Motion sickness and Universal??

laceemouse

laceemouse
Help! I am a WDW nut who has only been to US like twice and has never been to IOA. The last time we went to US I was pregnant and didn't ride anything. My problem, we are going to Orlando for Thanksgiving and the week after and dh wants to do Universal (both parks.) I have severe motion sickness, I mean severe, will I be able to do anything at US or IOA? I can hardly stand soaring and the non-moving side or mission space made me a little ill (I will never do it again.) Please don't suggest meds, I had a bad reaction to Bonine and I need the highest dose of regular dramamine just to be able to ride in the car on a flat road.
What will I be able to do besides sit on the bench? This is the main reason I have never wanted to go to US, and IOA for sure.

Help! I am a WDW nut who has only been to US like twice and has never been to IOA. The last time we went to US I was pregnant and didn't ride anything. My problem, we are going to Orlando for Thanksgiving and the week after and dh wants to do Universal (both parks.) I have severe motion sickness, I mean severe, will I be able to do anything at US or IOA? I can hardly stand soaring and the non-moving side or mission space made me a little ill (I will never do it again.) Please don't suggest meds, I had a bad reaction to Bonine and I need the highest dose of regular dramamine just to be able to ride in the car on a flat road.
What will I be able to do besides sit on the bench? This is the main reason I have never wanted to go to US, and IOA for sure.
Why don't you tell us which rides at Disney you can do successfully and we can recommend accordingly. We want you to have a great time but it sounds like your options are extremely limited.

I know you said to not suggest medicines, but have you tried
http://www.hylands.com/products/motionsickness.php

Also depending on the root of the problem the traditional antihysitamine products might actually make your symptoms worse. You might actually need a decongetant to aid in keeping excess fluid off the middle/inner ear.

Typically montion sickness is caused by the brain receiving conflicting information. Getting to the core of the conflict is vital to figuring out how to treat it.

here are a couple of good articles
http://www.medicinenet.com/motion_sickness/article.htm
http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/motion.htm

I, too, suffer from motion sickness due to an inner ear trauma. Something as simple as looking under the bed for a shoe with my head tilted for too long will ruin my day. I cannot go on Soarin, nor Mission Space.

That said, I LOVE Universal. Sure, there are rides I have to skip, but the theming of the parks, the atmosphere, the food and the cocktails make it extremely worthwhile. At Universal, Shrek is okay (you might have to shut your eyes for a minute or two of the film), Twister is good, Jaws, Disaster, Men In Black (if you can handle say three spins of the Teacups), Terminator, ET ... then there's shows, too. The Monster Makeup Show is HILARIOUS. There's the Beetlejuice show, too.

Now, on the IOA side, there's a lot less for those of us with severe vertigo/motion sickness issues to do. But the rides you can do are really cool. Spiderman is AMAZING. There is a part of the ride you'll want to shut your eyes on if you suffer from motion sickness. You'll know it when it comes. There's a Popeye raft ride similar to Kali River Rapids. Very cool. It's much longer than Kali and much funnier, too. I'm sort of depressed after Kali -- not to mention hot. Popeye makes you laugh like a seven-year-old. Then there's Posidean. Sort of a walk-through show thing. Eh, it's okay. Not sure what's going to be around in that area as they're melding it with the new Harry Potter land, so who knows how long any of that stuff will be open.

Get lunch at Mythos :)

Have fun!

Thanks so much for the responses! I have had motion sickness all my life, my mother's dad did too, and he lived to be like 99 and never got over it! If I lay down without a pillow I will get dizzy, that's how bad it is!

I can ride a merry-go-round, but by the time it is over I am ready to get off. I can handle big raft rides like Kali River. I can't do tea cups. Like I said, I survived Soarin', and I'm glad I did it, but the non-moving side of MS nearly did me in. I can handle those circle vision movies if I am not moving because I can close my eyes. The little drop on POTC is enough thrills for me! Slow, dark rides are my favorite :)

I will read the articles for sure. I have always been scared to try homeopathic remedies because if I get sick the day is ruined, but I may try one of them and start with the less intense rides and see how I do.

PlutoLuvr...thank you so much! I am going to print out your list. I knew there would be much more for me at US than IOA, my hubby and teens can do the crazy stuff. I agree with you, I do really enjoy the atmosphere of the parks, eating out, people watching, and even the colors and designs of the buildings. If a motion on a ride is fleeting I may be able to handle it. People who don't have motion sickness have a hard time understanding it. I have gotten sick on a very smooth, short plane ride. I will feel sick afterwards for days if I don't take something. It starts with a headache, so something that just treats nausea doesn't cut it!

Thanks to all of you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter