Motion sickness

tigerlily02

Earning My Ears
I thought I read somewhere on here (but can not find it now) that the best location to avoid motion sickness is midlevel and forward. Is this correct? My DH suffers from occasional vertigo and I want to make sure that we have chosen the most suitable room to avoid this.

I thought I read somewhere on here (but can not find it now) that the best location to avoid motion sickness is midlevel and forward. Is this correct? My DH suffers from occasional vertigo and I want to make sure that we have chosen the most suitable room to avoid this.

The prevailing theory on motion onboard is mid-ship and lower is best.

http://www.llgh.org/cruise-ship-tips-how-to-avoid-sea-sickness.html

http://www.wanderplex.com/2013/04/18/the-best-spot-on-a-cruise-ship-for-seasickness-sufferers/

I'd ask his Dr. about getting the trans-dermal patch, just to be prepared. I get seasick and location has never made a difference for me.

Used the patch on my cruise in February, no motion sickness. We were mid-ship, deck 8.

I think I would wait to use the medicine. I am highly susceptible to motion sickness but on a 5 day cruise I didn't use any aids. My 5 yr old got sick on the 4th day of a 5 day cruise. We were aft,,midship.

The best location is dependent on the sea state the ship is in.
If the ship is traveling "into" the waves the best place will be as far aft and mid to low level as the bow/front of the ship will be heaving up and down.

If the ship is in a cross sea, the waves on the side, the best place would be as low as possible as the ship will be rolling side to side. The ships do have computer controlled stabilizers to help minimize roll but they never seem to eliminate it.

If the ship is in a following sea, the waves from behind, there is no good place.

I think your best overall bet is to be low.

The seas seem to be worst leaving and returning to PC. We had the early dinner and we could feel the ship moving at dinner as we crossed the Gulf Stream. The ship returns to PC in the middle of the night (very early AM), so it is not as noticeable (ZZZZ). Lower mid-ship is the best - if you plan on spending a lot of time in your cabin.

I thought I read where the first night people were getting sick eating in the MDR because it was too low on the ship? :confused3

When I spoke with the agent making reservations they told me mid to aft but didn't mention what level was best. I would guess mid (not highest and not too low). Be careful with the patches too. I have had several people tell me they would never use them again because of what it did to their eyes. Everyone is different but you never know. Take some ginger pills and lozenges and pick up some Bonine to try BEFORE your cruise to see how it affects you. Also take it a day before, the morning of and for a few days after you get back. You should be fine!

Have a great trip!! :beach:

I thought I read where the first night people were getting sick eating in the MDR because it was too low on the ship? :confused3

When I spoke with the agent making reservations they told me mid to aft but didn't mention what level was best. I would guess mid (not highest and not too low). Be careful with the patches too. I have had several people tell me they would never use them again because of what it did to their eyes. Everyone is different but you never know. Take some ginger pills and lozenges and pick up some Bonine to try BEFORE your cruise to see how it affects you. Also take it a day before, the morning of and for a few days after you get back. You should be fine!

Have a great trip!! :beach:

We got sick the first night of our last cruise but it had nothing to do with low level of the MDRs. It has to do with going through the Florida Straits. We and many others got very sick and all the CMs were saying it was due to the Straits and we had very rough seas. We were also very far forward which, IMO, made things worse. We did a Bahama cruise in 2012 and had an aft stateroom and had zero problems with the Straits. I'm sure that doesn't help the OP at all but I will probably never choose a forward stateroom again.

I think if one is at all prone to motion sickness, bringing the scopolamine patch is a good idea.

If concerned about possible side effects, ask the doctor for a prescription that includes a couple of extra ones, then test it out well before the cruise. Though you won't be able to tell what it's doing with your motion sickness while on land, at least you can see what (if any) side effects you experience, both while wearing it and after taking it off.

I did this, noticed that my only side effect was dry mouth, and knew that this was much preferable to feeling nauseated! The patch is my friend. :)

We got sick the first night of our last cruise but it had nothing to do with low level of the MDRs. It has to do with going through the Florida Straits. We and many others got very sick and all the CMs were saying it was due to the Straits and we had very rough seas. We were also very far forward which, IMO, made things worse. We did a Bahama cruise in 2012 and had an aft stateroom and had zero problems with the Straits. I'm sure that doesn't help the OP at all but I will probably never choose a forward stateroom again.

Thanks! It is good to know it isn't because of the location of the MDR.
I guess it just depends on the seas and how rough it is going through the Straits. I like to think that for the most part people don't get sick. If they did no one would crusie. :eek::laughing: Here is to hoping for the best for all of us! :goodvibes

Thanks! It is good to know it isn't because of the location of the MDR.
I guess it just depends on the seas and how rough it is going through the Straits. I like to think that for the most part people don't get sick. If they did no one would crusie. :eek::laughing: Here is to hoping for the best for all of us! :goodvibes

I'm sure your right but I will never set foot on a cruise ship again without taking Bonine first. Lesson learned. :laughing:

Thanks all for your thoughts on this! I was thinking of changing the location of our stateroom from an aft location on 5 to a forward location on 6, but after your suggestions I think I will keep it where it is and hope for the best. My hubby already takes meclizine for vertigo, so he knows how it will affect him, but I'll make sure to try it out before hand as well!

we like Bonine -- once a day and non-drowsy

we take it before the motion sickness may strike, it's much easier and effective to prevent than recover

I think if one is at all prone to motion sickness, bringing the scopolamine patch is a good idea.

If concerned about possible side effects, ask the doctor for a prescription that includes a couple of extra ones, then test it out well before the cruise. Though you won't be able to tell what it's doing with your motion sickness while on land, at least you can see what (if any) side effects you experience, both while wearing it and after taking it off.

I did this, noticed that my only side effect was dry mouth, and knew that this was much preferable to feeling nauseated! The patch is my friend. :)

My husband is the same, patch all the way. Dry mouth is annoying but far better than feeling sick. We tested at home prior to the trip

It's down to the prevailing weather and sea conditions the route the ship is taking against the current of the sea, and the hight if the waves and the stabilisers use and ballast weight.

This is the best article there is.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/prevent-motion-sickness-cruise-1777.html

Dream and Fantasy are new ships with latest technology and fully stablized and has special paint on the hull to allow it to glide in the water.

Ships captains will do thier best to avoid bad weather so the risk of sny sickness is minimal whatever deck you are on.

Now the " low" is best is a myth posted around by a few posters.

Ask yourself simple science questions to get the correct answer.

1. Where in the ship is the sea next to and where are the engines?
  2. What part of the ship hits the water first.
  3. Where would vibrations from the engines be the worst?
  4. Where in the ship would vibration from the waves be at there worst.
  5. If someone is claustrophobic where on the ship is the best and worst places ?
this article is written by people who study this and what they say.

Climb to the top deck on the ship and look out at the horizon if you start to feel ill. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), keeping your eyes on one fixed point reduces aggravating stimuli that can cause symptoms.

Sea sickness is caused when your ears detect movement but your eyes say walls do not move, to correct it you need fresh air snd look at the horizon at the widest point.

You do "Not" want to be near the vibration of the sea, or the engines, and you need fresh air not pumped air.

All decks are joined together but the ship will flex in the water, so that it doesn't "snap" like tall buildings they do move.

A lot depends on so many variables you can't get an exact answer, waves, -different types and height, ship direction ,to sea direction, to current, wind, and if ballast is taken on.

If top deck right moves right, bottom deck left can move left.

What we do know is very very forward where a ship cuts into waves is the worst, it takes the energy from them, bottom decks get a lot of small movement due to waves, this is ironed out to a Gentle wave the higher you go, do you see the water in the pools on the top decksrock slightly with a slight wave one way then a return.

My daughter gets bad motion sickness and seasickness, it's worst on small tender boats that are low in the water and enclosed. We have sailed on DCL through the back end of Two hurricanes and one severe storm in the Med. The best place was our room deck 8, she couldn't eat in the restaurants on the lower decks but could have room service in our rooms.

If anyone has seen the dancers and performers trying to do a show in the WDW when it's rough, they will know exactly where the movement is, very funny to see a jugular try to do his act in tough seas with a tennis ball, axe and bowling ball and it keeps moving.

For those who say low is best, where do you spend most of your day? The pools and slides and sun beds are on top of the ship, so why say low is best if then to stay on top deck all day and it's ok?

If the top decks were bad the water would run out of the pools.

With motion sickness say in a car, the driver doesn't get sick, but if your not driving and reading you can get that sick feeling? Well same on the ship, in an inside room, ears note we are moving, eyes say walls can't move, so give the old brain some information concentrate on the horizon and unless you have an underlying Heath condition then it will correct itself.

So to be safe, get a midship, mid deck room, and with a verandah if you can. Get fresh air, drink light with water avoid fatty food, yes I know it's a cruise, we all do it.

I have been to the medical centre which is forward and low, doctors have said it's built in the worst place for movement, I have spoken to ships engineers who disagree with low is best. They say it depends on do many things.

The price of a room goes up the higher you are up a ship, if there bad for seasickness would that be the case?

It's not tradition ( it's not buying antiques) it's because people pay for value.

Finally if DCL opened up 2015 summer say on Monday week and said all rooms ( bar concierge) are the same price, what would everyone here books. I have never read of anyone refusing an upgrade to a higher deck room or verandah.

Thanks DisneyFantasy for the article! I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather and maybe a complimentary upgrade in stateroom!

DisneyFantasy.....for someone who is SO nervous about getting sick on the ship (first cruise) but couldn't resist booking a 1 bedroom suite (deck 12 Dream), you have reassured me some :goodvibes

You make some very interesting and sensible points. Fingers crossed we are all fine in our deck 12 suite.

It's 7 weeks away until we sail and I am starting to get very worried about it. My 2 kids both usually feel unwell on long flights so I am worried about them too. Am going to get some Dramamine and bonine when we arrive in the US so we will be well prepared :thumbsup2

It's down to the prevailing weather and sea conditions the route the ship is taking against the current of the sea, and the hight if the waves and the stabilisers use and ballast weight.

This is the best article there is.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/prevent-motion-sickness-cruise-1777.html

Dream and Fantasy are new ships with latest technology and fully stablized and has special paint on the hull to allow it to glide in the water.

Ships captains will do thier best to avoid bad weather so the risk of sny sickness is minimal whatever deck you are on.

Now the " low" is best is a myth posted around by a few posters.

Ask yourself simple science questions to get the correct answer.

1. Where in the ship is the sea next to and where are the engines?
  2. What part of the ship hits the water first.
  3. Where would vibrations from the engines be the worst?
  4. Where in the ship would vibration from the waves be at there worst.
  5. If someone is claustrophobic where on the ship is the best and worst places ?
this article is written by people who study this and what they say.

Sea sickness is caused when your ears detect movement but your eyes say walls do not move, to correct it you need fresh air snd look at the horizon at the widest point.

You do "Not" want to be near the vibration of the sea, or the engines, and you need fresh air not pumped air.

All decks are joined together but the ship will flex in the water, so that it doesn't "snap" like tall buildings they do move.

A lot depends on so many variables you can't get an exact answer, waves, -different types and height, ship direction ,to sea direction, to current, wind, and if ballast is taken on.

If top deck right moves right, bottom deck left can move left.

What we do know is very very forward where a ship cuts into waves is the worst, it takes the energy from them, bottom decks get a lot of small movement due to waves, this is ironed out to a Gentle wave the higher you go, do you see the water in the pools on the top decksrock slightly with a slight wave one way then a return.

My daughter gets bad motion sickness and seasickness, it's worst on small tender boats that are low in the water and enclosed. We have sailed on DCL through the back end of Two hurricanes and one severe storm in the Med. The best place was our room deck 8, she couldn't eat in the restaurants on the lower decks but could have room service in our rooms.

If anyone has seen the dancers and performers trying to do a show in the WDW when it's rough, they will know exactly where the movement is, very funny to see a jugular try to do his act in tough seas with a tennis ball, axe and bowling ball and it keeps moving.

For those who say low is best, where do you spend most of your day? The pools and slides and sun beds are on top of the ship, so why say low is best if then to stay on top deck all day and it's ok?

If the top decks were bad the water would run out of the pools.

With motion sickness say in a car, the driver doesn't get sick, but if your not driving and reading you can get that sick feeling? Well same on the ship, in an inside room, ears note we are moving, eyes say walls can't move, so give the old brain some information concentrate on the horizon and unless you have an underlying Heath condition then it will correct itself.

So to be safe, get a midship, mid deck room, and with a verandah if you can. Get fresh air, drink light with water avoid fatty food, yes I know it's a cruise, we all do it.

I have been to the medical centre which is forward and low, doctors have said it's built in the worst place for movement, I have spoken to ships engineers who disagree with low is best. They say it depends on do many things.

The price of a room goes up the higher you are up a ship, if there bad for seasickness would that be the case?

It's not tradition ( it's not buying antiques) it's because people pay for value.

Finally if DCL opened up 2015 summer say on Monday week and said all rooms ( bar concierge) are the same price, what would everyone here books. I have never read of anyone refusing an upgrade to a higher deck room or verandah.

We ALWAYS book deck 2 mid and I get motion sickness from MOVIES so I have to be really careful, we had two rooms 1 deck 2 and 1 deck 8 ( or 7) anyway I went up there one time and 10 min later had to leave... Ick! We were crossing the gulf stream but my room on deck 2 was so much better for me.
Oh and we are the ones that would say no to any upgrade including club level. Nope, we like deck 2 oceanview that is why we book it:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter