*More* Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews! (May 9 - May 17) With lots of pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread! This has to be one of the best dining review threads I've every read, period! My wife is vegan, and I'm now a vegetarian (as is our infant son) so it's so great to see an EXTENSIVE thread focusing on vegan food at WDW. I had ruled out dining at 'Ohana, but you've definitely changed my mind on this place. Amazing! Maybe we'll try dining there in Nov. Thanks for all your hard work!:thumbsup2

OH MY GOD!!! My eyes just popped out of my little vegetarian head!! All your reviews have been great, but the Ohana review just blew everything out of the water! I love Chef TJ so I didn't know what to expect when he wasn't going to be there. Everything looks amazing and I am so jealous!!

My jaw dropped when I saw that the Plaza waitress put that binder on your table. I would've asked for a manager IMMEDIATELY. I hate when people try to make me feel that my diet is an inconvenience, just because it is my choice. What if I had a severe allergy to something and my diet was a matter of living or dying? You know what I mean? That is ridiculous!

I am hopefully going back to Disney soon so I'll be studying these reviews again shortly when it's time for me to make my ADR's!

I just found this thread and have only read the first few pages of your reviews, but want to say a huge THANK YOU! :goodvibes My sister is a vegetarian with more vegan-leaning tendencies than she's had on past WDW trips, and we were getting worried about her options for our upcoming trip. Your reviews and pictures are SO helpful! I'm happy to see the great options at some of the places we have booked, and some of your reviews have convinced me to try to get into places that we don't have booked right now (no easy feat since we are well into our 90 day mark and will be there during free dining, but it seems worth it to try! :laughing:). I also have to say we found our experience at the Plaza during our trip last year to be just as disappointing as yours - long wait, inattentive/ rude service, and bad food. Luckily, as your reviews are showing, there are lots of other great places to eat! :thumbsup2

Our server gave us a bag for out leftovers and we left the restaurant (afer paying and leaving a huge tip, of course!)

This might be a weird question, but did you eat your leftovers while you were still at Disney or waited until you got home? I know the hotel rooms don't have microwaves and I am just curious as to what you did with your leftovers!

Thanks for the wonderful reviews! I am a vegetarian and very much enjoyed your trip report/dining review!

Wow, I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread! This has to be one of the best dining review threads I've every read, period! My wife is vegan, and I'm now a vegetarian (as is our infant son) so it's so great to see an EXTENSIVE thread focusing on vegan food at WDW. I had ruled out dining at 'Ohana, but you've definitely changed my mind on this place. Amazing! Maybe we'll try dining there in Nov. Thanks for all your hard work!:thumbsup2

I'm so glad you liked the review! I tried to write something I'd like to read as a vegan before leaving for WDW. So hopefully I succeeded!

OH MY GOD!!! My eyes just popped out of my little vegetarian head!! All your reviews have been great, but the Ohana review just blew everything out of the water! I love Chef TJ so I didn't know what to expect when he wasn't going to be there. Everything looks amazing and I am so jealous!!

My jaw dropped when I saw that the Plaza waitress put that binder on your table. I would've asked for a manager IMMEDIATELY. I hate when people try to make me feel that my diet is an inconvenience, just because it is my choice. What if I had a severe allergy to something and my diet was a matter of living or dying? You know what I mean? That is ridiculous!

I am hopefully going back to Disney soon so I'll be studying these reviews again shortly when it's time for me to make my ADR's!

I'm glad the reviews are helpful :thumbsup2 And, yeah, I definitely won't be back to the Plaza! That's the first time I've felt that way about any Disney restaurant. Good thing there are plenty more to try!

I just found this thread and have only read the first few pages of your reviews, but want to say a huge THANK YOU! :goodvibes My sister is a vegetarian with more vegan-leaning tendencies than she's had on past WDW trips, and we were getting worried about her options for our upcoming trip. Your reviews and pictures are SO helpful! I'm happy to see the great options at some of the places we have booked, and some of your reviews have convinced me to try to get into places that we don't have booked right now (no easy feat since we are well into our 90 day mark and will be there during free dining, but it seems worth it to try! :laughing:). I also have to say we found our experience at the Plaza during our trip last year to be just as disappointing as yours - long wait, inattentive/ rude service, and bad food. Luckily, as your reviews are showing, there are lots of other great places to eat! :thumbsup2

I can't believe you had such a similar experience at the Plaza! I definitely won't be back, as much as I hate to say that about any Disney-owned establishment. But, like you said, there are plenty more restaurants to try on future trips! The Plaza will not be missed :lmao:

This might be a weird question, but did you eat your leftovers while you were still at Disney or waited until you got home? I know the hotel rooms don't have microwaves and I am just curious as to what you did with your leftovers!

This might be a weird answer, but we made a make-shift cooler out of our hotel room's trash can. There was a new, clean bag in it when we got back to our room, and we filled that up with ice. Then we put the food containers into two new bags we had gotten while shopping that day. Then we covered that up with ice, as well.

We had to get creative! haha. I didn't have anything to put the food in on the drive home, though. But since there was no meat, eggs, or dairy in the food, I wasn't worried about anything going bad. It was only an 9-hour drive home the next day. So it wasn't too bad.

Thanks for the wonderful reviews! I am a vegetarian and very much enjoyed your trip report/dining review!

I'm glad you've enjoyed the reviews!

great tr subscribing :goodvibes

Thank you :)

Yay for this thread!!! DD is a vegeatarian so I am really jazzed to find restaurants and menu options for her and half the time we will eat meatless as well so this is great!
I'm off to read from the begining!:goodvibes

Your dining review was absolutely fantastic! By far the best dining review I have read on the DIS. Loved all the info and all the great pics.

You get the Jeff Goldblum Stamp of Approval!

2niz1iv.jpg

Yay for this thread!!! DD is a vegeatarian so I am really jazzed to find restaurants and menu options for her and half the time we will eat meatless as well so this is great!
I'm off to read from the begining!:goodvibes

I'm glad the thread was helpful! :goodvibes

Your dining review was absolutely fantastic! By far the best dining review I have read on the DIS. Loved all the info and all the great pics.

You get the Jeff Goldblum Stamp of Approval!

2niz1iv.jpg

Oh, wow! Thank you so much! This is such an honor. I love Jeff Goldblum. :thumbsup2

So sad to see the review come to an end...... VERY good note taking during dinners.... your pictures were AWESOME. I can't wait to eat at Disney as a vegetarian myself (lacto-ovo).....

May I ask what kind of camera you used? Your pictures are so clear, much clearer than many of the pictures I've seen on the board...... really makes you feel you are right there..... definately captures the ambiance!

Again, thank you so much - you obviously put a lot of time and effort into this review and it has helped so many people!:hug:

So sad to see the review come to an end...... VERY good note taking during dinners.... your pictures were AWESOME. I can't wait to eat at Disney as a vegetarian myself (lacto-ovo).....

May I ask what kind of camera you used? Your pictures are so clear, much clearer than many of the pictures I've seen on the board...... really makes you feel you are right there..... definately captures the ambiance!

Again, thank you so much - you obviously put a lot of time and effort into this review and it has helped so many people!:hug:

They're not quite over! I still have our "Leaving Day" and a few snacks I picked up to take home to post :goodvibes

And I actually didn't take any notes. I just take so many pictures, I can look through them and see what happened nearly every five minutes of our vacation. hahaha. I'm just kidding about the five minutes, but I do take enough pictures to see what we did each day and when.

I have a Nikon D40. I really like it, especially since it takes such nice pictures in low lighting and that's typically the atmosphere I most want to capture :thumbsup2

And you're very welcome! I'm so glad people are finding my reviews helpful. That's what I did them for!

Today was our sad day. Our leaving day. While I was mostly sad about the situation, I was also a bit happy and excited. As much as I want to say I could have lasted another 8 days, I needed to rest :lmao: And I was excited to get home to see my kitties!

We were going to get an early start, but I decided not to set my alarm clock for the first time in a week and let myself wake up naturally. And Jon won't wake up until I make him, so we both got an extra hour that day.

I had packed a lot the night before, so after I took my shower I really didn't have much more to do. We finally left our room around 10:30 and went to the lobby to check out. After we checked out, we walked around to take some last-minute pictures and I bought some snacks to take in the car with us:

DD9-1.jpg

Divvies caramel corn! I cannot express how amazing this caramel corn is. It has such a distinct hint of vanilla to it that makes it just outstanding. As soon as I ran out after a few days at home, I went to their website to see how I could order more. I may have to get some for Halloween! :thumbsup2

DD9-2.jpg

Popcorn ball. About your average popcorn ball. Similar to the individually wrapped Act II popcorn balls sold around Halloween.

DD9-18.jpg

Yeah, ok. We're on our way!

When we arrived at Downtown Disney, we headed straight to Disney Quest. Wasted about two hours of our lives in there. Will never go back, although the Pirates of the Caribbean game/attraction was kind of fun. Jon felt sick the entire time we were there, all because we rode Aladdin's Magic Carpets first. I didn't exactly feel good afterwards, but I got over it after a while. Poor Jon felt bad nearly half the way home.

So after DQ, we walked around and did our DTD shopping. When we went inside the magnet store, I saw these:
DD9-4.jpg

I just love fake food, no matter what it is. It's so cool!

And this:
DD9-3.jpg

Gross. I feel sorry for that woman's kids.

When we finally made it to the Art of Disney store, I ordered two Haunted Mansion poster prints for me and my sister. I wasn't aware that they were printed in the store, so we had about an hour to waste. Since this was the last store we wanted to go in, we decided to eat lunch. The only place I could think of that would have something we could eat was the Rainforest Cafe. And since it was pretty close, we decided to go there.

DD9-5.jpg

We didn't have to wait too long for a seat. But I've tried to block most of this experience out of my head, so I can't remember exactly how long it was.

DD9-6.jpg

DD9-11.jpg

We were seated pretty much in the middle of the restaurant.

DD9-8.jpg

DD9-7.jpg

Our server was.. not so good. She took our order quick enough. And our food came out quick enough. But our drinks took forever, and I had to wait at least 5-7 minutes after my food arrived to get a fork, because she would never come to our table.

I ordered some kind of sweet and sour vegetable/rice dish:
DD9-10.jpg

Waaaay too sweet. There must have been a cup of sugar in that sauce, because it was just gross. The only reason I ate it was because I was starving and needed something to fill me up.

Poor Jon.. I was hoping some food would help his headache and nausea that he aquired from DQ. But, of course, he ordered the restaurant's version of a veggie burger, and recieved this sad excuse for a meal:
DD9-9.jpg

I had never seen anything more pitiful in my entire life. Does this really qualify as a "Portabella Burger"? More like a red onion burger. And since he doesn't like red peppers, he asked for the burger without them. But they still put them on.

I was so sad for him, because he was really hungry. I offered him some of my food, but he wouldn't take any. He just continued to feel bad until we got to the car and he took some medicine.

Needless to say, that will be our last trip to the Rainforest Cafe unless their menu changes. I had originally planned for us to eat at The Wave restaurant in the Contemporary resort, but that would have just taken too much time and we really needed to get on the road. I will definitely make time for The Wave on our next trip, because I think we would both really enjoy it.

After picking up my posters, we finally headed out to leave WDW. Within minutes, we were leaving the Walt Disney World property and were on our way home:
DD9-19.jpg

We stopped at a Subway on the way home, but that's not exactly picture-worthy.

Ominous clouds, but only a few minutes of heavy rain. No traffic. Nine hours on the road, and we were home. :)

Coming Up: Store-bought snacks around World Showcase!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Our first trip to WDW was 2 years ago, on our honeymoon. As a vegetarian, I had a really hard time. We are going back in December, and I've cutted and pasted almost the entire thread!
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::yay::yay::yay:

That Rainforest meal is such a bummer. I've never really been a fan of that place. We have one locally and all my friends like it and I think it's just meh.

I really enjoyed your reviews. I am a meat-eater, but I love to eat vegetarian too, so this was great to read.:cheer2:

What a fantastic TR! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!

I don't know why but the tofu I had at Tusker House & Boma were awful! I felt they were way too overcooked and hated the texture. I had a bad experience at Boma as something I ate upset my stomach but with your TR I wonder if I should give it another chance. And I am HORRIFIED to find out that the samosas at Tusker House are normally fried with meat! The Chef took me around and NEVER mentioned that! Yech!

I had such a nice experience at the Plaza and sorry that you didn't. But it wasn't the best meal I had at WDW so I wouldn't be too upset about never going back.

I have one question, with the soups that your BF ate, did he ask about the stock? I was unaware that any places had veggie soup other than Boma and Jiko (not including the chili from Columbia Harbor House).

WOW that was alot food at Ohanas. :) Thanks for your reviews.

I don't know why but the tofu I had at Tusker House & Boma were awful! I felt they were way too overcooked and hated the texture. I had a bad experience at Boma as something I ate upset my stomach but with your TR I wonder if I should give it another chance. And I am HORRIFIED to find out that the samosas at Tusker House are normally fried with meat! The Chef took me around and NEVER mentioned that! Yech!

The tofu is also cooked in the same oil as the corn dogs. I found this out last week when I was in Disney. Which chef took you around? My boyfriend Michael (plasticletters) and I will be posting our vegan review soon on Tusker House as well as other restaurants (including Chef TJ!).

Yikes! There is such conflicting information!! I don't remember the name of the chef since it was back in February. It makes me want to be VERY cautious next time around.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Our first trip to WDW was 2 years ago, on our honeymoon. As a vegetarian, I had a really hard time. We are going back in December, and I've cutted and pasted almost the entire thread!
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::yay::yay::yay:

You're welcome! I'm glad the reviews were helpful :thumbsup2

That Rainforest meal is such a bummer. I've never really been a fan of that place. We have one locally and all my friends like it and I think it's just meh.

I really enjoyed your reviews. I am a meat-eater, but I love to eat vegetarian too, so this was great to read.:cheer2:

I don't think there are any Rainforest Cafes in Alabama. We enjoyed our food at the RC in Animal Kingdom on our last trip, so we didn't think it would be as bad as it turned out :sad2:

What a fantastic TR! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!

I had such a nice experience at the Plaza and sorry that you didn't. But it wasn't the best meal I had at WDW so I wouldn't be too upset about never going back.

I have one question, with the soups that your BF ate, did he ask about the stock? I was unaware that any places had veggie soup other than Boma and Jiko (not including the chili from Columbia Harbor House).

Thanks for reading! And I agree on the tofu at Tusker House and Boma. I didn't like either. The tofu at Boma wasn't horrible, but the tofu at Tusker House was just gross.

No, we didn't ask about the stock in the soup he had at Rose and Crown. He never thinks to do that. But I found the recipe online after we got back, and there aren't any meat stocks listed (I actually don't think any stocks were used). Just cream. :thumbsup2

What soups at Boma are vegetarian? I thought most contained chicken stock?

WOW that was alot food at Ohanas. :) Thanks for your reviews.

Thanks for reading!

My boyfriend Michael (plasticletters) and I will be posting our vegan review soon on Tusker House as well as other restaurants (including Chef TJ!).

I'm excited to read your reviews!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter