Mowgli

Discussion in 'Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music' started by Bill007, May 28, 2018.

1. Bill007

Bill007 Mouseketeer

Has anyone else seen the previews for Mowgli, the new film coming out later this year, I believe by Warner Bros.? It looks pretty interesting but I can't believe it will compare to the recent live action Jungle Book. It takes the story in a whole new direction so I will be eager to see it. I just can't see though how it will do very well following so closely on the heels of The Jungle Book.

2. Meglen

Meglen Mouseketeer

Looks way better than the disney one imo

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. firefly_ris

firefly_ris DIS Veteran

Looks pretty interesting to me -- and from what I understand follows themes/storylines from the book more closely.

5. supernova

supernova DIS Veteran

Second version that has Kaa as a female snake. Poor Sterling Holloway... unless it was a "she" in the original book?

6. firefly_ris

firefly_ris DIS Veteran

Kaa was male in the book, but he was not an antagonist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaa

supernova likes this.
  7. adelaster

adelaster DIS Veteran

I'm curious to see the interpretation. I still remember the moment as a child when I noticed Kipling's name on the screen and realized the movies I loved were books too. Barrie & Kipling became immediate loves. I enjoy seeing so many takes on them!

This was one of the things that confused me most when I read the book- why Disney chose to make such a strong character a dopey mean snake with sinus problems. Honestly haven't met many people who are even aware.

8. old lady

old lady DIS Veteran

Maybe because most Western audiences hate snakes and considered them evil while in Indian culture, some aren't.