More or less energy?

Liz

Make a miracle!
When you first start a diet do you find you have more or less energy? I just started on Memorial day and feel like a wet rag most of the time! Maybe its just my body getting used to eating less. Sometimes I feel better than others, but I just wish I had a more energy. I know I should be exercising but I feel too worn out from just cleaning, etc.

More! I would guess that the reason you feel worn down is from what you are eating and you are probably not eating enough. I keep my carb count very low (below 20) when I am dieting, and below 60 when I am not. Carbohydrates (and sugar, a huge carb) will give you a quick high, but then bring you down real fast and keep you down. If you are eating carbs, try to cut way back on them (don't eat anything "white" ie: sugar, flour, rice, potatoes, etc.) and exercise. You will be amazed at how much energy you will have!

Thanks Mrs. Potato Head! Here's what my diet is like and would you mind telling me what you think (and anyone else)? This is a diet I was given by a doctor a few years ago. I just can't remember the exact ounce amounts he told me. He felt like it was a sensible diet that I could stay on forever. I was real successful for quite awhile but gradually ended up going back to old habits. I enjoy yummy, fatty foods toooooo much!!!

:) :)

Breakfast: cereal w/ small amount of skim milk (I've been eating 5 frosted mini-wheats w/milk)

Mid-morning snack: small piece of fruit

Lunch: Sandwich with a good, whole grain bread, 1 slice of low fat lunch meat, no mayo, etc., only mustard. Green veggie with lunch (if I put a lot of lettuce or spinich on my sandwich I count that)

Dinner: 1 chicken breast that I stir fry with veggies in a small amount of sauce (teriyaki or honey mustard)

Opinions? Thanks!

This is Mom-to-3.

My first reaction is: YOU ARE NOT EATING ENOUGH FOOD!!!

If you severely restrict your calories, your body will want to shut everything down in order to save itself.

I would suggest increasing your food by at least 50%, even more if you add exercise. Make your choices healthy ones, just more of them.

This is actually one of the reasons I'm enjoying weight watchers. You keep a tally of your foods and have to eat more if it's not been enough.

I'm heading out of town tomorrow. I look forward to hearing how things are going after I return June 8.

Liz, I agree with Mom-to-3! You are not eating enough! You should be eating 6 small meals a day. When you do not consume enough you body thinks that it is in starvation and will actually store body fat. You may want to check out the Atkins website www.atkinscenter.com. If it looks like something you can do, I would give it a try. You can eat so much food, you would be shocked. WW is another good option, but you still need to watch those carbs! Keep us informed.

I agree! You need to eat more healthy food! Stay away from the cereal for breakfast because it's all carbs/sugars and it will give you a quick boost of energy, but you will drop off quickly. Try something with more protein in the morning, like a couple of hard boiled eggs. I usually boil some on Sunday night to keep for the week so I can grab them as I run out the door before work! :)

Try having a salad for lunch, instead of a sandwich. Lots of veggies like dark green lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cucumbers, etc. Stay away from the no-fat or low-fat dressings because they have too much sugar (besides they taste horrible! ;) )

Your dinner looks good! A fish filet, or chicken breast, or a lean piece of beef or pork, with veggies is great!

Make sure you snack a little during the day - on healthy things. Almonds or macadamia nuts are a good choice. I also like to snack on slices of cheese, or beef sticks. Blueberries or strawberries are good too, but not too many while you're trying to lose because of the sugar.

Make sure you take a good multi-vitamin, and because you're a woman, take extra calcium and B-complex.

Good luck! You'll start noticing a difference right away! :D

Here's a link to a site that has lots of good recipes, as well as a great discussion board!
Low Carb Friends

Thanks for all the advice! :)

Since everyone thinks I'm not eating enough, I've decided to add in a couple of slices of Papa Murphy Chicago Style Stuffed Pizza for lunch!!! ;) :D :D :D :D (Oh boy wouldn't I like that!!!!!)

Liz, that sounds yummy! :D Be sure to only eat the toppings and throw away the rest! Make sure you get extra cheese!!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

As we speak I'm cooking two eggs for breakfast instead of the cereal. But I guess I don't really understand all the ins and outs of this.

By reading the labels, the cereal has a lot of carbs and sugar but is also high in fiber and low in fat.

The eggs are high in cholesterol and fat, and low in fiber. But they are lower in carbs.

So how is one any better than the other?

I did away with the cereal for breakfast thing and started having an omlette. I use a tiny bit of oil and fry the mushroom and onions, then add the egg beaters (it is the yolks that makes eggs so bad) I top it with a bit of tomato and it is all done. I have had way more energy and don't get the craving for the sugar mid-morning. For lunch I have a huge salad with at least 2 cups of mixed raw veggies. since I started doing this (and walking too) I have so much more energy. When I was having carbs for breakfast I was dragging by lunch time.

Liz: The secret is the sugar (or lack of it). Sugar/carbs affects your insulin level and turns to fat in your body. If you have too much sugar/carbs in the morning, you will get a quick burst of energy, but then you will crash mid-morning, causing you to want more sugar/carbs, and you'll begin the cycle all over again.

Whereas, if you have low sugar/carbs, but higher protein in the morning, your insulin level will remain at a nice steady level, giving you energy throughout the day! You won't get the high spikes and low crashes. You'll feel great all day long! :D

Contrary to popular belief (and doctors and universities and medical associations are beginning to find this out), eating fat doesn't make you fat. Fat needs sugars to work with in your body to be transformed into body fat. If you keep your sugar/carb intake at a lower level, then the fat you eat will go right through you without "sticking"!

Hi Liz...I agree with what everyone here has said.

Especially the comment on your Kcal intake being low.
My assumptions on your earlier diet, suggest you were taking in less than 1000Kcals per day.
I'd suggest that you calculate your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) to determine a working daily average of Kcals you should eat to maintain...then adjust from there.
You might also consider a MRB (Meal Replacement Bar) perhaps "Prue Protein" made by Worldwide Sports Nutrition to augment your intake if you don't have time to cook.

Hope this helps, Keep at it....it's worth it!

That was a horrible thing for her to say to you - she just wasn't thinking.

I would turn it around and make it a motivation!! You'll show her!!! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter