us know how you do Wednesday talking to the surgeon.. Make sure you bring paper and pen with you and write down whatever you do not understand so that you can ask questions and get explanations. I found that helpful, also, we took a tape recorder to one of our first meetings to tape what the doctor said....you never remember it all. Maybe you will not need to remember it all, but please, oh please, know we are here for you.

Anyway....keep the faith, try not to worry... you will deal with whatever comes your way....right? That is what we do, we meet it and deal with it. Hugs!!!!!!!!

I've said a prayer for you and your doctors and caregivers. I know that waiting is always difficult. Hang in there.

The results were good! :thumbsup2
They did see a 1 inch lump between the skin and the abdominal wall. It should be easy to remove.
So, one more doctor visit (Friday), then I can schedule my surgery!!!
:cheer2:

TruBlu...they did find something? did they say where it was located and what they think it is? Just wondering, at least they found it and are moving forward, keeping you in my prayers... You are doing great too...keep on the road going forward. Hugs and prayers..

Thank you Marsha!
They think it is just scar tissue from having my gallbladder taken out. It is a bit discouraging because there is still no explaination for my pain. I am just going to go ahead with the hernia repair and hope that helps.

Something my GI doc said has really left me with more worry than answers. She said... "Well we've done enough testing. I can't determine a cause for your pain. I don't think that it is your pancreas. The problem with pancreatic cancer is that it can't be detected until it is very advanced. I think we should stop for now." :sad2: So, I guess I just ignore the pain and pray for the best.

Have you asked your doctor about a PET scan? The PET and Nuclear Medicine scans are functional imagers. That is, they show biological function rather than structure (like an MRI or CT scan). There are methods that can be used to pinpoint cancer using functional imaging that would be missed on convential MRI and CT scans. It's worth asking about.

Thanks! I will definitely ask about that test.

I am also considering getting a second opinion from another GI doc. On the Duke website there are a couple that specifically mention pancreatic disorders in their bios. I think I am going to call and request an appointment with one of them. It couldn't hurt...

When it comes to your health, second opinions are a good idea. Duke has an excellent medical center. You are in good hands.

" I don't think that it is your pancreas. The problem with pancreatic cancer is that it can't be detected until it is very advanced." Found this on the web from the American Cancer Society:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/c...creatic_cancer_be_found_early_34.asp?rnav=cri

This one bothers me so much I can barely stand to quote it. The key to surviving for any length of time with Pancreatic Cancer is early detection and yet it is a hard one to diagnose.. I agree with Towncrier here, ask for a Pet scan too.. if the CTscan or MRI are not showing anything, this might...

I never understand why they do not do them when all else fails and you have to ask for them. Must be that they are costly and as a result insurance frowns on having them done. Too bad about insurance and if you can get it done and get it paid for, I would do it.

Thank you for posting the link Marsha. It was depressing but helpful. Do you know anything about the endoscopic ultrasound they mentioned? Should I ask for that or the PET scan or both?

Would the PET scan show lymph node enlargement? I know the doc's aren't worried about my swollen lymph glands, but I am! I have a couple (arm and near my ear) that have been swollen since October. The CT scan reports said that the ones in my abdomen are normal.

I hate this! Self diagnosing is not fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter