Mosquitoes at BLT

PA DisneyFan

Earning My Ears
Anyone who has stayed at BLT: have you noticed alot of Mosquitos or other bugs while outside enjoying the balcony?
We have our first DVC trip coming up in about a week!
Thanks!:goodvibes

Anyone who has stayed at BLT: have you noticed alot of Mosquitos or other bugs while outside enjoying the balcony?
We have our first DVC trip coming up in about a week!
Thanks!:goodvibes

No, didn't see one mosquito....and it was summertime. (But watch out for those birds at the pool :eek: ).

Have fun! We really enjoyed BLT.

We are here right now, staying Beach Club, and we've been eaten alive everywhere.

We are at BLT now and mosquitos are everywhere at the resort. Around doors that lead outside - the floor/ground is covered with them. Did not have any problems with mosquitos at the parks, though.

Bummer! I was hoping to spend some time especially in the evening out enjoying the nice Florida weather on the balcony. I really don't want to be bothered by pesky mosquitoes!
:sad2:

We were at BLT earlier this month. It looked like the walls were moving outside the top of the world lounge.
Good luck, we purchased bug spray.

Must be a time of the year thing- we were there last June and I was on that balcony just about every night without any mosquito problem.

It depends on the weather. If it's at one resort it's usually at all of them. I'd bring some bug repellent just in case.

We had an odd experience earlier this week. We were on our balcony watching hallow wishes and didn't notice any. We had left our patio door open so we could hear the audio on our TV. When we got back in we had quite the collection on our ceiling. And, given all the smudges and marks, we weren't the only ones to have the issue.

We just left OKW, was there for 2 weeks. We didn't sit out at all because of them. We would have to go into our room quickly trying to keep them from coming in. We were there in the spring and didn't have one problem. I also got a few bites at the Halloween Party while I was waiting for family to get off of Splash Mountain.

We just got home yesterday from BLT and they were everywhere around the lake. I have pics but can't figure out how to post them

We just got home today and stayed at the BWV and the mosquitos are really bad. Anyone going should packing bug spray. We had some and started using it. The news has been reporting that the problem is very bad and that they are going to start spraying. It had something to do with all of the rain that had recently gotten. We walked home from the Studios one evening and we were eaten alive. We could see them landing on each other and were swatting them as we nearly tried to outrun them. It was right under the overpass that we really got hit hard. My granddaughters and the rest of us were bitten 10 times each easily. After that night we tried to keep long sleeves on and use the spray, but I got big on the face and my DD got bit on her hands. We passed on the outside movies at the resort because of the problems with the mosquitos.

We were at BLT for nine nights starting October 12th and we only had problems with midges one night, we learned quickly to turn the light off before we opened the door to the balcony. No mosquitoes but it didn't rain much during those 9 nights either.

Mosquitoes are a fact of life in Florida, after it rains the mosquitoes come out. And it rains most days at WDW. So bring some bug spray or that new clip on type http://www.off.com/ClipOn.aspx and have it attached to the chair on the balcony.

Just back and after all our trips where no-one was bitten this trip we were all bitten (staying at AKL but can't confirm that was where we were bitten). DD had bites that were oozing green pus and making her legs swell - the resort called 911 and apparently the paramedics have had lots of calls with severe allergic reactions to the bites. Almost a week later and they look much better but have a large brown/red bruise looking surround.

It's been on the Orlando news about the problem all week. :(

I'm surprised. I didn't think that Disney allowed bugs. But seriously, I thought they sprayed everything to death.

Nope not ever seen or felt one bug flying on the balcony...

We were there on Sunday night and there were thousands of mosquito looking bugs which I think they called midgets. My wife went out on the balcony and when she opened the door, hundreds of them came into the room. They apparently don't bite, and are attracted to the light. We ended up going up to the TOTW (They were in the halls on the first floor by the doors to the pool) and there were thousands of them outside up there. I stood outside to watch the fireworks and didn't get bitten at all. It was just a bit creepy when they all were in the room.

The next morning, there were some on my balcony floor, but I noticed a bird cleaning them up. As well, there were a bunch of dead ones on the walkway to Contemporary.

We were there on Sunday night and there were thousands of mosquito looking bugs which I think they called midgets. My wife went out on the balcony and when she opened the door, hundreds of them came into the room.

We were also at BLT last week, and we actually took a broom out to the balcony, and swept them all up (we could have used a dustpan there were so many).

We loved the few stays we have had at BLT, but if you use the balcony to watch the fireworks, make sure you close your doors. Of course you want to listen to the music on your tv so you turn up the tv to full volume and leave the doors open.

What a mistake, we spent the next few hours killing the bugs. We stayed in March and in October and same result both times.

So keep the door closed if you don't love bugs.

Have a Disney day......:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter