Moving to Orlando- I'm almost there! Update 1/4 Arrival

I moved here via (KCMO, Dallas, Tex and Phoenix, Ar. Within last year. Was not prepared for Mold I thought the dust storms in Az were scary but Mold is really freaking me out plus tiny tiny ants invading .
And a crocodile really might be watching you right by your feet... I’m stil learning my way around. Love Celebration tho!
Good luck And I am still sorting thru stuff I thought I could not live without. Seems I kept the wrong stuff and miss the stuff I got rid of!

Long time local... born and raised, Florida and Disney girl...

If you have a mold problem, that means water... it could be a past leak or a current one, as well never turn the air-conditioner off.. If you have mold you really should have it looked at... if you are seeing inside that could mean its in the walls, which is never a good thing... the heat and humidity make it grow, perfect conditions for mold growing...

They are alligators, not crocodile's... for the most part in this area of Florida.... American Alligators have a U shaped nose and head, and a American crocodile has a V shaped and much more pointed.. Alligators prefer, freshwater, lakes, rivers, marshes, and they can be found in brackish water... which is a mix of Fresh and Saltwater... the American Crocodile, can be found in places like the Everglades, which is saltwater and fresh water or brackish water... I do believe this is the only place that you can find a American Crocodile and American Alligator and where they live together in the wild is in the Florida everglades..

ABSOLUTELY do not feed the Gators, and do not mess with them... Stay out of the river, lakes and marshes at night, you can night fish, just do not go swimming... During mating season they are very aggressive, and stay away from their nest, they will do whatever to protect it... As well watch your pets around the water...

Get a pest control company it is totally worth it ... for the ants, roaches, spiders, and all the other little bugs that we have here, again they love this climate...

Hi everybody! I'm back.

We went on a wild west inspired road trip to Yellowstone for some camping. So I got thrown majorly off track with this report.

So right now, what's going on is we have a house finding trip planned for October 2-9. We would rather go in September, but it's crunch time at my job right now so I really don't want to take time away.

Hopefully we'll find some options in October and have somewhere to move in mid November. Or else I'm not sure what we'll do.

We were about to start the mortgage applying and find a good lender. But we had a bit of a roadblock. So apparently lenders will pull all 3 of the major credit reports, Experian Transunion and Equifax. I thought I had access to all 3 of those credit scores through various credit cards. Credit looked good, so I went ahead and started a mortgage app with Navy Federal. I got denied the second it said it was going to do a credit score soft pull. Turns out two of the reports listed an account in default (which def is not mine) and that wasn't showing up on the credit scores that I could see.

So I got to put in disputes, Experian dropped it right away, and Equifax is still looking into it. So we just have to wait until Equifax drops that delinquent account (that is not mine) off my report. Then we can finally apply again.

Not stressful at all :(

As of right now, this house is at the top of our list. If it's still available in early October we're definitely going to take a look.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/9717-Crenshaw-Cir,-Clermont,-FL-34711_rb/53751507_zpid/
We might actually be done de-cluttering the house. Right now we've started slowly packing a few boxes. We're taking our time, and we look at everything to go into the boxes and are only packing things we know we want to keep. Hopefully that strategy can continue and we'll have time to get everything packed without being in 'we're moving in 2 days and half the house isn't packed just throw it into a box' mode.

Hi congrats on making the decision. I have been working on decluttering. I love the houses you are looking at, we are looking at ones with pools and screens. We want to enjoy our yard now that our kids are older.

I hope I am not hijaking your thread:goodvibes

We knew from when our DD was younger that we wanted to move to Florida. She is in a Florida college now and we area taking the leap. My DH has a final interview on Tuesday and it looks good. He would be working in Orlando and our DD goes to UCF so we will be looking in central Florida. I am nervous about selling our home and buying one at the same time. Renting won't work for us. I was reading the advice from locals and it is great. We are trying to narrow down an area. We could be there by the end of October.

Have a great day!

You're not hijacking at all. Chat away.

Yep, backyard is very high on our list. We want some sort of sheltered space where we can build an outdoor bar. I have big plans for the yard.

How did your DH's interview go?

Any decisions made on which neighborhoods you might be looking at? Right now Clermont is pretty high on our list.

I moved here via (KCMO, Dallas, Tex and Phoenix, Ar. Within last year. Was not prepared for Mold I thought the dust storms in Az were scary but Mold is really freaking me out plus tiny tiny ants invading .
And a crocodile really might be watching you right by your feet... I’m stil learning my way around. Love Celebration tho!
Good luck And I am still sorting thru stuff I thought I could not live without. Seems I kept the wrong stuff and miss the stuff I got rid of!

Haha, we kind of have similar moving paths. We started from Columbus OH, went to Austin TX for several years, have now been in KCMO for a few years and then Florida in November.

We are trying to be very methodical packing and make sure we don't pack things we aren't sure that we want.

The alligators do freak me out a bit.

Long time local... born and raised, Florida and Disney girl...

They are alligators, not crocodile's... for the most part in this area of Florida.... American Alligators have a U shaped nose and head, and a American crocodile has a V shaped and much more pointed.. Alligators prefer, freshwater, lakes, rivers, marshes, and they can be found in brackish water... which is a mix of Fresh and Saltwater... the American Crocodile, can be found in places like the Everglades, which is saltwater and fresh water or brackish water... I do believe this is the only place that you can find a American Crocodile and American Alligator and where they live together in the wild is in the Florida everglades..

ABSOLUTELY do not feed the Gators, and do not mess with them... Stay out of the river, lakes and marshes at night, you can night fish, just do not go swimming... During mating season they are very aggressive, and stay away from their nest, they will do whatever to protect it... As well watch your pets around the water...

Get a pest control company it is totally worth it ... for the ants, roaches, spiders, and all the other little bugs that we have here, again they love this climate...

Oh don't worry. We don't feed any wildlife except the birds with our feeder. We just got back from Yellowstone and my boyfriend and I had many rants on people feeding the bears or getting too close to buffalo.

I have no plans on swimming in lakes/river/ponds. I was never into that type of swimming, even up north where there are no alligators. I prefer a pool or water park.

We are also very aware that we should not walk our dog near water. I don't want to have to thrown down with an alligator to try to save my dog.

Pest control company, noted.

You're not hijacking at all. Chat away.

Yep, backyard is very high on our list. We want some sort of sheltered space where we can build an outdoor bar. I have big plans for the yard.

How did your DH's interview go?

Any decisions made on which neighborhoods you might be looking at? Right now Clermont is pretty high on our list.

Hello glad I can join in! It has been a rollercoaster ride with this move. He was suppose to land a job with Universal back in March then the pandemic hit and blew up everything. He started applying in May June and has had a couple of interviews. We are waiting to hear from the one he had last week. The company is taking their time. He does have another one today and applied for a few more this week. We are trying to figure out why he isn't getting a lot of responses and we came up with a couple. He maybe overqualified for a lot of the positions he is looking at. We are in CT and the pay is higher here. He is willing to take a pay cut to a point to move but it is right on the cusp of what they want to pay. He is an Information Technology Security Officer with a Master's Degree and over 12 years expereince so they look at his resume and probably don't even consider him. We wish they would cause like I said he would negotiate with salary and benefits. We will just keep plugging along.

We are looking more directly in the Orlando area. Our DD does on line at University of Central Florida and wants to transfer to the campus maybe next year. Our other teen is thinking there. Most of the technology jobs for my DH is either in Tampa, Orlando or Gainsville. We need to be closer to Orlando. We are looking at Hunter's Creek, Alafaya, Williamsburg, Altamonte Springs. I gues anywhere north, east and south. West of Orlando is a little further for our DD to travel when she goes to the campus. Our two teens work at Target here and want to transfer so want to be kind of close to one.

The area your looking at is very nice it is to remote for us. I was looking at Ocoee as a possibility but even there is no Target for them. We want to keep options open it makes it easier. The other problem is the houses are flying off in a day down there. We were in one bidding war when we thought he had a job. It is going to be very stressful trying to find a place to buy. We are not in a position to rent so that is out.

A good back yard is important we want a pool, with a screen room for a hot tub and would like an overhang also. We need a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom since the teens are going to stay at home while going to college. I am looking at least about 6 years or more. We also have cats which need some room. It is much easier to find a 3 bedroom then a 4 bedroom in our price range.

We have been decluttering f or about 6+ months now and we need to get ride of more. I have family in Florida so I know how the houses work for storage and it is not like up north. We were going to move ourselves with a Uhaul but it is too much for my DH so we are looking at professional movers and shipping a car. We have to tow a camper with one of our cars that will have the cats. It will be more comfortable for everyone.

It is nice to have someone to talk with who will be going around the same time as us. We were hoping to get there by September to give my DD a year to establish residency for college. Now the hope is to be there by December. Also I appreciate any suggestions from any memebers here. :goodvibes

Is November a definite for you?

Hello glad I can join in! It has been a rollercoaster ride with this move. He was suppose to land a job with Universal back in March then the pandemic hit and blew up everything. He started applying in May June and has had a couple of interviews. We are waiting to hear from the one he had last week. The company is taking their time. He does have another one today and applied for a few more this week. We are trying to figure out why he isn't getting a lot of responses and we came up with a couple. He maybe overqualified for a lot of the positions he is looking at. We are in CT and the pay is higher here. He is willing to take a pay cut to a point to move but it is right on the cusp of what they want to pay. He is an Information Technology Security Officer with a Master's Degree and over 12 years expereince so they look at his resume and probably don't even consider him. We wish they would cause like I said he would negotiate with salary and benefits. We will just keep plugging along.

We are looking more directly in the Orlando area. Our DD does on line at University of Central Florida and wants to transfer to the campus maybe next year. Our other teen is thinking there. Most of the technology jobs for my DH is either in Tampa, Orlando or Gainsville. We need to be closer to Orlando. We are looking at Hunter's Creek, Alafaya, Williamsburg, Altamonte Springs. I gues anywhere north, east and south. West of Orlando is a little further for our DD to travel when she goes to the campus. Our two teens work at Target here and want to transfer so want to be kind of close to one.

The area your looking at is very nice it is to remote for us. I was looking at Ocoee as a possibility but even there is no Target for them. We want to keep options open it makes it easier. The other problem is the houses are flying off in a day down there. We were in one bidding war when we thought he had a job. It is going to be very stressful trying to find a place to buy. We are not in a position to rent so that is out.

A good back yard is important we want a pool, with a screen room for a hot tub and would like an overhang also. We need a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom since the teens are going to stay at home while going to college. I am looking at least about 6 years or more. We also have cats which need some room. It is much easier to find a 3 bedroom then a 4 bedroom in our price range.

We have been decluttering f or about 6+ months now and we need to get ride of more. I have family in Florida so I know how the houses work for storage and it is not like up north. We were going to move ourselves with a Uhaul but it is too much for my DH so we are looking at professional movers and shipping a car. We have to tow a camper with one of our cars that will have the cats. It will be more comfortable for everyone.

It is nice to have someone to talk with who will be going around the same time as us. We were hoping to get there by September to give my DD a year to establish residency for college. Now the hope is to be there by December. Also I appreciate any suggestions from any memebers here. :goodvibes

Is November a definite for you?

Ah Universal, I've heard good things about them as an employer. Yeah, I totally understand the overqualified thing. I graduated law school in 2008 and couldn't find anything law related. So I started to apply to other places and a few of them said I was overqualified and they didn't even want to interview me because I'd just leave when something along my level came along. Which wasn't true at all, I'd have been so grateful to have been hired I'd have most likely stayed.

That's funny, you're looking almost everywhere except west and that seems to be where the majority of our search is. Though I wouldn't be opposed to north. Are there any nice neighborhoods you found to the north where the drive to the parks wouldn't be that long?

I hope we don't get in a bidding war :( Won't look forward to that. Especially since we don't have a lot of time to find a house.

We're not exactly sure we require a pool, but we wouldn't turn one down. Lots of people on the Moving to Orlando fb group were talking about converting to saltwater pools, but I"m still not sure I understand/believe the benefits.

We're packing up all our stuff and moving ourselves. We'll drive a truck and tow our car to get to my parents in PA, then we're picking up my older Challenger car and my little sister and bro in law will be driving one car while we drive the truck and tow the car. Our dog will be shoved in with us. At least if we're towing our car we can pack the car with delicate items.

So our apartment lease is up November 14. We just today confirmed we are moving out. If we don't have a house by November 14 we could probably find somewhere to stay for at most a month. I really don't want to sign a 6 month or longer lease.

My Dad lives in Clermont/Minneola. We spend 3-4 weeks a year there. If you have any questions about the area, ask away. It's a strong contender for the area we would relocate to once our son graduates from High School.

I am so happy for you!! My DH moves us around for his work and we hope to end up in FL someday. We just moved to East Texas from KCK in April.
Future tip: my favorite thing was sending pics from Florida of sunny days in shorts to our friends back in KC...where winter last till after Easter lol.

As a fairly recent new Florida resident I can say it's the best thing we ever did. Right now they are building westward out from Orlando. If you want a good investment buy in Clermont! You can get some amazing properties there for pretty short money and within the next 10 years or so your property value will skyrocket!

For the past two years, my daughter rented in Clermont and is now renting in Davenport and it has been a great location for her to easily get to the parks. Her rental in Clermont was getting a little shady which is why she moved over the summer to Davenport/Champion Gate area. We live about 2 hour SE of Orlando, close enough to easily go when we want but closer to the coast and no crowded roadways.
When we moved from Il to Fl six years ago, we moved ourselves but hired helpers on both ends to help with the loading and unloading - best money we spent!
Good luck!

Getting really annoyed at Equifax.

I did some Google searching and everyone else says that the other 2 credit report holders update theirs very quickly, but Equifax always takes it's good time.

Hurry up Equifax! I want to move this process along.

Getting really annoyed at Equifax.

I did some Google searching and everyone else says that the other 2 credit report holders update theirs very quickly, but Equifax always takes it's good time.

Hurry up Equifax! I want to move this process along.

My daughter spent about a month trying to get them to clear up the same thing you are working on with no success. She ended up going on LinkedIn and finding an Equifax VP. She sent an email and explained the situation and said "Please help!". I think she only had a week left before her closing. Someone replied to her email and cleared it up in a day or two.

I hope you can get this cleared up quickly and good luck with your move.:)

This thread title caught my eye. 😀

As a frequent visitor to Florida from Scotland I've got to ask, what is 'Florida Man' ? Im guessing its not very complimentary ? 😂 🤷‍♂️

I've always wanted to move to Florida but I know I never will, only 2 of my 3 kids want to make the move so I won't go if they all won't move (they're all adults, I'm not leaving little kids).

One thing that I've noticed from people chiming in is that nobody has mentioned snakes. I've been told that they are pretty bad down there. If I would every move there, I wouldn't be able to do a house b/c I'm deathly afraid of snakes so I would most likely have to look for a condo or townhouse. Florida residents - is my information wrong about this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts