Most flattering ungrannyish bathing suit?

CinRell

DIS Veteran
Hello all!
I just lost a few pounds (about 50 since last summer) and my bathing suits that I LOVED don't fit anymore. At the time they were flattering but now I realize that style isn't flattering on me anymore. I"m still not a small girl (size 16) and tall (5'9")...
I need a new bathing suit and am wondering what's the most flattering style? I'm not a huge fan of the skirted kind (tho I used to be)...
I'd like somehting I can lounge around in.. go to the beach.. water parks (yes, see this IS DIS related!), tan... etc etc etc...

If these suits are online I"d love a link as I'd really like to order one for this weekend!

I think Lands End has a great selection for almost everyone. I had not put on a bathing suit in years and bought one for our Disney trip last year. I was very comfortable in it and it was stylish even though I am a grandma! Some of the suits even make you look slimmer. Like that!

I have had good luck at the newport-news.com website finding swimsuits. :) They have lots of styles. I'm a 12-14, formerly much larger, and have had good luck there in many different sizes.

I second the Lands' End suits! I finally broke down and got one 2 years ago and will never buy another brand. I am not a small gal myself (14) and like to keep my middle covered, but can't stand a one piece.

I love the Women's Sport Tankini for $59 (Item #07327-6AL9 ) since we have a boat and enjoy lots of water sports. It has great support and I love the fact that the "swim panty" under the shorts is made from real swim suit fabric... not that mesh stuff! It also stays in place- great for water skiiing and jumping in the deep end of a pool... no more "atomic wedgies" :rotfl2:

When I am not in the water I look like I have on shorts and a tank- I even garden in it while at home. My suit is 2 years old and still looks (and feels!) brand new... well worth the money!!

I forgot to mention that the L.E. Sport Tankini also comes in a long torso for just a few dollars more (as do many of their suits). I know what you mean about the skirt, but I do like the shorts look.... and congrats on the weight loss!!! :cheer2:

You can also check out QVC's website. They have a whole line of swimsuits that are designed to hide/de-emphasize problem areas. Some of them do have the skirt, some don't. Good luck!

Good for you! I also like the Land's End suits. They're great quality and quite flattering. I would try a tankini - they have good coverage while looking more modern than a basic one-piece suit. Plus you can get cover-up shorts or a cover-up skirt at Land's End, too. They have tons of pretty styles.

I think Land's End also has a "virtual model" that you can use. You put in your measurements and see what the suit would look like on "you." They also have helpful keys in their catalog when swimsuit shopping -- whether you're shaped like a "triangle," "rectangle," etc. it will list which suits are most flattering for your shape.

Good luck!

Cyberswim.com has the best bathing suits. They are all made of "powernet" materials that holds you in, and they come in many sizes. The styles are very flattering.

bnf2 said:
I forgot to mention that the L.E. Sport Tankini also comes in a long torso for just a few dollars more (as do many of their suits). I know what you mean about the skirt, but I do like the shorts look.... and congrats on the weight loss!!! :cheer2:
Would you recommend a long torso one? I haven't purchased a two piece in a long time but now I'm considering it.

T. Lynn said:
Would you recommend a long torso one? I haven't purchased a two piece in a long time but now I'm considering it.

That I am usure about as I am just 5'4"; I just noticed they offered the long torso option... sorry I can't help you out there :confused3

Thank you all so so so much! I am looking at all of these links.. decisions decisions:)

Thanks for this thread. I just ordered this one from Land's End:

Women's Sport Tankini for $59 (Item #07327-6AL9 )

We're going to Knoebels in August and I wanted something much nicer for my size.

The Land's Ends suits are nice. I am tall (6'1") and do order the long torso. I think at 5'9" you might consider it. Another nice thing about them is if you have a Sears store, you can return your item there if you need to. They also sell the suits in the Sears stores, so if you would like, you can check them out there. Happy shopping and congratulations on that weight loss!

Cyberswim.com for the Miracle Suit. They have long torso, and almost all of them have underwire in the top. I personally have difficulty with fitting both aspects, and I can do that with the Miracle Suit.

Roxanne (which Macy's and Bloomingdales carry) come in separates that run by bra size!

Are you large busted?

If not, go for the tankini's (2 piece tank and panty).

If you are, do not use a tankini. They make your chest look like to torpedos ready to launch and are very unflattering in the shoulders. A halter type is best for big chested ladies.

Miraclesuits are great bathing suits and will make you look like a 12/14 instead of your current 16!

BTW, congratulations on your lose.

Have you tried My Virtual Model? It has limitations, but it does give you a better perception of what the suit will look like on a real body(instead of a stick model). Here is the link to all the companies where you can virtually try on clothes-Land End is one of them-and many have swimsuits to try on.
My virtual model link
Don't believe the "regular sizes" category-many of the others also have larger sizes to try on.

I have the slender tunic from lands end in size 18, and it is very comfortable and supportive on top. Plus the legs are boy-cut so they are lower, but not shorts. I've tried tankinis, but always feel I have rolls coming out from under the top. :sad2:

Also try Penney's.

Also being a plus sized girl, I bought a set of shorts/tank swimsuit.

The shorts have a bikini lining on the inside, but fit and act like shorts. I was VERY comfortable in the suit on our Cruise last year.

Good luck.

Here is the link to the suit I am talking about....

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=597&CatID=34438&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=0d16ec3&ProdSeq=5&Cat=plus+size&Dep=&PCat=&PCatID=34423&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=26&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&RefPageName=CategoryAll.aspx&RefCatID=34423&RefDeptID=597&Page=1&CmCatId=597|28443|34423|34438

Hi Ya'll

I'm a 5'11" size 16 and I only buy the long torso styles from Lands End (after trying tONS of others!!) I LOVe the tankinis (especially the halter style!) I do often add on some cute board shorts from Old Navy (or just borrow my husbands swim trunks) - it makes the look much "younger" and the shorts act as a cute cover-up. (All the young female students where I work wear the board shorts...) then when you take then off you still have a nice "grown-up" swim suit too! Lands End suits are so nice - the longs are long - and cut like a real person...plus, Lands End has a GREAt return policy if it doesnt' work out. Good luck and good job with the weight loss!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter